Academy buying frenzy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So some jackwad was in academy yesterday and just started grabbing baskets and proceeded to fill them with all of the .223 ammo (yes, .223... all grains, all brands, bulk and single box) he could fit in them. Literally every box he could grab. Shortly after someone mentioned the ATF was "banning AR Ammo"... so then others joined in, even asking if there were anymore boxes of .223 in the back. Once he was done, I did notice two SPAM cans of .223 on an end cap that he missed... I almost chased him down to make sure he got them so later he could feel even more like an idiot.

Well, his grabbing of the ammo like that, I stood back and watched for a second... you could see the fear growing in every guys face standing there as they all began grabbing two or three boxes that remained on the shelf. It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch wars of '83.

Shortly thereafter, the employee restocking other ammo was asked by someone (after the crowd dissipated), "Are they banning all AR ammo?", and he responded, "No, just the military grade green tip stuff". Then a question was asked, "What's the difference in .223 and 5.56?" and quickly another one, "Can you shoot .223 from a 5.56 or 5.56 in a .223?"... followed by someone stating, "Mine says it shoots both". so obviously a bunch of knowledgeable individuals. I mean Seriously? Are we going to have another "you can buy one box of ammo" episode again but with 5.56 ammo?

What the heck people??? Doesn't anyone read? or are they just listening to heir brother's friend's cousin's father's son's rumors? Not that it really effects me, I shoot 300BLK... but its just ridiculous! It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch Wars of '83. :mamoru:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So some jackwad was in academy yesterday and just started grabbing baskets and proceeded to fill them with all of the .223 ammo (yes, .223... all grains, all brands, bulk and single box) he could fit in them. Literally every box he could grab. Shortly after someone mentioned the ATF was "banning AR Ammo"... so then others joined in, even asking if there were anymore boxes of .223 in the back. Once he was done, I did notice two SPAM cans of .223 on an end cap that he missed... I almost chased him down to make sure he got them so later he could feel even more like an idiot.

Well, his grabbing of the ammo like that, I stood back and watched for a second... you could see the fear growing in every guys face standing there as they all began grabbing two or three boxes that remained on the shelf. It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch wars of '83.

Shortly thereafter, the employee restocking other ammo was asked by someone (after the crowd dissipated), "Are they banning all AR ammo?", and he responded, "No, just the military grade green tip stuff". Then a question was asked, "What's the difference in .223 and 5.56?" and quickly another one, "Can you shoot .223 from a 5.56 or 5.56 in a .223?"... followed by someone stating, "Mine says it shoots both". so obviously a bunch of knowledgeable individuals. I mean Seriously? Are we going to have another "you can buy one box of ammo" episode again but with 5.56 ammo?

What the heck people??? Doesn't anyone read? or are they just listening to heir brother's friend's cousin's father's son's rumors? Not that it really effects me, I shoot 300BLK... but its just ridiculous! It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch Wars of '83. :mamoru:

The notion is that since the AR is in the administrations sights, that the .223 and 5.56 will be next. obummer swore he'd get the AR-15 off the american market during his presidency, and I think executive bans on ammo are going to be his play. just imo, no super secret squirrel knowledge here.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    :mamoru:Tried to order some other items from Midway this morning could not get thru on the net so I called. Automated service said 27 minute wait. I wonder If it's that same CraZy guy on the web this morning !

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, that's great. Prices on steel case were just getting down to .22 to .24 cents per round. Now, I see we're back up around .27 to .28, if you can find it.

This is what happens when people like Fox News and Rush making ridiculously broad statements when they don't know what they are talking about.

I got text messages all day yesterday, asking me, "Is Obama banning AR ammo?" with this link attached:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ive-action-threatens-top-selling-ar-15-rifle/

This administration may have started the stir, but irresponsible reporting and fear mongering by the conservative media only feeds it. But hey, at least it's getting clicks and ratings, right? Thanks, assholes.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    At least it'll cause a nice bump in production, or keep production at high levels, which will make the inevitable price crash that much sweeter.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well, that's great. Prices on steel case were just getting down to .22 to .24 cents per round. Now, I see we're back up around .27 to .28, if you can find it.

This is what happens when people like Fox News and Rush making ridiculously broad statements when they don't know what they are talking about.

I got text messages all day yesterday, asking me, "Is Obama banning AR ammo?" with this link attached:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ive-action-threatens-top-selling-ar-15-rifle/

This administration may have started the stir, but irresponsible reporting and fear mongering by the conservative media only feeds it. But hey, at least it getting clicks and ratings, right? Thanks, assholes.

100% correct. However, I personally believe that their fears will be recognized, at which time they will promptly announce that "they predicted it". I'll bet a functional firearm that this isn't the last round banned before he vacates the oval office.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just glad I don't need any 556 for classes right now! On the bright side, people may be looking to off load on the cheap after the CRAZY CHICKEN LITTLES realize whats really going on!

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have yet to see the "crash" on .22LR. The only difference that gives me any hope is that .223 and 5.56 were kind of pricey already, as opposed to .22LR which was around .05 cents before the scare.

Hey, I've got P-mags for $90 each if anyone is interested. Only about 500 rounds through each one!

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I just keep thinking of the phrase, "a fool and his money are soon parted." It is amazing how much money these fools have that they can go from one panic buy to another. I guess BayouShooter is going to see a spike in a-holes joining so they can try and ass rape people by selling their ammo at ridiculous prices. No introductory post just sale threads. And then they fade into the woodwork.
    I am sometimes amused at the conversations in the gun section at Academy. Sometimes you can find someone worth talking to but there are times where there are just idiots spewing crap. I just feel bad for the people who don't know better and listen to these idiots. I want to take them aside and tell them the truth.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    :mamoru:Tried to order some other items from Midway this morning could not get thru on the net so I called. Automated service said 27 minute wait. I wonder If it's that same CraZy guy on the web this morning !

Called Midway Back, 10 minute wait. Stayed on phone and placed my order, asked the sales women what the cause of the delay and website not processing orders. Her answer was yesterday and today they have had record sales of .223 and 5.56 ammo. So Mr. Greenjeans must be on a tear hording it up.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No matter how large the internet, television, and paper literature get, people will still believe word of mouth as truth. If you ever see the guys in Academy staring hard at the different ammunition brands, ask them what they are looking for. The **** they say will have you rolling on the floor.

The latest and greatest was the lady that I asked and she told me she was looking for "revolver bullets."

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    One could genuinely make the argument (and they'd be correct) that obama has directly put more weapons and firepower into american hands than any other administration or event in american history. We could almost thank him for it.

^ my argument to office liberal who called me "sick"

Last edited:

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    A guy posted on ARF.com yesterday he watched 55,000 rnds of 223/556 sell in minutes at a sporting goods store local to him.

Others commented on witnessing huge volumes sold by other brick/morter and online stores.

I think someone said AIM sold half a million rnds at some point.

I'd like to know the numbers on guns/ammo sold just since Uncle-O has been in...

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love it. I bought 1,000 rounds yesterday and I personally think its a fantastic message to send to the administration. Your talk of "banning" just put millions of rounds of ammo directly into peoples' closets instead of in the warehouse at the store.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Top Bottom