CMP Daisy M853

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Went to visit family in Tuscaloosa and we made the pilgrimage to the CMP store in Anniston. Nice place, friendly people. It's not as big as the one at Camp Perry but it's much closer for me now that I've settled here. While I was there I snagged one of the $100 Daisy M853 rebuilds. These look like they've been passed down to a (few?) dozen high school JROTC programs but have been re-arseneled by the CMP to get them up to factory specs. Mechanically, they're nice. Cosmetically they're a grab bag. I picked the one with the nicest looking wood. If you buy one they come with a new sight and spacers for the buttstock as well as a sling and a bunch of sight inserts.

The stock isn't bad, but the wood was dry and covered in layers of masking tape from different owners.

Sorry, Mack.

Not the worst in the world but I thought it could look nicer. I scrubbed the stock down with steel wool, hot water and simple green. A lot of pretty nasty stuff came out of it; even with a touch of goo gone the years old masking tape was pretty tough to deal with too. I lightly sanded the stock to smooth it out, de-whiskered the wood and stained it according to the to the recipe I found here and a few coats of boiled linseed oil later...

Much better. Would have liked a touch more red in the stock, maybe next time I'll do 2:1 instead of 3:1 with the stains that I used. It shoots really well so far, I need to pace out 10 meters and set up a proper range/target for it. I'm very happy with the purchase and it's probably one of the better airgun deals out there. You can find them for sale, no club memberships or paperwork needed, at the CMP web store.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm very happy with the purchase and it's probably one of the better airgun deals out there. You can find them for sale, no club memberships or paperwork needed, at the CMP web store.

Have you shot it and tested any pellets with it?

I don't think someone can find anything remotely close in the price range of an 853 refurb.

I got one. Mine has 11 on it in marks-a-lot. So now I can relate to this guy:

To any one considering these:
    Don't let the price or Daisy on the side deter you. It has a Lothar Walther barrel.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    My son lives in Anniston, I go to CMP everytime I visit. Love seeing all the guns and talking the the people there. They are so helpful and friendly. Son's plans on moving back to Louisiana in June so probably have to make my last pilgrimage when I visit him next month.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I'm strange and bought a Mossberg 44 with stickers and rack numbers and names that I want to leave on it. I bought a M1 carbine with some private's poor carving skills embellishing it, and too bad as it is an early Winchester high wood, but the character is there. I think character kinda tells an untold story, like what do the 3 notches in the top of that Winchester stock mean if anything.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm strange and bought a Mossberg 44 with stickers and rack numbers and names that I want to leave on it. I bought a M1 carbine with some private's poor carving skills embellishing it, and too bad as it is an early Winchester high wood, but the character is there. I think character kinda tells an untold story, like what do the 3 notches in the top of that Winchester stock mean if anything.

I have a Garand with greek carvings. I think I would just replace the stock anyway. Then I would want it reparkerized. I would rebarrel first. So I just leave it like it is. It also had chunk nicked out in a spot. I think it was from a nail through a crate on the return from Greece. I manage to sand it smooth and left it like that.

I just don't care enough to redo the 853, I don't think the 853 will ever be pretty. I would rather just keep shooting it.

They are both shooters. I am pretty much over how guns look to a degree. I appreciate it, but don't need to own it.

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Have you shot it and tested any pellets with it?

Add my 2 cents ...

I've found the RWS Meisterkugeln wadcutters to be the ticket for ours at 10m. Bought several tins from Pyramid and they seemed to be the best for our rifle. Just eyeballing them versus what you get at Wal-mart and it's a no-brainer. Almost look like they were machined in comparison ...

Sgt, did you say 3 notches?

inglourious-basterds.jpeg

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I will let you know what I got for mine tonight. I have not done any true serious testing on the .177s.

The ones I got for my 5mm are way better than the only ones I could get locally. Academy quit selling them on me and did me a favor.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet; I've got an unmeasured target at something like 12 yards or so set up in a shed in the back and it functions just perfectly. I haven't had a chance to sight it in or rest it yet to see what it's capable of. I'll definitely look into the meisterkugeln; I have some Gamo wadcutters that I've been using in the meantime just for function tests.

The trigger isn't terrible, it's a little on the heavy side but it's clean and breaks very nicely. I will look into doing the trigger mods that were posted but I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride that ride, putting holes in things and cutting things off makes me a little bit nervous. Plus it's kind of pain to put back together once it's out of the stock for whatever reason. The CMP actually has a little bit better instructions on how to do it with more photos.

As far as refinishing the wood goes I haven't done anything this radical to any of my historical firearm stocks. The most I've done is just clean them up a bit. My 1903 desperately needed a good cleaning just to help get the cosmoline chunks off and even then it still sweats when I shoot it. I haven't had any real user engravings or issued-user markings on any of the guns I've picked up so it's not been an issue. Old masking tape though? That's gotta go. It's going to fall off after a while anyway and leave gunk behind that I'd have to deal with anyway. Plus I figure I've got all the stuff on hand like the fancy stains to make the wood look a little nicer and could use the practice.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If you want to get together to shoot we can. I have 3-6 pellets to try. Some I can say blatantly suck! I also have a scope if you want to pop one on it.

Mine has a different stock. It is a pain to put back in the stock is quite true. I have not done anything with the trigger on mine, except lube it.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Add my 2 cents ...

I've found the RWS Meisterkugeln wadcutters to be the ticket for ours at 10m. Bought several tins from Pyramid and they seemed to be the best for our rifle. Just eyeballing them versus what you get at Wal-mart and it's a no-brainer. Almost look like they were machined in comparison ...
    I didn't want to spend that much on the ones I bought !!! Maybe next time.

Did you get the rifle or pistol pellets? Some suggest the pistol pellets for lower velocity air rifles.

Pyramid seems to be the ticket. I was impressed with the packaging. 4th tin free or whatever the deal is works for me. I will probably never buy pellets locally again.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Here are the ones I have:

Trivia - Diabolo refers to the shape named after a toy looking like butterfly a yo yo. I got curious after I noticed it was not 'Diablo'

5mm Sheridan
    The original Sheridan pellets were good. I read the reason they made 5mm was to control ammo quality. Not sure but it makes a nice story.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Benjamin_Cylindrical_20_Cal_14_3_Grains_Pointed_500ct/161
    Benjamin Cylindrical .20 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Pointed,
    These were available at Academy so it was convenient. Not a bad pellet. I went through 6,000 in a 6 month period and kind of reached a limit on what I could achieve with the combo.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_Diabolo_Exact_20_Cal_13_73_Grains_Domed_500ct/477
    JSB Diabolo Exact .20 Cal, 13.73 Grains, Domed,
    OK, This may be a better pellet for target shooting. Less money and better reviews than above made me choose it.

.177 Pellets in the refurbished M853

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Daisy_Dial_A_Pellet_177_Cal_300ct/782
    Daisy Dial-A-Pellet .177 Cal, 3 styles
    I picked them up to have something to shoot. They did not shoot well enough to make practice worthwhile. I would have returned them to Wal-Mart but thought maybe the returns lady was member here and would ridicule me in Off Topic. It could happen.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Crosman_Premier_177_Cal_7_9_Grains_Hollowpoint_500ct/318
    Crosman Premier .177 Cal, 7.9 Grains, Hollowpoint
    Not a bad pellet, worth using and available @ Academy and Wal-Mart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These are ranked relative to each other
    3rd
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Excite_Econ_Pellets_177_Cal_7_48_Grains_Wadcutter_500ct/1059
    H&N Excite Econ Pellets, .177 Cal, 7.48 Grains, Wadcutter,
    Probably on par with the one above. I do get some flyers which I don't think are me.

2nd
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/RWS_Diabolo_Basic_177_Cal_7_0_Grains_Wadcutter_500ct/234
    RWS Diabolo Basic .177 Cal, 7.0 Grains, Wadcutter,
    Good Pellet, pretty uniform but not perfect, some slight defects if you look close enough. They shoot well enough that you may be the limit not the pellet. Good Value. Was recommended be a guy on another site.

1st
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Beeman_177_Cal_7_7_Grains_Wadcutter_Coated_500ct/626
    Beeman .177 Cal, 7.7 Grains, Wadcutter, Coated,
    So far this on seems to be the best of the bunch.

The CMP also sell Vogel - Merlin Match. I didn't want to buy 5000 without trying them first.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General info re: Daisy M853
    Sorry this is just anecdotal and I don't have hard numbers, groups sizes or chrony data. I only have my observations from a couple hundred rounds in seated position. Plus some was low light shooting. That is not enough to really be dialed in as a shooter on this air rifle. This rifle can put consecutive shots into the same hole, scoped, @ 10m from seated.
    Though none of these pellet gave a choice for head size, you can feel the difference when loading rounds.

Essentially you could buy an 853 refurb and shoot over 20,000 rounds in year for a about $1 a day. That might also include targets and pellet trap, if not you would be close to 25,000 round a year.

This is not a rifle for pest control. It is only 510 fps of light grain .177 cal.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    The Vogel Merlin match the CMP sells shoot very well in those guns.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    These Daisy rifles with Lothar Walther barrels can be REALLY accurate. At 10 meters the standard airgun target is the size of a half-dollar, with the 10 ring (or the X - I just don't remember) being about the size of a pellet or less. Don't have a target in front of me but I seem to remember that the center of the target is a point about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. I've found that a singlepoint web sling attached to a clamp-on sling swivel mounted on the pump handle really tightens up my pattern (I'd call it a group if it were any better, but right now I just shoot patterns). I've given one of these to each of 4 grandchildren.

View attachment 55979 DSC_0280.jpg

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    These Daisy rifles with Lothar Walther barrels can be REALLY accurate. At 10 meters the standard airgun target is the size of a half-dollar, with the 10 ring (or the X - I just don't remember) being about the size of a pellet or less. Don't have a target in front of me but I seem to remember that the center of the target is a point about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. I've found that a singlepoint web sling attached to a clamp-on sling swivel mounted on the pump handle really tightens up my pattern (I'd call it a group if it were any better, but right now I just shoot patterns). I've given one of these to each of 4 grandchildren.

View attachment 55979 View attachment 55980
    I told one of my advisors about these rifles and he went and ordered 6, one each for him his wife and his four kids that same morning.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

View attachment 55979 View attachment 55980
    Yes, those targets are small. These things have way of humbling a person.

I never bothered to shoot a pump air rifle with a sling. I bet it would be a lot more convenient with a PCP. I may not be coordinated enough to use a sling on a pump air rifle.

That is nice you got them for you the G-kids.

Y'all have me wanting to get another or so. Y'all also have thinking mine needs to look better!

- - - Updated - - -

The Vogel Merlin match the CMP sells shoot very well in those guns.

I know that if you are saying it, it is true.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd like a nice air rifle. I grew up with a nice czech .22 airgun but my dad has it. The only air rifles I have now went through Katrina and I couldn't bear to toss them. Somehow the buttstock on my red ryder was crushed in the shed. My Crossman pistol has rust issues.

I'd really like a nice .22 again but picking up one from CMP has a certain attraction... preferably one with a nice set of irons.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'd like a nice air rifle. I grew up with a nice czech .22 airgun but my dad has it. The only air rifles I have now went through Katrina and I couldn't bear to toss them. Somehow the buttstock on my red ryder was crushed in the shed. My Crossman pistol has rust issues.

I'd really like a nice .22 again but picking up one from CMP has a certain attraction... preferably one with a nice set of irons.

When I ordered mine I tried calling and emailing and never made contact. It is volunteers working 3 day a week or something, so I am not complaining. I was just trying to make sure I qualified to buy one. So, I finally printed out the from filled it out with credit info and faxed it in. No response, confirmation or anything. About a week later the box comes. Pretty cool little rifle. My front sight is canted but it works and I will fix that at some point.

The .177 probably has better pellet choices than the .22 for target shooting.

I may pick up another 853. I am not sure I would buy one new for the price. My next air rifle will probably have to be in the $600 and up category. Add some filling equipment and that could easily double.

I have 3 CMP rifles and I could not say which is the better deal.

Top Bottom