AAR: Frank Proctor--Performance Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    When I signed up for this course, Nate informed me that it would not be "what I was used to". He explained that Frank taught a way of thinking, instead of "a specific "thing" to do". We are all familiar with "hold it this way", etc. and yes, while Frank taught that as well, he also did indeed teach a way of thinking. I am a very technical and analytical person. I like hard facts. Data. Minutia that I can pour and obsess over. Not vague, hazy "Let it do..." type methods in relation to things I am trying to accomplish---and that was what Frank Proctor is ALL about.

But you know what? I was able to pick up what Frank Proctor was putting down. The guy is such a good teacher that he got through to me with the "Let it do..." without any "special-student" issues. It all clicked, made sense, and I was able to not only understand what he meant, but DO IT.

So let me preface this AAR with the fact that Frank Proctor is one of the best conveyors of concepts that I have ever met, irregardless of whether or not he has a degree in communications. The guy can flat-out take a concept out of his brain, and help you to put it into yours. Some people can do that, just like some people can free-hand a tattoo...and some people just can't. Frank certainly can.

Anyway, on to the AAR:

On day 1, we did the typical meet and greet "I am...I would like to learn...". The mood was light, there was some joking, it was a comfortable environment. Several shooters were new to these courses, and seemed to fit right in. The whole course was typified by this friendly, help-your-neighbor attitude. In fact, Frank made it a point to explain that at any given time only a few people are actually, truly focused on what a person is saying when they address a group, and that talking amongst ourselves would help fix this "gap". He is 100% accurate, and I like his realism of understanding that not 100% of everything comes across to 100% of those "listening". I also think that was part of the "focus" exercise that Frank did. I quickly began realizing that, yes, the scientists are right about human attention spans and true abilities to focus.

Speaking of focus, this is the first time I have ever TRULY seen my sights. Our first exercise was to see them. Fire at the target, one round every 1/2 second or so, and ACTUALLY SEE THEM. I saw them lift, the front higher than the rear, shooting off to about 12:15 or so, then 12, then 11:45, then 12:15. WOW! I was actually WATCHING my pistol cycle, and then when I finished, I looked at the target more closely. Wow. Very pleased! I learned not only whether or not my grip needed work (to make the sights track closer to 12 on the dot), but also to TRUST THE SIGHTS, because if the weapon is sighted in...that IS where the bullet is GOING TO GO!

Next, Frank asked us to watch the sights, and watch the cases as they eject. "Do they go forward? Back? Do they tumble? Do they just "float"? Can you see a whisp of smoke come out of an open case mouth?"

I thought the guy was nuts. Or maybe some zen-master who ate air or something. But I did what he said. I watched the sights, and I watched the cases...I could actually SEE THEM. I could actually tell WHAT THEY WERE DOING....WOW! Yeah, mine ejected up, over, and back to about 4, while spinning. I had no clue I could really and truly "see" all of these things.

That was what Frank was building up to the whole two days...your eyes and your brain ("Supercomputer on your shoulders") as he called it, is EXTREMELY capable...if we just..."Let it do..."

We did numerous other drills teaching that "supercomputer" what "right" (sights properly aligned on target) "looked like", each one forcing us to use more and more of it, and to trust it more (such as walking between barrels while firing at numbered targets in numerical vs. geographic proximity).

By the end of the two days, I have not only a new-found respect for my "Supercomputer", but also learned better how to hold my pistol, how to move efficiently, and how to just "Let it do...", as Frank puts it.

During the entire course, safety was made first and foremost. The course, the instructor, and the facilities were all the kind of top-notch experience that I have come to expect when I sign up for training hosted by Advantage Group. (http://www.advantagegrouptraining.com/)

If you want to improve, I highly suggest contacting them!

Here are a few videos of me that someone was kind enough to film during the course. During this first video, you will observe my pistol suffered a FTRB. I was using manufacture reloads by "Military Ballistics Industries". I had a total of 2 of these failures over roughly 1100 rounds. The ammunition shot very clean, was plenty accurate, and seemed to recoil very consistently. I did note, however, that some cases had a bit more of a bulge where the bullet seated than others. I do not know if it was this, or my gloves possibly slowing the slide that caused the issue.

The amazing thing to me about these failures is that both times, I saw them happen, observed that I saw the bullet while I cycled the slide, and processed it as a FTRB with a live round, all during the time it took me to clear it. When Frank asked me (he watched this first malfunction) what had happened, I was able to tell him EXACTLY what went wrong. It's amazing what the "Supercomputer" can pick up on if you train it to, and "let it do". Proof in the pudding, there!

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Thanks for the great review! I really wanted to make it, but the timing just didn't work out for me- baby had her first birthday. If he comes back, I definitely want to go. And thanks for the videos. Looks like you did some good shooting.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I was very fortunate to take his performance pistol class about a month ago and I have to say that Frank's approach to instruction and shooting is very unique and awesome.

Its pretty neat when you get your mind out the way and let the pistol shoot what the outcome can be.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    You know when people say to go to classes with an open mind ready to learn? Yeah! Your mind better be WIDE open! If you let it, it will do! I kept hearing this and had no friggin clue what the hell it meant. By the end of the class I was, *LETTING IT DO" and it was !!!

Its a must do class!

hdjntdt0a1081eyilans.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom