Deployment to Bagram, Afghan

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    My son will be deloying in April for 6 months with the Air Force and I'm looking for some input on what he should bring with him. I've been doing a lot of reading but looking to hear from the forum members on what they have to say or suggest. We've been asking if there was anything he wanted but as usual he says he has everything he needs. Thanks in advance.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Nice! Way to cover his needs. I think they all say they have everything they need. There are many guys here that did time over there.

Tell your son The Emperor said thanks, and stay safe!

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I never made it over there, but please give him a hug from an old retired Air Force Master Sergeant & tell him I said to come home safe!

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    It's been over 10 years since I was there. I heard from friends who were there recently that it's pretty much a normal base now. The only thing I remember that would still be useful is baby wipes, eye drops and a good pair of safety glasses/goggles. The sandstorms are pretty bad sometimes.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    There's a BX and a full AAFES there. He will be fine.

Hell there's even a burger king. Tell him to come home safe and thank him for his service.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Wow, when I was there it was a PX in a metal container and gp mediums. Sounds like he'll be just fine. Maybe sneak him some whiskey in Lipton Tea 2 liters or something.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Peppermint Schnapps (Ugh!) or Rumplemintz in Scope or Listerene bottles with green and blue food coloring... 10 drops green and 2 drop blue if I remember correctly.

Mad Dog 20/20 Grape (Even more Ugh!) in a Welches Grape Juice Bottle.

Tony Chassare's also sells boxes of individual packets that make for amazing galley meals or spicing up the MRE's.
    img_3043-m.jpg

Give him a printout of these recipes... if he actually is in the field, off the reservation...

The Best Field MRE Recipes

Last edited:

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    I passed through Bagram going on and returning from mid-tour leave September 09. The day I arrived on my way out on leave, I remember two female and one male soldiers sniveling about having to drive around the PX parking lot for almost 10 minutes before they could find a parking spot.
    He will be all right as long as he does not get hit with the occasional rocket or mortar.

may-vary-dark.jpg

Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    My kid finally made over there after about 5 days of travel. Said he wants us to send him a flashlight so I'm looking for some input on what to get him. Thanks in advance.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    In the event you're operating on a budget and don't want to start a "fundme" for a flashlight, Streamlight makes a great product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I find the Surefire hand held a to be very overrated. It's also important to find out what he needs it For. My guess is that he wants a general purpose see at night kind of light in which case a big, heavy, 300 lumen Surefire is way overkill. Stream light makes several good options.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I agree with VG on the "finding out what he needs it for". When I was deployed I had several Surefires, including a weaponlight, but the flashlight most useful for everyday carry was a Rayovac LED keychain light. It was compact, one-LED, used a single AAA battery, aluminum shell, O-ring gaskets, inexpensive, and almost unbreakable. Here's a link, but you can also usually find them at Walmart. I carry one everyday, even now.

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Bright-5-Lumen-Keychain-BRSLEDKEY-BMF/dp/B003H05C94

Last edited:

Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    I ordered the surefire G2X pro since it had two intensity levels and I wasn't exactly sure what his need was. Personally I don't believe I would have spent that much on myself but who knows once I try it I might have to order myself one.

Top Bottom