Acadiana-Area Tactical Pistol & Carbine Courses- Phobos Solutions March 14 and 15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    Hello All,

I wanted to get online and spread the word concerning some quality tactical firearms training that will be coming to the Acadiana area next month that is being hosted by Phobos Solutions out of the NOLA area. They will be offering a Basic Pistol course on March 14th and a Basic Carbine course on 3/15 at the New Iberia Parish Sheriff's Range, with the hope of building a solid pool of students/shooters to the point where they can offer local classes on a monthly basis. I've attached the flyers for the courses to this post.

I have been shooting guns for over twenty-five years and have only recently started taking tactical firearms training classes, but I've been lucky enough to take some quality courses with Phobos Solutions, VATA and Advantage Group- all quality organizations who strive to teach students effective ways to utilize their firearms. I have found the instructors at Phobos Solutions to be top-notch- knowledgeable, enthusiastic and eager to help every student from beginner to advanced to develop their firearms skills. Here is a video that one of the instructors did for an upcoming episode of Trigger Time TV, which will give you an idea of their teaching style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwHn2UGoFFE.

I highly encourage those of you that are interested to check out their website http://www.phobossolutions.com and get registered for these courses. I don't have any skin in this game but am just excited about the prospect of having regular, quality tactical firearms instruction in the Acadiana area. Hope to see some of you there next month!

ElCid

Basic Pistol Flyer 2015JPEG.jpgBasic Carbine flyer 2015jpeg.jpg

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Interesting. I am from Lafayette and could not be more pleased with the training I have had so far from the Advantage Group guys. Even so, I am glad to see anything going on in the Acadiana area. There is a serious lack of availability of competitive shooting or group training here. You pretty much have to drive 2 hours to do anything.

ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    I am very interested in this and plan on going if I have that weekend off.

daybreak, glad you want to attend- it will be a fun weekend! Don't let the "basic" in the course names fool you- the instructors will tell you that just about everyone regardless of previous training takes plenty away from these courses. You will definitely walk away a better shooter than you were before. :)

ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    Just wondering what makes it tactical? Serious question. Are there going to be room clearing drills or automobiles involved or???

Hey Barney, I'm happy to give you an answer from my own experiences, but I'd also encourage you to contact the instructors at Phobos as they will be able to answer your questions much better than I can, and I also don't want to speak for them as to the curriculum of their classes. Short answer is that these courses will try and infuse a certain mindset with you regarding self-defense, and I think it all starts there- that's most important thing. They can also cover things such as multiple target engagements, various types of reloads that are based upon different situations, remedial action for different malfunctions, shooting around barricades, etc. There are more advanced classes such as low-light, vehicle, advanced concealed carry, etc. that are offered but these "basic" courses offer a progression of training that gives you the foundation to prepare you for those courses. However, don't let the "basic" in the name throw you off- everyone seems to take away plenty from the classes, including law enforcement professionals who I've seen attend these.

I can also speak for myself as to this these training courses and their effectiveness- like I mentioned above I've been shooting for over twenty-five years and always have considered myself as having a good skill level with firearms. However, after taking several of these courses over the last few months my skills have improved dramatically and I realize how much I really didn't know! The old adage "you don't know, what you don't know" is very accurate when it comes to training and was personally spot-on. I can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I shot off over the years that were wasted (even though I had fun wasting them) compared to the immediate feedback and constructive criticism you get after firing a few rounds from these instructors. They can diagnose any issues and offer instruction on how better to employ your weapons, rather than have you reinforce the same old bad habits. Hope that somewhat answers your question Barney and I hope that I didn't get too long winded. Please let me know if you have anything else that you want to know and again please contact Phobos Solutions directly, as they can answer anything much better than I can. Hope you can make it next month!

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Thanks for the reply. I may be the one off base and this maybe semantics but IMO when I hear tactical, "...spread the word concerning some quality tactical firearms training that will be coming..." then my mind goes to tactics. As in how to do XYZ while using a firearm. Such as, room clearing, shooting from a vehicle, shooting with others in the room, moving in a stack, ect. Something other than the use of a firearm. From your last post it seems like it will be more on how to employ your weapon and reload / clear malfunctions ect. Just becoming more proficient with a firearm. Not necessarily tactically using one. Again probably semantics, not trying to start a pissing match.

To put it another way because my analogy above may have been vague. Going to a fire class and learning how to use a fire extinguisher. Versus learning tactics on how to put out a fire. Cutting vent holes, checking for back draft, ect.

Last edited:

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    Thanks for the reply. I may be the one off base and this maybe semantics but IMO when I hear tactical, "...spread the word concerning some quality tactical firearms training that will be coming..." then my mind goes to tactics. As in how to do XYZ while using a firearm. Such as, room clearing, shooting from a vehicle, shooting with others in the room, moving in a stack, ect. Something other than the use of a firearm.

I agree 100%. If it's actually tactical, I think its a great thing...I'm definately interested. I would like to see scenarios of maybe some physical hand to hand training. Like when someone might be trying to get you gun from you. How to handle yourself in a close contact situation. Or what to do in a crowded room when someone enters with a gun. How to handle yourself physically is just as important as shooting straight.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I agree 100%. If it's actually tactical, I think its a great thing...I'm definately interested. I would like to see scenarios of maybe some physical hand to hand training. Like when someone might be trying to get you gun from you. How to handle yourself in a close contact situation. Or what to do in a crowded room when someone enters with a gun. How to handle yourself physically is just as important as shooting straight.

You want to take a class with craig douglas:

http://www.advantagegrouptraining.com/ai1ec_event/shivworks-e-c-q-c-2/?instance_id=224

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Dang guys yall give people a rough time when it comes to the word "tactical" its just the use of a word to help describe some good training but I guess all the different BS on youtube with all these "instructors" has ruined it for everyone. Swampman those are very real scenarios but there are so many variables in each of them that I cant even count. These are great classes by great instructors and if your fundamentals arent 100% then further training wont help much. I haven't been in that situation and hope to never be but ive been told by people that have that everything goes out the window and you fall back on the basics in that situation. So once againif your fundamentals and mindset arent 100% then all the training in the world wont help much

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Did you read the preceding posts?
    I believe it was a legit question about what was being taught. There are right and wrong was to go about things, knowing the end effects of ones actions can lead you to a better mindset in the midst of a problem.
    This wasn't asking "What makes that Sightmark red dot your selling Tactical?".

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    The word has meaning and when it is used to try to elevate a product or bring attention to a service or training without any merit I lose interest and it screams mall ninja quick.

It's no secret I'm a rifle guy, I can't hardly go to a public range and not get asked "Is that a SNIPER rifle?" I could **** my #*!@ING underwear every time. Well it would be if I handed it to a Sniper but so would a Ruger 10/22 so.... I usually respond with "No I have never done that type of work", what I usually get is a blank stare.

Words have meaning use them properly. Not paint something flat black, call it TACTICAL and double the price. That's where my red ass for the term originates.

Last edited:

ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    I realize that the term "tactical" is probably overused today, but I in no way attempted to misrepresent myself or the training that Phobos Solutions will be offering when I used that term in this post. I was simply trying to convey that the training next month in New Iberia was going to go above and beyond something like a typical CHP course, and I resent it if anyone is accusing me of falsely advertising the type of training that will be offered.

In the "basic" courses that I have taken I have learned how to utilize barricades for cover and also contact shoot (hold slide of pistol and engage by pressing muzzle into target, fire a round without letting a round chamber, rack a round in while taking a step away from the target and then engaging with follow-up shots) amongst many other drills. Not sure what kind of training others have received, but for myself I would say that is more advanced than anything that I or lot of other shooters have engaged in and deals with close contact with an adversary similar to the areas of interest that swampman1 pointed out.

Not trying to get into a pissing match over terminology or semantics, either, but just want to make sure that everyone understands that I wasn't trying to misrepresent anything by using the term "tactical".

Last edited:

ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    Barney it's all good, sir- sorry if I bristled a bit with my response. Appreciate the well-wishes with the class and if you're interested and attend be sure to locate me. I'd love to shake hands and make your acquaintance.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I realize that the term "tactical" is probably overused today, but I in no way attempted to misrepresent myself or the training that Phobos Solutions will be offering when I used that term in this post. I was simply trying to convey that the training next Month in New Iberia was going to go above and beyond something like a typical CHP course, and I resent it if anyone is accusing me of falsely advertising the type of training that will be offered.

In the "basic" courses that I have taken I have learned how to utilize barricades for cover and also contact shoot (hold slide of pistol and engage target by pressing muzzle into target, fire a round without letting a round chamber, rack a round in while taking a step away from the target and then engaging with follow-up shots) amogst many other drills. Not sure what kind of training others have received, but for myself I would say that is more advanced than anything that I or lot of other shooters have engaged in and deals with close contact with an adversary that deals with some of the areas of interest that swampman1 pointed out.

Not trying to get into a pissing match over terminology or semantics, either, but just want to make sure that everyone understands that I wasn't trying to misrepresent anything by using the term "tactical".

It's seems like some tactical training to me! If I'm not mistaking isn't the guy in the video a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office swat team member? I think he is but I could be wrong. If he is I would think he could offer some real world training to people willing to learn. Hell I'd go out on a limb and say anyone taking the course is likely to learn something that would benefit them in a situation we as civilians are most likely to encounter. I really don't need to know how to breach a door or work with a group of mall ninja operators in a in a tactical stack either.

Last edited:

ElCid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    It's seems like some tactical training to me! If I'm not mistaking isn't the guy in the video a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office swat team member? I think he is but I could be wrong. If he is I would think he could offer some real world training to people willing to learn. Hell I'd go out on a limb and say anyone taking the course is likely to learn something that would benefit them in a situation we as civilians are most likely to encounter. I really don't need to know how to breach a door or work with a group of mall ninja operators in a in a tactical stack either.

Hey Peacemaker, you are correct- the instructor shown and the others that make up Phobos all have real world experience in law enforcement and have "been there, done that", so they are an invaluable resource for students and do a great job of conveying the lessons that they have learned in the classes. Here are their bios from the Phobos Solutions website: http://www.phobossolutions.com/instructors.html.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah I WOULD NEVER want to be in a room with live fire from others in a weekend class nor EVER need to move in a stack. It is just "what I came up with" trying to think in terms of actual tactics. I bet I sound like the biggest mall ninja with that comment. Feel free to flame me for it as I'm sure it was quite hilarious, but I'm not going to edit it because I'm not a ***** and can take the heat :). Again sorry for the derail. Going put on my tactical nomex. :flamed:

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Thanks Barney for clarifying your posts and I also would like to say I may have jumped on this thread in the wrong way but it looked to me like people were trolling the thread. These instuctors all have real world experience and the classes are great you will learn something if you choose to come take part. I have been shooting for quite a while and have taken a lot of classes and I usually go back and take Basic or a Level 1 class and learn something new every time.

Top Bottom