To laser or not to laser

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I am currently looking at a few laser or light accessories for the Ruger LCP. I guess right off I should ask for feedback on even placing a laser or light on this weapon.

Some background, the only weapon I have ever had a light or laser on has been my AR's (Personal Preference). So adding a light to a pistol, much less a pocket micro pistol is a big change for me. Given the choice, Laser or Light?

Here's what I've been looking at so far...

1. Crimson Trace Laserguard
    2. Veridian Laserguard Green Laser
    3. Veridian Laserguard Light
    4. Lasermax laser

All of which are molded to the shape of the pistol and attach to the trigger guard. Veridian seems to be the only brand that offers the light option. Most of the other brands offer either red or green lasers. Unfortunately there's no option for a laser and light combo yet (my luck it will come out the day I purchase one or the other).

So, is a laser/light really necessary on a pocket pistol? Does it give you an advantage that would be worth adding it to the pistol? Anyone with experience on this firearm and accessory, please chime in!

Thanks in advance.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is it necessary? No.
    Does it give you an advantage? Not in my opinion.

I don't have experience with a laser on an LCP, but I do have experience with a LCP. I see it as a point shoot firearm for 0-10 feet. I believe Ruger updated the LCP with a custom shop LCP, but the firearm that I handled was when they were first released. The nubbin sights were damn near useless for any accurate shooting. However, the LCP has it's place. Honestly, if the LCP was my only choice, I would not mount a light or laser. Rather, I would carry a handheld light weak side.

Edit -

This is the link to Ruger's Custom Shop LCP
    http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-01-19.html

Ruger-LCP-Custom.jpg

Ruger-LCP-Custom-11.jpg

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have the custom... and I am actually customizing it even further. I recently sold my older LCP and purchased a new one (specifically for the sights). I don't like the trigger, in fact, after modifying my old LCP, it was amazing! I put in the Galloway Precision Sweat Pea Adjustable Trigger, the reduced power hammer spring, and the 13lb recoil spring set. I also had the stainless guide rod, which comes with the custom, the Hogue grip sleeve, and the tool-less take-down pin which I just ordered.

With the modifications to the trigger and springs, it made a WORLD of difference. I've never been a fan of a red trigger... so I may re-install the adjustable Sweet Pea Trigger. I did add some "Glow On" to the front sight of my older LCP which helped out a lot on the "nubs"... but I will say that the sights on the custom make this little pistol SO much more usable.

Thanks for the input on the light, this is going to be a deep conceal weapon only... so it would be used in the event all other options have been exhausted.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I'm gonna go with Dave- no attachments. The point of the LCP is to be a small, last-ditch weapon. I wouldn't do anything to make it any bigger.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The best thing its got goin for it is that its small, why modify to take its strength away? Just speaking for myself, I can't imagine using that gun at a distance where I'd need a laser anyway.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The idea of a laser always puzzled me. You're looking for an aiming device that can break, easily washes out, and doesn't have a reference which means you need to find it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I can see where there could be an advantage having a laser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The idea of a laser always puzzled me. You're looking for an aiming device that can break, easily washes out, and doesn't have a reference which means you need to find it.

I have used lasers and haven't had the problem of them breaking and I guess they could wash out but haven't really had that problem. Same could be said for RDS on handguns.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use a laser on my Glock simply because I can't acquire both my target and my sights due to poor vision. The laser has never given me any issues in day or night, cause I know generally where I'm pointing it and it's pretty bright.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I have used lasers and haven't had the problem of them breaking and I guess they could wash out but haven't really had that problem. Same could be said for RDS on handguns.

Good red dots dont wash out and drawing to the same position creates a reference point. If I can't draw to the same position the irons are in line with the red dot creating a reference to get on the dot. Training yourself to look for the laser also trains yourself to not be on the sights. Considering how badly lasers perform in bright daylight(especially on brighter colored objects) I'd rather be on the sights. Other than both being electronics they don't really share any similarities in function.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    90% of the time I'm not a fan of lasers. On a mouse gun like the LCP with barely usable sights I think they do have their merits. I don't think they are magical devices that replace fundamentals like sight picture, and do think you should train to properly use the laser. And please for the love of God don't say anything that starts with "And once they see that laser on their chest..." I hear it all the time and it drives me crazy!

As for the lasers themselves, I like the Viridian setup for the LCP the best. The green dot is easily twice as bright as the Crimson Trace.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a similarly sized S&W Bodyguard w/ a laser and I am not fond of it at all. Even sub 7 feet it still sucks. I'd go with no laser all the way.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'm a big fan of lasers for CC but have a different take. I never expect the laser to be available and wouldn't rely on them exclusively. I don't consider them a sight replacement but an augmentation. I wouldn't argue with anyone who recommended installing tritium sights with a laser. Any close quarters situation where you can't acquire sights due to being in an awkward position the laser is a distinct advantage; don't understand why anyone would dismiss this. I think their best advantage is dry fire practice especially if you're working on trigger control. It also helps to check draw sequence ensuring you aren't painting things inappropriately.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Most of the pocket guns do not allow for easily replacable sights. I would love to have some small fiber optic or tritium sights on my keltec but I don't want to dump $200 of gunsmithing and parts into a $250 pistol!

No lasers for me... at least not until they're powerful enough to replace my pistol!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom