Homemade wine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Anyone got any wine going right now? I have some strawberry right now and just looked yesterday and the black berries should start popping up soon. Also anyone ever tried mulberry wine? I have like 3 mulberry trees in my backyard and I was thinking about trying to make some mulberry wine and seeing how it comes out.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ive got some canned apple stuff thats been sitting in my laundry room for a couple months now. Need to get it going.

Made some blackberry wine last year, was awesome.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I have muscadine that needs to be bottled. My blackberries are in full bloom right now and it should be a good year for them. Mulberries - make good wine. Taste similar to blackberry but does not have all the acid blackberries have.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    The last wine we made was 1998 the year before my mother died. I have some nice aged Elderberry setting in the barn. I don’t khow many bottles I have, but there are quite a few. When it was bottled, it was tested to be 28% alcohol. I know it doesn’t take much. I don’t need to make any for quite a while.

Wolf

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    From what I have heard, mulberry wine taste very similar to blackberry wine. Add a can or 2 of welches grape juice to it and it will be yummy. Almost merlotish, at least it is with blackberry. I am looking for some mulberries this year to try a mulberry wine.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Never made wine, but the last homemade wine I tried was made from onions. Very interesting taste, would be awesome to cook with.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Never heard of onion wine but like you said Fred I'm sure it would be great to cook with. How are ya'll making ya'lls wine I just have a 5 gallon kentwood jug I'm using but my uncle will be getting me a 3-5 gallon glass jug soon.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Never heard of onion wine but like you said Fred I'm sure it would be great to cook with. How are ya'll making ya'lls wine I just have a 5 gallon kentwood jug I'm using but my uncle will be getting me a 3-5 gallon glass jug soon.

You can do it cheaply or you can go to Brewstock at 3800 Dryades St, New Orleans, LA 70115 or brewstock.com and get a wine making kit. I started out brewing beer, so I had all of the equipment. If I am making 3 gallons of wine, I will ferment in a clean, sanitized 5 gallon bucket on the berries for 10-14 days. Then you will need to siphon off all of the liquid, leaving as much of the solids behind as possible with an auto-siphon into a 3 gallon glass carboy. I would then let this age for about a month or longer and then bottle. You could also get some charred oak chips and throw in the bucket during the primary fermentation to give it some oaky notes. Also using a decent wine yeast rather than bread yeast will give you a more drinkable wine. Brewstock also has that. I am in no way affiliated with Brewstock. I am just happy to have a local brew shop. I used to have to order everything from the interwebz. Having a local shop with knowledgeable dudes is huge. Good luck!!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

I am told you can make wine out of almost anything. That onion wine would be an awesome stew base.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Keep your eye's out for elderberries, when ripe they make for some good wine. And they grow wild just about everywhere!
    Free for the picking and good tasting wine!

Gary

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I'll have to look up what an elderberry is cause I never heard of that and I don't think I've ever seen one either.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Elderberry is the nice green shrubs on the levees and highways with multiple large white flower heads (up to 12 inch wide) that form hudreds of small purple berries during the summer.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I was told the common elderberry grow from the Gulf states North into Canada. and from the East coast to the West coast. They like to grow along rail road tracks, levees roadsides, heck they were growing in my back yard... They were growing along the fence line like all get out and they grow profusely , so I started making elderberry jelly and after that tried wine making. Jelly is easier to make than wine but the wine requires a bit of skill to do right. When done right the elderberry wine has a nice taste. I'm just not a dedicated wine maker.
    Just goggle up elderberry wine and you will get everything you need to know. Be careful , those berries stain big time.
    My mother told me and my brother the berries were poisonous , later when I found out that wasn't true she said she didn't want us picking, eating and getting our clothes all stained purple, they were hard to wash out....I can't believe she lied to us, I wonder what else isn't true ?
    Gary

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have five gallons of mead bulk aging and settling in a carboy right now. Should be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks, after I get it clarified.

Has anyone tried any of those little bottle sized oak spirals? I was thinking about getting five or so and adding them to bottles, just to see what happens.

Last edited:

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Ive used the oak spirals that fit in the glass carboy if thats what you are referring to. Used them for beer brewing a while back. Soaked them a few days in some woodford reserve before letting em dry out and tossing them in the batch. Came out nice.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Wine.jpgWell my wine finally finished and it came out pretty damn good if I must say so myself! I ended up bottling around 3 1/2 gallons of strawberry. I went pick a few blackberries the other day but it almost wasn't even worth my time cause I didn't get very many at all. I guess I need to wait a lil longer for them to get more on a bush.

Top Bottom