Retail sucks...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I have started to realize that working just plain sucks... I have been working retail for over 4 years now, and now after being in the National Guard i realize just how bad retail sucks... all you fellow retail workers sound off!! its a job that needs to be done but it doesn't mean we have to like it... I personally am starting to loo for jobs in line with my MOS in the guard(paralegal) so hopefully I can break that cycle... as a plus you can post your funniest retail sorry here too...

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    After dealing with the general public when I was a gunsmith apprentice (many years ago), I chose my schooling and trade I part due to the lack of having to deal with the general public.

But a story:

Guy comes in madder than a hornet. Had a gun we just ordered and set up for him. Even sighted it in on our range. "Damn gun don't shoot straight! I want my money back". After several minutes of getting him to calm down, and tell us what happened, he tells all about the three deer me missed. Take the gun to the range and it's not even on paper (we used huge 2'x2' papers with stamped on targets so we could hang one and get 5 targets on it). Go back and start asking questions. Long story short, the gun fell out the tree stand and landed scope down.

Always the guns failt....

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Worked at Best Buy for a couple years in college. People are fricken idiots. My favorite story is when one lady came in, stopped me, and asked where the jewelry department was. wtf???

The thing I hated the most though, was the pressure to sell people crap we knew they didn't need. Just puts a bad taste in your mouth.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Worked at Burger King through high school.
    This happened through the drive thru:

Me: Welcome to Burger King, may I take your order?
    Customer: Yeah, how much is your $.99 Whopper?

I got a million of these.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I worked in grocery, restaurants, and shoes until I was 24. My favorites are still the ones from high school who would come into Winn-Dixie, complain to me at the register that our prices were too high compared to Wal-Mart (then carry your ass to Wal-Mart) and then pay for their junk food with food stamps (your food is coming out of my check anyways).

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    In my college days I worked the warehouse at Service Merchandise in Laf.

I loved the surprised look on peoples faces when the entertainment center and 36" tube TV won't fit in their Mustang.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    caught a customer stealing at old navy of cortana during the closing shift...they slashed all of our tires; 6 cars total ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427737271.020323.jpg

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Working in a plumbing supply house I heard this one more than once.

Moron: I need 5 feet of 2" PVC.
    Me: We only sell 10 and 20 foot lengths.
    Moron: Well do you have any scraps?
    Me: How the hell f$%k I have any scraps if all I sell is 10 and 20 foot lengths? (Yes, my boss would let me talk to the morons like that.)
    Moron would usually walk out with a confused look on his face.

Another Burger King one for you.

This was a customer that worked across the street from us. She would come in everyday and find something to complain about. I swear, if she made her freaking Whopper herself she would still complain about it.
    So one day she comes in, orders her food and not two minutes later is back at the counter complaining and asking to speak to the manager. I was the shift manager that happened to be there at the time. Let's call her "Stupid Ass."

Stupid Ass starts going off about how she wanted her sandwich made and how we screwed it up. Then she makes the comment that every day she comes in, something is wrong with her order. That we can never make it right the first time.
    Me: That's insane.
    Stupid Ass: You calling me insane?
    Me: No, but what you're doing is insane. Why would you keep coming back to a restaurant that you know is just going to screw up your order?
    Stupid Ass starts going off about something but I really wasn't paying attention as I was opening up the register.
    I handed her back whatever it was that she spent on her lunch.
    Stupid Ass: What this be fo?
    Me: I'm refunding your money.
    Stupid Ass: What about my food?
    Me: Oh, I won't be giving you any food.
    Stupid Ass: What you talking about?
    Me: Well, I see you in here almost everyday and you yourself said that we always screw up your order. So I figure that we just can't satisfy you. I would suggest that you eat lunch somewhere else.
    I turned and walked off but was able to here her say something about a cracker.

Ended up getting a phone call from the district manager later that day. He ended up giving her a couple of free Whopper meals, which of course, we purposely messed up when she came back to redeem them.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I worked in the auto parts industry for many years. I had too many experiences to mention. Three of my favorite comical encounters.

Customer: I need a front "kuntcha" light.
    Me: Uh, what is a kuntcha light.
    Customer: You know, when you turn a corner and the light on the dash goes "Kuntcha, kuntcha, kuntcha"

Customer: I need some spark plugs for my car. But I'll be honest, I can't remember if it's a 1963 Chevy II.........or a 1962 Chevy III.
    Me: (not being one to pass up an opportunity) "That's OK, they're both the same."

Customer: I'm fixin' to overhaul da motor in my truck. I wants the rangs, gastics, and insects................(A Note here for the uninformed, that's "rings, gaskets, and rod insert bearings")
    Me: OK, what kinda truck is it.
    Customer: It's a pickup truck.
    Me: No, what make and model is it.
    Customer: Oh its a Ford, but I don't know what year it is.
    Me: Well, is it a 6 or an 8 cylinder.
    Customer: Man, I don't know dat, I ain't tore it down yet.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I did it and hated it and hope I never have to go back to it. But I can honestly say I am never rude or loud or belligerent to a place of business for making an honest mistake now.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I used to work at a movie theater during college. People complained that the movie was late when it was 20 minutes before the scheduled showtime. Also, people loved to yell at me when the Icee machine was down because it had to somehow be my fault.

Also, when there were really popular movies out, I was stationed in front of the doors to check stubs so people wouldn't sneak in with a ticket to another movie. I often got called a racist while I was doing that, even though I checked everybody.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Never had the pleasure of working retail, don't think I would last a day without getting fired for calling someone a retard.
    I did service work for many years, trying to explain how you fixed something and what the charges are is bad enough.
    Now, I will say that probably many of the people working retail are complete morons, I have had run ins with my fair share of them. If you don't like making sub $10/hr and actually having to do something for it, find another line of work. (not directed at anyone here, but if you are a Walmart cashier or work in fast food, there is at least a 50/50 chance).
    I prefer someone to know what they are selling. If I walk into the autoparts store and say I want dist cap for a gm hei, you should have some general idea what I am looking for. I had a car salesman argue with me once that a Camaro was front wheel drive, "GM doesn't make rear wheel drive cars", this is the same guy that claimed the 6.0 gas burner he was trying to sell my dad would out pull our current diesel.
    My point is that retail is not for everyone.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't work in a nice part of town, so I see a lot of government leeching a-holes. People blaming me about the cost of their pain meds and xanax. People with medicaid that consistently go to the emergency room or "clinics" that don't take insurance only to get rx's for 100's of pain pills at a time. There's just so much crap I have to deal with.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    I don't work in a nice part of town, so I see a lot of government leeching a-holes. People blaming me about the cost of their pain meds and xanax. People with medicaid that consistently go to the emergency room or "clinics" that don't take insurance only to get rx's for 100's of pain pills at a time. There's just so much crap I have to deal with.

what zipcode?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ha, I worked in a store for around 8 years. Last august I had the opportunity to leave the stores and do other things not customer facing. Even though I'm making less, no overtime and bonuses are not near as the store, I work m-f 7-3 mostly. I travel more but it's like 1 week a month.

There are a ton of jobs in retail that aren't customer facing. When I get to a computer I'll write about the dudes that passed three other stores to come to my store with a broken product. Pretty funny asking them why.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Customer called in, "I need to speak to the manager" I proceed to go out and pose to be the most polite person ever and want to solve their problem "What can I do for you ma'am?" She then tells me "my coney was cold I need a new one." I swear to you there was just over a BITE left of this footlong hotdog. And I'm sure all the fast food people here have been asked for a "red drank" before!

Top Bottom