Honey Island Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • visco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pearl River
    Used to be you had to use the management area sign in/out cards when going to the range. Now you get a number like at Wal-Mart's deli.
    Do you still need a LDWLF license to use the range? The reason I ask is I am working with a couple of Canadian nationals who would like to shoot.
    Canada has very strict gun laws so they don't get a chance to fire handguns at home.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From their website:

We get more questions about this one issue than for all other questions combined!

A Louisiana Hunting or Fishing licenses or Wild Louisiana Stamp is required to enter the Wildlife Management Area (WMA). This is not our rule, but a Department of Wildlife and Fisheries rule. You must have one of these to come onto the WMA at any time! These can be obtained online from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

There is some confusion with the new WMA permit. The WMA permit is a separate permit that one must have in addition to a regular hunting license ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT HUNT in a WMA. The new WMA permit is required for hunters to use the WMA, but is NOT required for shooters who wish to use the range. It is also not required to enter the WMA for other non-sporting purposes.

However, if you are coming to the range to shoot, you still must have a Hunting or Fishing license or a Wild Louisiana Stamp to enter the WMA.

If that confuses you too much, go to this page on their site and there is nice info-graphic if you scroll down. http://honeyisland.org/info.htm

But in short, to step foot on the WMA, you need at minimum a one day Wild Louisiana Stamp that will set you back a whole $2.00 of your hard earned money.
    Once you have that, you can drive straight to the range without filling out the self clearing permit at the entrance. When you are done at the range, you have to drive straight out the WMA. If you want to drive down one of the roads to sight see, you need to first go to the self clearing station and fill out the permit. See this thread: http://http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?124390-Encounter-with-wildlife-agent-at-Honey-Island&highlight=honey+island

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    I was there from 2:15 - 4 today, eh. Last 2 times I've been, they haven't checked anything, DL, Hunting Lic. Nothing, eh. I signed the book and gave em $6. Got my "deli number" eh. I asked if they needed anything else, eh. He said, put your eyes and ears on, eh. Maybe it depends on who's working the table, eh?

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I was there from 2:15 - 4 today, eh. Last 2 times I've been, they haven't checked anything, DL, Hunting Lic. Nothing, eh. I signed the book and gave em $6. Got my "deli number" eh. I asked if they needed anything else, eh. He said, put your eyes and ears on, eh. Maybe it depends on who's working the table, eh?

They never check for any kind of licenses at check in. It's not their job or their responsibility, eh.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    The ones to check the licenses would be Wildlife and Fisheries. the guys at the range deal with traffic in and out of the range, reimbursement, and safety.

Last time I went, they had installed this "new" system, and of course I didn't fully understand how it worked. I had an idea, obviously, but wasn't going to assume. The range officer at the front was a total smart ass about it. I had two new shooters with me too. I wish those guys would check their attitude sometimes.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I recently brought a clan of family from Texas to HI. They were able to purchase non resident one day fishing licenses for $5/ea. Of course the little ones weren't required to be licensed.

Get your Canadian friends licenses. The odd of you getting stopped and fined are slim, but that's no excuse to break the law, and the fine is steep if you do get caught.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The Wild Louisiana Stamp is the cheapest way to be in conformance with law. $2.00 for the one day stamp. But if you'd rather give the state of Louisiana $5.00 instead, go for it.

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    They never check for any kind of licenses at check in. It's not their job or their responsibility, eh.

Thanks nolaradio. After reading this, I guess it makes sense.....I guess. They don't have authority to check a DWLF license. Is that the reason?

Funny how private ranges require to see your DL and this range doesn't check anything. Why the difference?

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I guess because it's not the range's responsibility to verify whether you are legally entering a WMA. It's not the range's land.

On a related issue... The range safety officers there won't check to see if you're legally possessing a full auto firearm or silencer. They aren't law enforcement either. I really like knowing they won't try to interpret whats legal and what's not... Like if I decide to shoulder my AR pistol. ;)

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    Correct, the range officers are only there to ensure safety and hover over you giving horrible unsolicitated shooting advice.

LOL. I'm lucky so far I guess. I haven't had any unsolicited advice yet. So far, the guys have been pretty cool.
    I really appreciate the safety aspect though.

Also, I went back and re-read nolaradio's post. I should have looked closer before. The link to their site and the "recap rules" under the license fees section explains it pretty well.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Think of it this way.

You get carded entering a bar. If you're let in, the bartender assumes that you are of legal drinking age and they don't ask for your ID again when ordering a drink.

You enter the WMA so the range assumes that you have the correct license to be on the property.

Does that make sense?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It's a requirement. A legal requirement. If you are checked, or not, the requirement is still in effect. If you decide that spending a couple of bucks is out of your income bracket, I suggest that you would be better served spending your ammo money on food instead.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    The Wild Louisiana Stamp is the cheapest way to be in conformance with law. $2.00 for the one day stamp. But if you'd rather give the state of Louisiana $5.00 instead, go for it.
    I think in that case it was because his people were from TX, aren't the laws different for out of state folks?
    I recently brought a clan of family from Texas to HI. They were able to purchase non resident one day fishing licenses for $5/ea. Of course the little ones weren't required to be licensed.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I think in that case it was because his people were from TX, aren't the laws different for out of state folks?

The requirement for stepping foot on the WMA is the same regardless of residency.

Hunting and/or fishing licenses have different requirements for out of state residents.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    The requirement for stepping foot on the WMA is the same regardless of residency.

Hunting and/or fishing licenses have different requirements for out of state residents.

Correct but aren't the costs way more for out of staters?

Regards,
    Todd
    Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Correct but aren't the costs way more for out of staters?

Regards,
    Todd

I believe a Wild Louisiana Stamp is $2 for Residents and Non-Residents. Fishing and Hunting Licenses are exponentially more expensive.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    I believe a Wild Louisiana Stamp is $2 for Residents and Non-Residents. Fishing and Hunting Licenses are exponentially more expensive.

I wish ;

Non-Resident (NR ) Hunting Fees

Basic Season (excluding Big Game)
    $150.00
    Big Game1
    $150.00
    Bow
    $26.00
    Small Game/Migratory Bird (1 day)7
    $29.00
    Deer (1 day)7
    $36.00
    Turkey (1 day)7
    $36.00
    Primitive Firearm
    $26.00
    LA Duck
    $25.00
    Louisiana Wild Turkey3
    $20.50
    Harvest Information Program (HIP)4
    FREE
    Hunting Preserve (Oct. 1 - April 30)
    $15.00
    NR La. native Basic Trip (5 days, excluding Big Game)
    $15.00
    NR La. native Big Game Trip (5 days)1
    $14.00
    NR La. native Bow Trip (5 days)
    $10.50
    NR La. native Primitive Firearm Trip (5 days)
    $10.50
    NR La. native Turkey Trip (5 days)
    $5.50
    NR La. native Duck (5 days)
    $5.50
    Federal Electronic Duck Stamp
    $16.72

Regards,
    Todd

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wish ;

Non-Resident (NR ) Hunting Fees

Basic Season (excluding Big Game)
    $150.00
    Big Game1
    $150.00
    Bow
    $26.00
    Small Game/Migratory Bird (1 day)7
    $29.00
    Deer (1 day)7
    $36.00
    Turkey (1 day)7
    $36.00
    Primitive Firearm
    $26.00
    LA Duck
    $25.00
    Louisiana Wild Turkey3
    $20.50
    Harvest Information Program (HIP)4
    FREE
    Hunting Preserve (Oct. 1 - April 30)
    $15.00
    NR La. native Basic Trip (5 days, excluding Big Game)
    $15.00
    NR La. native Big Game Trip (5 days)1
    $14.00
    NR La. native Bow Trip (5 days)
    $10.50
    NR La. native Primitive Firearm Trip (5 days)
    $10.50
    NR La. native Turkey Trip (5 days)
    $5.50
    NR La. native Duck (5 days)
    $5.50
    Federal Electronic Duck Stamp
    $16.72

Regards,
    Todd

Nowhere on the Non-Resident list lists a Wild Louisiana Stamp, only on the Resident list. I've taken many friends, from MS, to Honey Island and we always bought a 1 day Wild Louisiana Stamp. Go to the WMA and fill out the card that we are bird watching lol.

Top Bottom