Magpul Glock mag update: ‘We screwed up’

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    At the top of this year Magpul announced yet another ground-breaking product, the PMAG 17. An inexpensive polymer 17-round Magpul magazine for Glock 17s, the PMAG 17 was guaranteed to succeed even before it hit the market. About the only thing that could go wrong was if some small, but critical step or test was overlooked.

Full article here:

http://www.guns.com/2015/04/16/magpul-glock-mag-update-we-screwed-up/

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Not terribly surprising.

Not sure why, but it seems like Magpul is prone to this sort of thing... even if there is no per-se problem with a new product, they will frequently release newer versions only a year or two later with various improvements. I haven't bought a just-released magpul product since the mrev pmag.

At the end of the day though I would rest assured knowing that it's going to be a quality product. Other aftermarket mag companies don't give a damn, but Magpul does.

deltabagel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    even if there is no per-se problem with a new product, they will frequently release newer versions only a year or two later with various improvements.

Well put.

They make improvements on a working design. It sounds as though the pooch screwed the wrench in the machine in some regards to feed lip specs. In today's face-saving before anything market it is comforting to see MagPul step up and own what happened, their CEO no less.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Good on Magpul, but Glock factory mags work too well to shove to the side and be replaced by an ever changing design.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    So, has anybody tried the new mag bodies they are now putting out. They popped up yesterday at Midway for a decent price and I picked one up that I would like to have as a spare for a 19. I know the initial problems were not with them in the 17 but mostly when they went in midsize and small Glocks. I don't plan on using as a CC spare but maybe at home for home defense. Any thoughts?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have never had an issue with any OEM Glock magazine and see no reason to change.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well, I trust their AR mags, their other AR products, and their phone cases. Why wouldn't the idea of a lower priced Glock magazine not be of interest to me? The question is has anybody tried the newer mag bodies and had success? When it comes down to it I won't actually trust it until it goes to the range and proves itself but it is good to hear from people on here that may have already tested them.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I plan on getting a few for range mags. I have far too many OEM glock mags with Plus followers to dump them strictly for magpul. I do like their stuff though. always pretty well thought out in the design phase. In this case they missed a critical measurement.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Magpul mags came in today. Look good and drop free like they should. Have not shot with them yet.
    42420779e7623897a49678c12c4e68a6.jpg

fa4ea7a67548b074690633f9e086a246.jpg

846328bc5d28868e75e7dac49b46c23b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    I bought 2 from Midway when first available with the old design. Midway did ship out the replacement bodies, no problem. Magpul advised to make sure the new mags were dated coded 5/15. I decided to check the old bodies to find one was dated 2/2014. I guess Magpul was working on and testing the mags for quite some time before releasing them.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    So I don't get it. Why would I want a Magpul mag for one of my Glocks? What is the advantage?

It was simple for me...I had three Glock 17 Mags and when at the range, wanted to have more mags to have already loaded up. At $13 and change a mag, this was the answer. Also, I think it's safe to say that when most of us carry or load a glock pistol for home defense...it will have a Glock factory mag in it.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    So I don't get it. Why would I want a Magpul mag for one of my Glocks? What is the advantage?

Probably the same reason I buy Magpul mags for my AR instead of Colt mags. Price and dependability. I've bought them for about 11 bucks in the past. They work perfectly fine.

If I can buy Magpul mags for my Glock at under 15 bucks, and they work, I'll buy them.

With a retail of 15.95ish, I'm pretty sure the street prices will be as low, and maybe lower than 12 bucks.

Top Bottom