Lets talk cooking ware!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    It's time to replace our Kitchenaid cookware set.
    We are very happy with them, just over time they have scratches and such.

So......... suggestions, $$$ really isn't an issue.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    take this opportunity to ditch Teflon, and get a decent cast iron pan. Lodge makes some pretty good ones, but they take a little time to get how I like them. You can't go wrong buying a well taken care of or refurbished Griswold. If you stick out the growing pains, you will never use Teflon again and will never need to buy another pan again.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    take this opportunity to ditch Teflon, and get a decent cast iron pan. Lodge makes some pretty good ones, but they take a little time to get how I like them. You can't go wrong buying a well taken care of or refurbished Griswold. If you stick out the growing pains, you will never use Teflon again and will never need to buy another pan again.

Easy way to get around that is to stick the cast iron in the oven on a cleaning cycle...then scrub them down with vinegar and a steel brush or steel scrubbing sponge. Then lightly coat them with your favorite brand of shortening, and turn your oven on and stick them in. Let it get to 350, and go for 90mins, then turn it all off and cool down. Slicker than snot.

I just did this to my cast iron stuff last week, and even on the first use it was at least as non-stick as my old teflon set that I threw away.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Easy way to get around that is to stick the cast iron in the oven on a cleaning cycle...then scrub them down with vinegar and a steel brush or steel scrubbing sponge. Then lightly coat them with your favorite brand of shortening, and turn your oven on and stick them in. Let it get to 350, and go for 90mins, then turn it all off and cool down. Slicker than snot.

I just did this to my cast iron stuff last week, and even on the first use it was at least as non-stick as my old teflon set that I threw away.

What I don't like about the lodges is the texture at the bottom of the pans, I wish it were a machined surface. A few months using a stainless steel spatula takes care of that on it's own though.

As far as the seasoning, I don't have an oven with a cleaning cycle. After I used them at first, I would heat them up on the range and rub peanut oil in them while they were hot. That got them good and non-stick in about a week.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I have many cast iron pot's - I need a good quality everyday cooking setup!
    My kid's are cooking more these days because of our crazy work schedule.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    What I don't like about the lodges is the texture at the bottom of the pans, I wish it were a machined surface. A few months using a stainless steel spatula takes care of that on it's own though.

As far as the seasoning, I don't have an oven with a cleaning cycle. After I used them at first, I would heat them up on the range and rub peanut oil in them while they were hot. That got them good and non-stick in about a week.

The cleaning cycle just cleans up anything you have. Set your oven to high broil for a few hours, and it'll clean off all the old seasoning and any rust or gunk in the pan. Then scrub it down real good with scolding hot water and soap, then dry it and immediately coat it in some sort of fat or oil.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I get all my cookware at Home Goods/TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Top names on sale. I think my Le Creuset sets cost me maybe $70 for 5 different pans/pots. All authentic, not knockoffs.

I also have some calaphon pans that I use for more messy cooking endeavors.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    It's time to replace our Kitchenaid cook ware set.
    We are very happy with them, just over time they have scratches and such.

So......... suggestions, $$$ really isn't an issue.

Thanks!!!
    If price is no issue, then copper Mauvel is what you want.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    If price is no issue, then copper Mauvel is what you want.

True that. I generally don't even think about Mauvel stuff, because $200 for a small saucepan, $100 for a small frying pan, $250 for a slightly larger frying pan etc....is WAY out of my reach lol. They have a set you can get for $1500 or so on Amazon that includes 10 pieces.

I'll be perfectly content if I get my Calphalon set with the addons I want that are on me and my fiance's wedding registry lol. Even then, at $600 for everything, I don't think I'll get it all.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Another vote Le Creuset. Enamel coated cast iron cooks great and cleans up easily.

I bought my wife some of these pots and they are great. Everything we cook inside is either in the LeCreuset stuff or a couple cast iron pans (1 Lodge and the other DeBuyer).

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    This: http://www.emerilware.com/openstock.php?collectionID=stainlesssteelwithcopper&prodID=default I have 8qt stock pot, 3qt sauce pan, 8" & 14" fry pan bought the first pan about 8 years ago and the last one about 5 years ago. They are very sturdy.
    For non stick cooking I bought these about 3 years ago after throwing away my 3rd set of Teflon pans when they started to flake despite how well I cared for them: http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Thermolon-Nonstick-Skillet-Size/dp/B0056FTP2I/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424962063&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=thermoolond I have the 8", 12" for eggs and the 4qt sauce pan for mac and cheese. These are a breeze to clean.
    Along with my cast iron dutch oven, grill pan and 14" pan I am good to go for cooking ware.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    The 2 Calphalon skillets I have both warped from heavy use over the past 6 years. They are used a lot to cook steak or chicken. I put them in the oven on broil until it reaches temp, pull out and put it on the stove to sear the meat, and then back in the oven for a minute or 2 on each side. I didn't think that was "heavy use" but now they are warped as Hell and if I try to cook an egg in them, it'll run all the way to the side of the skillet. I have a black iron Lodge and a Le Creuset that are my go too now. The Lodge is about 4 years old and the Le Creuset is a couple months old. They are hands down better than the Calphalon. Most of my other cooking is either in old salvaged black iron pots or Magnalite pots and I have no complaints.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Quite fond of our calphalon unison nonstick set. Heavy, attractive, no complaints.

Supposedly calphalon will repair/replace them if they wear out, but I haven't looked into that.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I used a $30 teflon skillet from Winn Dixie for just about everything on the stove. Everything else goes in Pyrex and into the oven.

lachef

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    New Orleans
    There are lots of good choices. If money is not an big concern I would get a 2 sizes of Le Creuset for roasting braises and stews and the such. For everyday cookware you really can't beat all clad. The have a bunch of different types the stainless works great but if you want an upgrade from that they have a copper core set that improves heat distribution even more. Cast iron has its uses and it great for searing things because of the weight and how well it holds heat but that being said they are prone to hot spots and cold spots due to the fact that is a poor conductor of heat. An everyday heavy pan that performs better thermally is a black steel pan. They don't hold as much heat as a cast iron but are more even, heat up faster, and work great for steaks and searing fish. I agree with the previous comments about ditching non stick because it prevents a good sear and keeps a good fond from forming in the pan which is necessary for pan sauces. There is a place for them and I would keep one around. It makes omelets easier and takes a lot of the head ache out of crepes and delicate things but they are not an everyday pan. For pots I prefer a brand called sitram. They are not the easiest to find and are not cheap but they have a very thick bottom and preform great. In the New Orleans area the only place I know of that carries them is Caire restaurant supply. The warehouse is open to the public. Walk around and see what they have.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    It makes omelets easier and takes a lot of the head ache out of crepes and delicate things but they are not an everyday pan. .

I'm sorry but for the home cook, I will have to call BS. I will make an omelet better in my cast irons than a Teflon any day. Crepes do well in there as well. I have a 12 inch and a 10 inch and they are my EVERYDAY pans, they are stored on my range top, they never get put away. I have not used the 2 Teflon pans I have in 3 years.

I am not a professional cook. I am putting that out here now , I am speaking from my own home experience, not a restaurant or any other professional environment. But for the home, sorry, a 10 inch cast iron skillet can't be beat! If I had to keep only 3 pieces I have now, out of DRAWRESFULL of cookware and gadgets I have built up, it would be my 10 inch skillet, my 2 quart stainless pot and my carbon steel wok. If I had a choice of a fourth, it would be my enamel coated Dutch oven.

bluwaterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    hammond
    I'm sorry but for the home cook, I will have to call BS. I will make an omelet better in my cast irons than a Teflon any day. Crepes do well in there as well. I have a 12 inch and a 10 inch and they are my EVERYDAY pans, they are stored on my range top, they never get put away. I have not used the 2 Teflon pans I have in 3 years.

I am not a professional cook. I am putting that out here now , I am speaking from my own home experience, not a restaurant or any other professional environment. But for the home, sorry, a 10 inch cast iron skillet can't be beat! If I had to keep only 3 pieces I have now, out of DRAWRESFULL of cookware and gadgets I have built up, it would be my 10 inch skillet, my 2 quart stainless pot and my carbon steel wok. If I had a choice of a fourth, it would be my enamel coated Dutch oven.

I cook for a living, Ive worked in many kitchens all over the country, and all we use is aluminum. Reason being is they take a beating and are fairly inexpensive to replace. Not the best, but thats what ive always used at work. At home I use analon. Got them about 8 years ago, I really like them. Non stick, and very thick, so the heating is very even, almost mimicking cast iron. I have cast iron also and do like them. Only problem with cast iron is there is a learning curve if someone has never used them, because most people have never used such even heating cookware. Usually the first few attempts result in a golden black. Once you figure them out though they are hard to beat. I like my analon because of the oven safe rubber handles, glass lids, and even heating. Heres the set I have.. actually have 2 skillets though
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/2255-anolon-advanced-11-piece-cookware-set.html

Top Bottom