Help choosing new hand guard

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I cant make up my mind on what hand guard to put on my 11.5 sbr build. I have been thinking about the 10 inch kmr,daniel defense 9.0 mfr, and midwest industries gen 2 ss 10 inch. Any other option or ideas will be welcome. I will have a suppresser on it one day so the rail has to be short enough to allow it to mount. Thanks for the help.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Your suppressor could fit inside of your hand guard and give it a nice look if you'll be running it primarily suppressed. Just check the I.D. of the hand guard and O.D. of the suppressor you're using.

Last edited:

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    Your suppressor could fit inside of your hand guard and give it a nice look if you'll be running it primarily suppressed. Just check the I.D. of the hand guard and O.D. of the suppressor you're using.

I thought of that but I am not sure what can I will go with. And i want the option of shooting without a can and not damaging the rail. I am sure an brake could destroy the rail.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Currently went through the same decision. I narrowed it down to the Midwest SSK 10.5" Mlok and SLR Solo Ultra Lite Mlok 10". Both will clear my AAC suppressor. Ultimately ended up ordering the SLR.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Speed and I were on the same wavelength when discussing our builds. The video below shows the lite version of the SLR rail. The ultra lite doesn't have a full top rail. Not having to align the barrel nut for the gas tube makes this a no brainer for me.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I went with the 10.5" midwest ssk for my 11.5 upper and I'm really pleased. It's lightweight, yet feels very sturdy. Leaves enough clearance to mount a qd can. The built in qd sling points are also a nice bonus. I'm glad I didn't spend $100 more for the bcm kmr.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'm running a YHM Diamond 9.675" on my 10.5". Looking to get a new upper with A2 site and going old skool on a SBR with my Surefire....
    bccc78318f17cbc8e79bf8b213a34091.jpg

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm using a seekins MCSR on a couple of my rifles. So far I like it. I like how wide it is, so I don't feel it get as hot as a slimmer rail. I also like my DD lite rail. I know quad rails aren't the "in" rails now a days. But honestly, it's light, I don't have to buy "rail sections" for accessories, and it's slim while still staying cool. On my keymod rail, I don't like how my flash light feels when connected to a rail section.

DSC_0095_zps1vfjtuib.jpg

I also have a KAC URX4 on a rifle, I like the feel of it also.

I have a Sampson Evo which I like how it feels, but I do not like how it tightens on from the bottom. B/c Depending on how much you torque it, it'll effect the angle of the rail which ends up being slightly slanted which would throw off your front sight.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for all the replies. I never heard of SLR rifleworks before and must say i really like this one. http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_69&product_id=357
    One other question which is the better system keymod or mlok or is it really just a personal preference?

I think keymod is more popular for right now, but considering magpul designed the m-lok and geissele and midwest also supports it, it'll only be a matter of time before m-lok is just as popular.

Then again seekins has been putting their MCSR rail out and it's been on everything from cheap Radical builds to more expensive seekins uppers. Along with noveske using the keymod, keymod isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I think keymod is more popular for right now, but considering magpul designed the m-lok and geissele and midwest also supports it, it'll only be a matter of time before m-lok is just as popular..

This. I like the price and cooler to the touch factor of the MOE guards when I shoot a lot over my free floaters. Beside that, the Magpul doesn't suffer the same visible nicks, dings and scuffs that the aluminum guards do.
    Plus, they're a lot less expensive. They're not for all my AR builds, but most of them.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I have the DD 12" on my 10.5" SBR.

I use a KAK Muzzle device on it when I'm not running suppressed. It clears the end of the rail by about .5". When I run the SBR with a Can, a little over an inch is shrouded in the handguard and OAL is that of a 16" rifle.

e5d201a6-1ad0-4db8-93d9-618cfb9eaeb4_zps9pfr0rvv.jpg

18d2aa48-31ad-438e-ba23-ce9123caa00a_zpsxcre7smd.jpg

It's 300AAC, so I'm using a pistol can and subs.

On my other SBR, I'm running a seekins 9" rail with a 9.25" barrel with a silencerco brake. Specwar762 goes right on. no problem.

6abf25db-92c7-41d2-b551-bd1234244ab3_zpsfwvpbrqg.jpg

Top Bottom