Primitive weapons or what ever it is called by LDWF...... why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I had the chance to shoot a single shot .444 yesterday using a polymer tipped bullet and beside a nasty kick it shot pretty good. I personally don't see how these are classified as primitive weapons. This gun is a true center fire and I'm guessing is easily good for at least a 200 yard shot. I know this gives some people more time in the woods and I guess this equals more deer killed but the guns they list as primitive weapons are anything but that. Why not just set the season a little longer and allow any weapon that is normally allowed during deer season to be used. It seems to be a farce to me.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The first reason is that the Primitive Weapons season as it is now does generate more much needed license revenue for the state. It also encourages more sales of equipment and thus more tax revenue. It also gets more people in the woods who then spend other money to do so, thus more revenue. If you think of it this way, a single shot with an exposed hammer is in a way "primitive" when compared to main stream deer rifles and assorted equipment available today.

I answer to your question of "why". We have been following the lead of the state of Mississippi from the beginning in regards to "Primitive Weapons" and I have heard a rumor that Mississippi plans to abandon the concept and just go ahead and lengthen the regular season. I don't know if that is true or not. Time will tell.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I had the chance to shoot a single shot .444 yesterday using a polymer tipped bullet and beside a nasty kick it shot pretty good. I personally don't see how these are classified as primitive weapons. This gun is a true center fire and I'm guessing is easily good for at least a 200 yard shot. I know this gives some people more time in the woods and I guess this equals more deer killed but the guns they list as primitive weapons are anything but that. Why not just set the season a little longer and allow any weapon that is normally allowed during deer season to be used. It seems to be a farce to me.

I often tell folks that my 45/70 is about as primitive (as accuracy goes), as my I-Phone. I actually traded for it here. I found the cartridges it loves, and I can drive tacks at 100yds. Now, remember; you don't have to use these weapons that predate 1875 (or whatever the date they used was). You can still go out there in the woods, where the trees are bare, the does are bred, and the bucks are hibernating till next year, get within 40 yards (yeah right), and try to shoot a deer with a stick if you want. Hell, if you really want a challenge use a recurve. :p That to me, is what is important. having the choice! I have hung up my bow, I will never use a black powder gun again, and choose to use the 45/70 Govt. Handi-Rifle.

The first reason is that the Primitive Weapons season as it is now does generate more much needed license revenue for the state. It also encourages more sales of equipment and thus more tax revenue. It also gets more people in the woods who then spend other money to do so, thus more revenue. If you think of it this way, a single shot with an exposed hammer is in a way "primitive" when compared to main stream deer rifles and assorted equipment available today.

I answer to your question of "why". We have been following the lead of the state of Mississippi from the beginning in regards to "Primitive Weapons" and I have heard a rumor that Mississippi plans to abandon the concept and just go ahead and lengthen the regular season. I don't know if that is true or not. Time will tell.

This^ is correct! However, I too; believe that we will eventually have a "weapon of choice" type scenario here in Louisiana. It makes sense in a lot of ways. For me, I am on DMAP. I have does tags left. It would be great to be able to fill those tags with my deer killing Browning. Now, on DMAP, I can still use my 45/70 even though it is archery only, and bucks only in my areas. But even with that, you still have to see them in order to shoot at them with anything. I just went 3 hunts in a row and didn't see a deer of any sex.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Mississippi did almost eliminate primitive weapons this year on private or leased land. With the exception of the first primitive weapon season, approximately the first week of November, you could use rifle of choice.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh, and by the way; anyone under 17 can still use rifles during the primitive season! I would like to see this immediately applied to women; if there are no plans for everyone to use them all the way through.

The biggest problem facing the Department and the deer hunting community is not what weapons people use to kill deer, it's maintaining enough places for more folks to hunt while keeping it reasonably affordable. Private leases are great, but that market is getting ridiculously priced out of reach to the average person. Public lands are great, but have some drawbacks. It is hard to get new people in when they realize how expensive it can get just to get started.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The only thing primitive about my 35 whelen with Nikon BDC scope is the caveman pulling the trigger, but the price was excellent to get me started hunting without spending a fortune.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Mississippi did almost eliminate primitive weapons this year on private or leased land. With the exception of the first primitive weapon season, approximately the first week of November, you could use rifle of choice.

And that is the way to do it. I don't have a problem if they leave public lands out of the picture because some folks may actually enjoy using a primitive weapon like a bow, and it would be annoying to have rifles going off all around.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The only thing primitive about my 35 whelen with Nikon BDC scope is the caveman pulling the trigger, but the price was excellent to get me started hunting without spending a fortune.

I must admit, I don't know how they grouped it in with primitive. Hell, some of them look more modern than my 30.06 cartridges. :mamoru:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

Love my H & R .35 Whelen, it's good for 300 yards all day long (i'm not but it is). I bring it during rifle season quite often as it's short and manuvers well in a stand. If you ever plan on making a trip up north or to the midwest to hunt most states are MUZZLE LOADER only for primitive.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Mine is a CVA, I use Barnes TTSX 180 grain loads, they are devastating.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I also hear rumors that Louisiana is thinking of adding single shot exposed hammer pistols of 35 cal or larger to primitive weapon season to bring in more in line with the muzzleloader definitions which do allow muzzleloader handguns. This would allow the T/C Contender and Encore handguns.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    image.jpg

Using the Knight .50 today!

Last edited:

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    I also hear rumors that Louisiana is thinking of adding single shot exposed hammer pistols of 35 cal or larger to primitive weapon season to bring in more in line with the muzzleloader definitions which do allow muzzleloader handguns. This would allow the T/C Contender and Encore handguns.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're considering any handgun for use during the "primitive" season. I'm sure there would be a minimum caliber and barrel length though. 4-5" would be my guess.

Had a fairly detailed breakdown in an email a while back but can't seem to find it.

Did locate this
    http://louisianaconservationist.org/2015/01/proposed-hunting-changes-for-next-year/

Last edited:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches

Works for me........

75 yards, .375 Winchester, 4x Leupold. Dropped where it stood

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Mississippi did not change the seasons. They changed the rules. Giving us what we wanted without giving up any revenue. All primitive weapon seasons are still in place and you have to purchase the primitive weapon license to hunt those seasons. The rule change is that you can use weapon of choice for all primitive weapon seasons after Nov. 30.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    As stated before, I think it is about money. More licenses sold, more tax dollars collected from us buying new gear. Same with allowing crossbows. A LOT of people went out and spent big $$ on crack barrel rifles and crossbows in order to be able to extent their season without having to get right on game.
    I would have said a couple years ago it also helped with our over population of deer, but is seems the deer have gotten smarter. I did not see nearly as many during daylight this year as in years past!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    As stated before, I think it is about money. More licenses sold, more tax dollars collected from us buying new gear. Same with allowing crossbows. A LOT of people went out and spent big $$ on crack barrel rifles and crossbows in order to be able to extent their season without having to get right on game.
    I would have said a couple years ago it also helped with our over population of deer, but is seems the deer have gotten smarter. I did not see nearly as many during daylight this year as in years past!
    I agree, I went out and bought a H&R 45/70, Haven't shot the first deer with it, Did shoot a big boar one evening, He ran one way, I ran the other way...

Top Bottom