Berger bullets for hunting application

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Has anyone have any real life experiences using Berger bullets for hunting whitetail deer? Does it actually dump all of its energy inside the chest cavity or is there an exit wound as well? Does it actually drop them in their tracks as advertised?

I have used Barnes TTSX bullets this year with one deer dropping in its track and one running off, which took 2 days to find because there was no blood trail even though the shot was right in the vitals. I like to experiment with different loads / powder / bullet combo in all my guns so that is where I am headed.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    3 Whitetail, 4 Mule deer, 1 Elk and 1 Hog. Only one ran off and that was not me shooting and it was a poor shot in the low stomach but it DESTROYED the deer. I have no idea how it ran. All of those were killed with 7mm 180 Hunting VLD's. They work great but as always shot placement is key. Another big mule deer was killed this year with a 200 gr .30 Hybrid and it was DRT but was a spine shot so anything would have done that. I would not hesitate to hunt with the Hybrid target bullets. That is what Gunwerks loads for their 7LRM ammo they sell and it obviously works on Elk at ELR distances.

VLD's can be picky to get to shoot tight groups. Jamming them 0.010" is usually best. If you don't want the headache get some Hybrids and start by jumping them about 0.025".

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    There is no magic bullet that drops deer in their tracks. The only way to 100% drop a deer is a CNS hit. Some disabling shots (like in the shoulder) can seriously impair a deer. If it's not in the CNS, and they want to run, they will run till the oxygen runs out.

IMO, "dumping all the energy" into the game is snake oil marketing. Destroy the heart/lungs and leaving a good blood trail is what you want/need (if you can't/won't get a CNS shot), once you have blown a hole completely through your game, there isn't much else you can do.

A good bullet should be accurate and expand, but not fall apart. It should break bones and deviate as little as possible in it's path.

Get good at tracking, learn some tricks (like marking each drop with toilet paper to really see the path).... I actually find that to be one of the most fun things to do when hunting.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Barney - do you have the Berger reloading book? If so, could you post for me the load data (or a picture of the page) for the 7mm08 with a 140g bullet. I have 4895, 4350 and H380 powders right now.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Barney - do you have the Berger reloading book? If so, could you post for me the load data (or a picture of the page) for the 7mm08 with a 140g bullet. I have 4895, 4350 and H380 powders right now.
    Send berger an email and they will just give you the loads for that bullet

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    A key factor many people overlook is range. It's hard to ask a bullet tough enough to stand up to a shoulder strike at 50 yards to expand well with an all flesh shot at 400. Consider your hunting situation first then select your rifle/ammo accordingly.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    A key factor many people overlook is range. It's hard to ask a bullet tough enough to stand up to a shoulder strike at 50 yards to expand well with an all flesh shot at 400. Consider your hunting situation first then select your rifle/ammo accordingly.

I have. Shoot Better, Shoot Berger!

WAYYYY too much ******** is talked about bullet did this, bullet didn't do that. SHOT PLACEMENT is where its at.

442 yards DRT. Not 1 single step.

fv93x4.jpg

620 yards DRT.

125kx7n.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom