A SSD Reader Speaks Out In Support Of LE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/03/01/a-reader-speaks-out-in-support-of-law-enforcement/

An SSD Reader Speaks Out In Support Of Law Enforcement

I received this from a long-time SSD reader who is just as frustrated with this situation as I am.

Over time I have become more and more disturbed by the rise of virtually de rigueur anti-police and anti-government rhetoric in the comments section on this site and others. I have also come to recognize that a lack of civility and an every growing appetite for “Conspiracy Theater” seem to be the hallmark of the internet and our times. And exhibiting simple common courtesy is now often perceived as a sign of weakness. I may have no choice but to live with all of that; but I don’t have to suffer it in silence. I realize that the following commentary will likely offend a few and perhaps enflame some others who may be emotionally vested in some contrary positions. Admittedly I don’t expect to change many minds with my words. But I am also confident that a lot more of the people that visit this site will be more in agreement with me, at least in principle, rather than with the wide eyed conspiracy buffs.

Like most here I am a strong supporter of free speech. I’m something of a zealot for the entire Constitution. So I am fully aware that every American is perfectly free to say almost anything, anywhere and at any time. That is a fact I would never attempt to dispute. But I also cannot help but be disgusted when I see examples of commenters choosing, all too nonchalantly, to compare American Government entities with infamous state sponsored terror organizations like the Gestapo. Just as I would be revolted if a poster earnestly tried to equate the US Military to the NAZI SS. They are both equally unfounded and distasteful comparisons. Unfortunately, the tempo of a website comment section is more suited to a rhetorical “slap fight” than it is too a reasoned discussion. Honestly, as a hunt and peck typist, quite often by the time I can craft an appropriate response to an outrageous remark the conversation has moved on. So I took my time and wrote this.

While in the Military I lived and worked closely with countless people in the Intelligence Community, Law Enforcement and the Interagency at every level. Almost without exception they have been hard working dedicated professionals and Americans in the best sense of the word…period. I know that is the case because I have seen it and personally experienced it over decades, not read it on some website or in a book or because anyone else says that is what I should think. The people I know in those organizations don’t deserve the indiscriminate vitriol of anonymous internet commandos of any persuasion. And trying to compare bonafide patriots to fascists is simply reprehensible. Moreover, I’m not even convinced that the self-professed conspiracy fanboys believe the hyperbole of their own bombast. I think they just enjoy the shock value of the words. Seriously, if you truly though any US Government Agency was literally akin to the real Gestapo would you bad mouth it on an open forum?

That said I also know that individual abuses of power are real and happen all too often. And that the government is perpetually in need of strict adult supervision from the citizenry. I have been around long enough to witness some fairly egregious public scandals and monumental misjudgments by the powerful first hand. And like everyone else, I know of many more. But those sad facts of life serve only to confirm one eternal truth. That those we elect and appoint to positions of power are human and will always be fallible, corruptible and imperfect. But what it doesn’t “prove” is that the entire government is somehow colluding in a vast conspiracy to take away our firearms or our other rights. The more important issue – to me anyway – is that there always has been and always will be real threats to civil liberties. Losing sight of that fact in order to chase shadowy “conspirators” down rabbit holes is the definition of Red Herring. It is a waste of time and does a grave disservice to the cause of Liberty.

I have always been a strong supporter of the 2ndAmendment as well. I know there are indeed some people who are absolutely intent on banning firearms or even ultimately repealing the 2A. And that very vocal and visible minority has publically identified themselves and their intentions. No secret about that. No hidden agenda. No conspiracy necessary. But here is the really hard part for some people to understand or accept. Like it or not, “those people” have the right to their opinions and the privilege as Americans to work within the legislative process to further their stated goals. The exact same rights that those of us who passionately oppose them enjoy. So as an unapologetic believer in the tenets of the Constitution, and in order to guarantee the continuation of my own freedom I am obliged to accept all of those points. I have too and I do.

Nevertheless, in the context of their stated intentions, I do see them as a direct menace to arguably the key civil liberty that sustains all the rest. The 2nd Amendment. But they are not the kind of imminent peril that might compel me to retreat to my redoubt and await Armageddon. Rather they represent the kind of danger that demands that I make my voice heard, join like-minded organizations like the NRA and fight them appropriately where the struggle is actually being waged. In the local City Councils, State Legislatures, Congress and the Courts across this country. That is how victory will eventually be achieved. And I don’t need to link this very tangible threat to some amorphous conspiracy in order to motivate myself to fight for my beliefs.

Furthermore, while I am concerned, I for one am not afraid of the anti-gun people. Their augments for additional restrictions and bans inevitably rest on the shifting sands of (mis)perception or emotion and not the firm foundation of reality and facts. One clear and simple example is that while the number of civilian owned firearms of all types in America is exponentially greater than it was 30-40 years ago, violent crimes are at historic or near historic lows in every measured category. So it is impossible to justify a claim that “more guns equal more crime” or even results in more deaths. Or claim that the availability of certain kinds of modern firearms or types of magazines has somehow increased public risk. Conversely, while there are admittedly some other factors at play, it is obviously more rational and verifiable to say that more guns in the hands of responsible citizens has positively contributed to the reduction in crime.

It is facts like that which provide the real “ammunition” essential to winning this endless cycle of 2A arguments. Let our opponents shoot the unsupportable emotional “blanks” instead of us. It would be a major mistake to fall into the trap of arguing the relative merits of our “feelings” versus their “feelings” on the subject. Making a tactical blunder or unforced error like that could actually make it much harder to successfully present, defend and win the case with the American people and our elected representatives. Unfortunately, all too frequently individual sensitivities and preconceived bias substitutes for rational discourse with some very vocal people on both fringes of the argument. Those people also have a right to be heard but not to hijack or dominate the discussion.

Moreover, I for one remain convinced that most Americans, when presented with fact based arguments, will choose reason over “feelings” and freedom over fear. I reject the emotionally charged but baseless premise perpetuated relentlessly by far too many people of all political persuasions that the bulk of the American People are “sheeple”. Or any other derogatory term someone may want to use to insult or vilify our fellow citizens. If the average American citizen was as easily deceived or led-by-the-nose by those in power as that term would suggest then any outstanding 2A questions would have been settled with little fanfare long ago.

I would submit that the truth is a great many Americans simply don’t pay attention to any issue until it reaches enough of a “crisis level” to intrude on their personal lives. I was like that myself as a younger man even after I joined the Army. I felt pride in serving my country in uniform and I dare say I was a pretty fair soldier most of the time. But drinking to excess and chasing ladies or the not so lady-like took up all my free time, money, energy and focus. The truth is I wasn’t nearly as good a citizen as I should have been or thought I was. I didn’t watch any news, didn’t know anything about political issues and didn’t vote until I was married and in my late 20s. But if someone had told me at the time I had the wrong attitude and was shirking many of my civic duties there would have been a serious fight. Eventually I grew up a little and I know better now.

Most Americans have always been more like that then not. We all know that only a portion of the population actively supported the Revolution in the first place. Another significant minority supported the status quo and the Crown. A great many didn’t give a damn about politics one way or another. They simply tried to get on with their lives and stay out of the way of the fighting. So we were sharply divided then and we remain no less polarized today. Clearly, having wildly divergent views on any and all subjects is neither “Un-American” nor “Un-Patriotic” but is actually as American as it gets. The citizens of our Nation are preoccupied certainly, disinterested perhaps, self-centered maybe but still fundamentally well grounded and good people. Understanding that, the challenge is to effectively engage, inform and energize enough of the uncommitted to join the 2A fight on our side. Knowing the other side is constantly trying to do the same. But the task is made much harder if our side is seen as contemptuous or dismissive of those not already actively advocating in favor of our position.

The Founding Fathers, imperfect men all, started something extraordinary some 239 years ago. They voiced their aspirations for our Republic and the central role of the citizen in the Declaration of Independence. Then they wrote the Constitution to enable their dream to become a functional reality. They crafted an innovative power sharing arrangement of checks and balances that distributed the responsibilities of governance between the three Branches of the Federal Government, the individual States and the citizens. They wisely included mechanisms to preclude dominance and tyranny by either the majority or by any minority while guaranteeing the maximum amount of freedom for all. And the Founders gave us the tools we need within the Constitution to make ourselves heard, institute any changes that we collectively see fit and fix whatever the citizenry decides needs to be fixed. To that end, every citizen has a duty to read the Constitution and re-read it from time to time. And that means the whole document not just the Bill of Rights. It is all still relevant and understanding it matters.

Because, like a military unit leader, citizens are ultimately responsible for everything this Republic does of fails to do in our names. We are the final authority. So most assuredly, aggressive monitoring and probing and questioning and critiquing and criticizing the activities of any agency of the government is the right of every citizen. Indeed it is a sacred duty. A healthy dose of skepticism, even reasoned cynicism and eternal vigilance is fair and warranted. But citizenship demands that the individual do more than just energetically hold the government to task. The citizen is expected to fully participate in the hard work of governance and hold themselves accountable as well. If all someone has done for this country is sit on the sidelines and criticize, maybe it is past time to consider doing more? Perhaps determine to contribute something constructive? Or step up and shoulder “your share of the burden and then some” to paraphrase the Ranger Creed?

Our Founders initiated the most unique and audacious experiment in freedom the world had ever seen. Where the benefits and the burdens of securing liberty would be borne by the citizens themselves. Some people would have us believe that the experiment has already failed or that it is doomed to failure because individual men can often be irredeemably flawed. The Founders did not bequeath us a “perfect union” and they knew it. Instead they have given each new generation in turn the opportunity to continue the work towards a “more perfect union”. They didn’t guarantee us perpetual liberty without effort or freedom without sacrifice. Those things are for us to secure for ourselves or risk losing through inaction. And that is the same legacy I for one pledge to pass down to future generations of Americans.

Then there are those people who choose not to talk in stark terms of failure but rather of decline. This group of naysayers would have you believe that this country was nearly perfect at its inception but has been decaying rather than advancing almost since the beginning. They speak of somehow propelling the Nation backwards to the “unspoiled” time of the Founders. Frankly, that notion reminds me of the rhetoric of ISIL fanatics that want to drive the entire world back to their version of utopia circa 700 AD. I say no. Our best years are not behind us. I deeply admire the Founders. They were brilliant men and they achieved true greatness and changed history for the better and for all time. But even the Founders recognized that they hadn’t gotten everything right. They didn’t view the Constitution as immutable but rather as a living document. A road map to a brighter future not a destination in itself. Their writings of the day speak eloquently to the significant unfinished business of Liberty that was also part of their legacy to us. They entrusted that ongoing and never ending work to those that followed them. Right now it happens to be our turn.

Far too many people today seem to revel in cataloging and regurgitating the already acknowledged shortcomings of our Nation. I have observed this trend becoming more and more fashionable during my lifetime. I surmise that it has gained in popularity because all the “cool kids” like Michael Moore love doing it. Gleefully capturing and hoarding: every instance of human pettiness, every official fiasco, individual greediness, professional corruption, personal scandals and public crimes. These distrustful archivists do their work diligently and with gusto. Tirelessly fixated on proving the existence of intertwined conspiracy trees while conveniently ignoring an immense forest of non-conspiratorial facts that do not fit their constipated world view. So they assiduously obsess over their coveted list of offenses to their sensibilities and share their “findings” at every opportunity. And then, with a certain smug satisfaction, those perpetually pessimistic souls solemnly declare our Nation or at least our Government to be evil and hopeless and unsalvageable.

Thankfully, we don’t have to rely on anyone’s self-licking ice cream cone of wrongdoings to independently come to a more complete and accurate and very different conclusion. History gives us a vast amount of contrary evidence to counter their cynical narrative and make a more informed judgment for ourselves. There is no real contest. Our Nation’s long and storied history of positive accomplishments and admirable attributes dwarfs and far outweighs any negatives real or imagined. The whole truth is that for every ignoble failure there are countless examples of shining success. For every injustice, there are innumerable examples of justice served. And most telling of all, for every time that one person or a group of people have miscarried the public trust someone else has immediately stepped forward to shoulder the burden. That is the much more honest full measure of this Great Nation.

I’m convinced, and history seems to bear me out, that our Nation today remains as strong and resilient and gloriously imperfect as it has ever been. We continue to struggle with internal frictions and external challenges that are formidable and daunting. But no more numerous or onerous or perilous than those our Nation has faced and overcome in the past. I think of it this way, if my Uncle could be resolute when he faced the Imperial Japanese Army in the Pacific, then I can certainly stand my watch and wrestle with newer threats like the Taliban or Al Qaeda. I will close with this one last splendid fact. No single Nation in all of history has done more for humanity and the cause of Liberty than the United States. And that was just in the first 239 years. If we can resist the temptation to attack each other’s character or fashion hats from tinfoil every time we are unsatisfied or frustrated by our government, just imagine what we can accomplish in the next 200 years.

Obviously some of what I have said above is entirely factual especially as it relates to the Constitution and can be authenticated by anyone that cares to take the time to do the research. Where I have stated my opinions they are based and shaped entirely by my direct observations and life experiences. Consequently they are also obviously less objectively verifiable and are therefore presented only for what they are worth. Readers are of course free to believe whatever they want to believe and can reject or accept any or all of this commentary. I fully support your right to do so. I also vow not to take any cheap shots at your patriotism, your pedigree, your sincerity or your intelligence no matter how much I disagree (or agree) with whatever you may say in response. Acknowledging up front that I am an imperfect man and may, under duress, let my emotions over ride my better intentions. I will also remain equally committed to defending good people who I judge are being unfairly maligned and aren’t necessarily in a position to defend themselves. I will now retreat to my redoubt and await Armageddon.

De Opresso Liber.

-LTC Terry Baldwin, US Army (RET) served on active duty from 1975-2011 in various Infantry and Special Forces assignments.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Cops are employed by tax-paying citizens to perform a public service therefore subject to any criticism the public sees fit. It comes with not working in private industry. If you want the citizens to pay your bills you have to assuage their complaints, like it or not. And like it or not, there are some legitimate complaints now (albeit the rioting and protesting is laughable). Real or perceived, it is the job of the police to fix it or face losing their jobs just as any politician or other public servant would.

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I have read the post by the SSD reader shortly after it was posted. Yes I agree with the last post that police officers are public servants and that the law enforcement agencies need to work with the communities that they serve. However I have a friend that works for the local Sheriff's office and he advised me that a law enforcement website had conducted a survey asking current law enforcement officers would they recommend a law enforcement career to a family member or friend and the results were very troubling.
    The group that conducted the survey thought that the results would be 60/40 or 50/50 but my friend told me that a whopping 80% of the officers that answered the survey stated that they would not recommend a career in law enforcement. The main reason is the attitude of the public towards law enforcement, second reason the danger of the job and the third reason was the pay. How sad that such a large percentage of the officers that answered this survey would not recommend the job. One would think that the danger or low pay would be the number one reason as to why they would not recommend the job; not how the public's attitude towards the profession as the main reason. My friend also told me that several retired officers had sent the web site their observations and some of them felt that the currrent anti-police attitude is worse now then back in the 60's. Let's hope that the communities that are having problems can work with their local police agencies and local governing bodies so that their communities can move on.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    All bs - they are paid better than anytime in history and are blowing budgets left and right around south Louisiana. There is more money in law enforcement than anytime in history. People's attitudes towards police are a direct product of police actions and attitudes (although I'll admit that the there is plenty of fire-stoking in the media) and since we pay their bills it is their responsibility to fix it. They are not victims and there is no crisis of morale in law enforcement. It is all propaganda and spin (on both sides that is). I know plenty of LEOs and, quite frankly, I feel some are grossly overpaid for what they actually do. Lots of people have been killed in this country by police in recent decades and I'm not sure that there are that many cases where job number one, protect life, was actually job number one.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    there is no crisis of morale in law enforcement. It is all propaganda and spin

There is a GIANT moral crisis at the local level in the metro Nola area for sure, to include the Northshore. Highly qualified guys are leaving at record rates to do ANYTHING BUT POLICEWORK. They don't trust their administrations (the source of at least half the problems), don't trust the media, and as a result, don't trust they will get a fair shake from the community if something happens. The guys that are capable and still on the job are taking it easy, as to not to put themselves in a position to get jammed up. Just because you don't know about it does not make it fantasy.

You are right about the pay being ok. Contrary to your statement though, the average line officer and supervisor have nothing to do with the budgets, that's purely on the administration at the pd and city/parish/state. We would love to see it used more wisely. More or better training and community outreach as opposed to the admins traveling all over all the time.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    All bs - they are paid better than anytime in history and are blowing budgets left and right around south Louisiana. There is more money in law enforcement than anytime in history. People's attitudes towards police are a direct product of police actions and attitudes (although I'll admit that the there is plenty of fire-stoking in the media) and since we pay their bills it is their responsibility to fix it. They are not victims and there is no crisis of morale in law enforcement. It is all propaganda and spin (on both sides that is). I know plenty of LEOs and, quite frankly, I feel some are grossly overpaid for what they actually do. Lots of people have been killed in this country by police in recent decades and I'm not sure that there are that many cases where job number one, protect life, was actually job number one.

How long have you been a police officer?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There is a GIANT moral crisis at the local level in the metro Nola area for sure, to include the Northshore. Highly qualified guys are leaving at record rates to do ANYTHING BUT POLICEWORK. They don't trust their administrations (the source of at least half the problems), don't trust the media, and as a result, don't trust they will get a fair shake from the community if something happens. The guys that are capable and still on the job are taking it easy, as to not to put themselves in a position to get jammed up. Just because you don't know about it does not make it fantasy.

+1

I know three officers that left their departments to pursue other opportunities with no relation to police work.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cops are employed by tax-paying citizens to perform a public service therefore subject to any criticism the public sees fit.

This is something I've thought about. I wonder what percentage of the protestors on hand at the last rally in Ferguson meet that criteria? It must be nice to have a job that allows you to spontaneously drop everything at the drop of a hat and travel halfway across the country to protest something that you are 90% ignorant of the circumstances pertaining to it. But anyway.....

Perhaps the police and fire depts in Ferguson need to be dissolved. Make it a testing ground. They could be one of the first truly self-sufficient cities in America! Neighbors really helping neighbors, you know? Sounds like Mayberry to me....Ferguson leads the way! :cheers:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Cops are employed by tax-paying citizens to perform a public service therefore subject to any criticism the public sees fit. It comes with not working in private industry. If you want the citizens to pay your bills you have to assuage their complaints, like it or not. And like it or not, there are some legitimate complaints now (albeit the rioting and protesting is laughable). Real or perceived, it is the job of the police to fix it or face losing their jobs just as any politician or other public servant would.

I love when this is parroted off as if cops don't pay taxes. Your vote means more for than mine for some reason? The citizens complain about whatever they like, and a large portion of their tax expenditure goes towards crap they'd never approve of if they actually knew where it was going. They just use this as an angle to throw jabs at officers. For the record- I pay more in taxes than some people make. I want to know where my money goes, so I attend meetings and keep copies of the minutes. If you aren't involved in your city council meetings, you have no idea where the money goes anyway. It's just discussed on the internet as "the budget" as if its infinite. The issues I see related to law enforcement are micromanagement and political interference sending the good guys out the door. This leaves a void to be filled, so hiring prerequisites go down. Whose going to fill the void? you? lol. FYI they are paid well on a relative basis to education and experience only. apples to apples, they make substantially less than direct private sector experience. I pay a woman with no college experience ~35k as an office assistant. She gets paid vacation, a comfortable office, and a slew of financial benefits. She makes far more than officers in our town, despite having roughly the same educational/experience terms listed on her resume.

This might be the highest paid era of law enforcement, but it is also the least popular and most scrutinized. Consider that just about everyone an officer meets dislikes them as a profession. Then when the officer does their job, the internet warriors all tell how it should have been handled differently and/or the cop should be reprimanded or fired. Then the officer gets to the station and a desk jockey eats their lunch because they got a complaint about whatever. It's disparaging, and i can tell you that 90% of everyone an officer encounters on a daily basis either dislikes them or directly adds to the stress of the job. You wonder why its hard to recruit and/or maintain a veteran force? The same reason as private sector business: people won't perform where they are unappreciated. If an employee feels appreciated, they'll break their back for you. Officers get 9 hates to 1 thanks, and thats a rough ratio.

You have some valid points, but I don't feel that they are well aimed. Could you elaborate on the direct issues/solutions you'd propose?

fyi, speaking as a community involved citizen that has seen it first hand: the low morale in this field is staggering. I've got family in various levels of law enforcement across the country, its not a local issue.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Personally, I've got no issues with LEO 's and having family members in law enforcement since long before I was born, I sympathize with most. But all conspiracy theory aside, that Federal monster machine is killing us.

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I love when this is parroted off as if cops don't pay taxes. Your vote means more for than mine for some reason? The citizens complain about whatever they like, and a large portion of their tax expenditure goes towards crap they'd never approve of if they actually knew where it was going. They just use this as an angle to throw jabs at officers. For the record- I pay more in taxes than some people make. I want to know where my money goes, so I attend meetings and keep copies of the minutes. If you aren't involved in your city council meetings, you have no idea where the money goes anyway. It's just discussed on the internet as "the budget" as if its infinite. The issues I see related to law enforcement are micromanagement and political interference sending the good guys out the door. This leaves a void to be filled, so hiring prerequisites go down. Whose going to fill the void? you? lol. FYI they are paid well on a relative basis to education and experience only. apples to apples, they make substantially less than direct private sector experience. I pay a woman with no college experience ~35k as an office assistant. She gets paid vacation, a comfortable office, and a slew of financial benefits. She makes far more than officers in our town, despite having roughly the same educational/experience terms listed on her resume.

This might be the highest paid era of law enforcement, but it is also the least popular and most scrutinized. Consider that just about everyone an officer meets dislikes them as a profession. Then when the officer does their job, the internet warriors all tell how it should have been handled differently and/or the cop should be reprimanded or fired. Then the officer gets to the station and a desk jockey eats their lunch because they got a complaint about whatever. It's disparaging, and i can tell you that 90% of everyone an officer encounters on a daily basis either dislikes them or directly adds to the stress of the job. You wonder why its hard to recruit and/or maintain a veteran force? The same reason as private sector business: people won't perform where they are unappreciated. If an employee feels appreciated, they'll break their back for you. Officers get 9 hates to 1 thanks, and thats a rough ratio.

You have some valid points, but I don't feel that they are well aimed. Could you elaborate on the direct issues/solutions you'd propose?

fyi, speaking as a community involved citizen that has seen it first hand: the low morale in this field is staggering. I've got family in various levels of law enforcement across the country, its not a local issue.

I've got several fraternity brothers in various levels of LE across the state and family/friends serving around the country as well in LE. I think most are confusing simple bad morale with accountability. Of the 4-5 police I know that have left the industry in the last few years the majority was due to them not liking the idea of having to defend their actions if questioned (and some of it was quite questionable) regardless of what they say. Now, I can admit that some of this "urban" crap is ridiculous and the Michael Brown stuff makes we want to puke but there are real concerns from law-abiding citizens and a general mistrust of police due to their actions, not an misguided shift in public opinion.

And the whole point is that they are supposed to be scrutinized and everyone gets a say, even the internet warriors - its the nature of the profession. And it there will always be someone to fill the void. The money and benefits are too good for the lack of education (excluding your local town cop, etc, but that will always be).

And my points are perfectly aimed and very simple. The state of law enforcement is perfectly acceptable right now. This is tantamount to market conditions dictating business and things will work themselves out just fine. When police or any other agency overstep their boundaries the citizenry will react and naturally put them back into their place, and they are certainly not victims. If they don't like it, leave the profession.

And who cares about going to town meetings - doesn't change your standing whatsoever and any sensitive issue they just kick you out for executive committee(or whatever they may call it in your home) to vote anyway. All the information there is controlled and the only way you will ever know anything is if you get a hold of town ledgers (which is usually public info) regardless of what they say in local community meetings. You can stay just as well informed with a newspaper and a few trips a year to city hall to follow the money.

The perfect example of LE standing in America just recently happened out in Washington Parish with the falsified statements and charges against the guy who served the cop that suit. Is it fair to all LE? No. But it is how things are supposed to work. LE actions like this will affect the industry as a whole. Thank God that guy's family had a phone out. Now I grew up in a different state and can say definitively that LE was very different up there and much more polite. Problems between LE and citizens there were very, very rare and I can't ever remember a case where the masses didn't side with LE - this was because we trusted them and the various levels of police worked hard to maintain that. If police here want the same it is their job to reinvent their image. I personally have nothing against police and know they are overwhelmingly professional and good at their job, but I also believe that there is too much crony culture now and am not sure I can trust them if cameras are off.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I've got several fraternity brothers in various levels of LE across the state and family/friends serving around the country as well in LE. I think most are confusing simple bad morale with accountability. Of the 4-5 police I know that have left the industry in the last few years the majority was due to them not liking the idea of having to defend their actions if questioned (and some of it was quite questionable) regardless of what they say. Now, I can admit that some of this "urban" crap is ridiculous and the Michael Brown stuff makes we want to puke but there are real concerns from law-abiding citizens and a general mistrust of police due to their actions, not an misguided shift in public opinion.

And the whole point is that they are supposed to be scrutinized and everyone gets a say, even the internet warriors - its the nature of the profession. And it there will always be someone to fill the void. The money and benefits are too good for the lack of education (excluding your local town cop, etc, but that will always be).

And my points are perfectly aimed and very simple. The state of law enforcement is perfectly acceptable right now. This is tantamount to market conditions dictating business and things will work themselves out just fine. When police or any other agency overstep their boundaries the citizenry will react and naturally put them back into their place, and they are certainly not victims. If they don't like it, leave the profession.

And who cares about going to town meetings - doesn't change your standing whatsoever and any sensitive issue they just kick you out for executive committee(or whatever they may call it in your home) to vote anyway. All the information there is controlled and the only way you will ever know anything is if you get a hold of town ledgers (which is usually public info) regardless of what they say in local community meetings. You can stay just as well informed with a newspaper and a few trips a year to city hall to follow the money.

The perfect example of LE standing in America just recently happened out in Washington Parish with the falsified statements and charges against the guy who served the cop that suit. Is it fair to all LE? No. But it is how things are supposed to work. LE actions like this will affect the industry as a whole. Thank God that guy's family had a phone out. Now I grew up in a different state and can say definitively that LE was very different up there and much more polite. Problems between LE and citizens there were very, very rare and I can't ever remember a case where the masses didn't side with LE - this was because we trusted them and the various levels of police worked hard to maintain that. If police here want the same it is their job to reinvent their image. I personally have nothing against police and know they are overwhelmingly professional and good at their job, but I also believe that there is too much crony culture now and am not sure I can trust them if cameras are off.

For future reference, when you take shots at us common, non-college educated dummies you think you are so much better than, you may want to do a better job proofing your post. And I appreciate your supportive lack of support. I think you too are mostly trust worthy but not really, so :doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom