NRA calls and letters.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    First I want to say I am a proud member of the NRA and appreciate all they have done and continue to do to support and defend our freedoms. That being said, I was wondering how others handle the constant calls and letters urging us for money. If I gave them a contribution every time they called or I got a letter I wouldn't have enough money to enjoy our freedoms by purchasing more guns and ammo, lol. Because I do have respect for the NRA I don't treat the calls like I do other telemarketers. Anyways just wondering what some others thoughts were on the matter.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I don't really worry about the mailings that I receive at home. Some people act like junk mail is the most inconvenient thing ever. I just toss it in the garbage unless there's something that catches my interest. No different than any other junk mail that I get. As far as the calls... I usually give my home number to any company that I may think eventually call me with solicitations. The home phone is there for another Katrina. I never answer it anyway. People that need to get in touch with me know my cell phone already and will call me on that number.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I like the almost daily emails asking for contributions.
    The last phone call for solitation, I unloaded on the guy.
    Told him if I received 1 more I would let the membership lapse.
    He apologized for calling, explained he was volunteering time and would make a file note to stop calling.
    Haven't received a call in about 4 years.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Depending on how you joined up you can request to not receive any phone calls or mail. Just call them and ask. I haven't received either since I made that request years ago.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Depending on how you joined up you can request to not receive any phone calls or mail. Just call them and ask. I haven't received either since I made that request years ago.

This. It works.

I am a life member and regular annual ILA contributor for at least 20 years. Support the NRA please donate, but you do not have be annoyed by solicitations.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I used to keep getting these annoying calls from them asking for more money all the time. After being called for the third time in a week with the same laughable "Obama's gunna take yer gunz send us a hundred bucks" crap I finally put my foot down and gave the calling agent a "polite" ass chewing about how they shouldn't treat their members like this, he was dead speechless and I just hung up.

Despite that I still remain a member but they haven't called me with solicitations ever since.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I no longer get the calls since I did not update my number since after Katrina. I only keep then up to date on my address.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    They couldn't get my name right both times I joined so I just gave up :o

They make money from all of those calls and letters, so that's why they do it. You're lumped in with the lowest common denominator dummy when they target you with solicitations. I'd get the emails as if there was some new revelation in the news or new court case decision and it was always just BS trying to squeeze more money.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    The constant mailers are not a problem to deal with, but you are right -- how much of that money could be used in a better way? I'm on a monthly automatic payment plan, on my way to a lifetime membership... They used to call me almost every week begging for more money until I politely told them that I'm already paying every month, the guy apologized and the calls seem to have stopped.

On a side note, I try to remember to contribute to the wounded warrior project (and a few others), but wish they would spend more money directly on veterans instead of marketing... A lot of charities have a huge overhead these days that I have hard time accepting.

Back to NRA. Here's what made me angry recently. They apparently sold my name to some third party. A few weeks ago I receive a DVD for some defensive gun training (which I didn't request/order). The letter inside the package stated: return the DVD to us if you don't like it or pay $13.99. Well... I put it aside and promptly forgot about it. Two days ago, I get a bill from some NRA-affiliated third party marketing firm stating that I owe them money for the DVD. Made me angry... I didn't initiate the transaction, never requested or ordered anything of sorts, and now they had me scrambling looking for the dagnabbing DVD. Luckily I found it... Ended up going to the post office to drop it off, spent time and gas on something I should have not been mailed to begin with... Annoying, that's all.

I will continue to support NRA, no doubt about it. I just don't like their spam.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was wondering how others handle the constant calls and letters urging us for money.

I handled it by not renewing my membership. Most relentless Spammers I've ever come across. Just beyond annoying.

And looking at the sacks of high gloss junk mail they sent me in a year, I know they spent more on that garbage than the 25 bucks I gave them in the first place. So they actually save money by me not renewing. Win/Win.

Last edited:

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Back to NRA. Here's what made me angry recently. They apparently sold my name to some third party. A few weeks ago I receive a DVD for some defensive gun training (which I didn't request/order). The letter inside the package stated: return the DVD to us if you don't like it or pay $13.99. Well... I put it aside and promptly forgot about it. Two days ago, I get a bill from some NRA-affiliated third party marketing firm stating that I owe them money for the DVD. Made me angry... I didn't initiate the transaction, never requested or ordered anything of sorts, and now they had me scrambling looking for the dagnabbing DVD. Luckily I found it... Ended up going to the post office to drop it off, spent time and gas on something I should have not been mailed to begin with... Annoying, that's all.

Wow, sending something to someone without their consent and blackmailing them to take the time and money to send it back if they don't want to purchase it. How is that even legal?

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Well at least I don't feel guilty for being annoyed by the calls and URGENT mailings anymore lol. I think I'll have to tell them to take my name off the calling list next time. I don't mind the mailings too much because every now and then if I choose to read any of it, they may actually inform me of something significant that I didn't know was going on... and who doesn't like to day dream for a few minutes about a 25 gun giveaway. ha.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    and who doesn't like to day dream for a few minutes about a 25 gun giveaway. ha.
    I often wonder if any of those are true giveaways with real winners. Another one in questions is by FMG publications publisher of several gun-related periodicals. Every month they are giving alway thousands of dollars worth of barking iron. They are either very successful and can afford it, or it's a sham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom