Nitrogen setup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Just got through filling and shooting my disco for the first time. First fill is nitrogen and I hope to keep it that way. Sure will prevent moisture from getting in there.

Was working on a 20 ton hvac unit yesterday (and this is a hobby:rolleyes::rolleyes:) so I picked up a 2200 psi bottle of nitrogen to check for leaks. Used it all, so I got a fresh one to try on the disco. USPS had my purge valve lost/hung up somewhere, but finally arrived.

Hooked her up.......slowly opened the bottle valve very little at a time, while watching the gauge on the disco. Filled a little and waited, did this a few times as it does heat the tube a little. THIS IS A DIRECT FILL........SO YOU MUST BE PRECISE AND SLOW MANIPULATING THE BOTTLE VALVE.

Worked better than I even expected, stopped at 2000 psi.

Here's some pics of my setup and bottle. I do own a 1800 psi aluminum bottle, but they only fill once during the week. So it wasn't ready. I will try it later.

Got about $72 bucks in the rig. Nitrogen bottle was $10.05

Gonna get me a longer hose so I can tether the disco at the bench with my 1800 psi bottle.

Attachments

• fill rig nitrogen.jpg
      fill rig nitrogen.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 272
    • bottle.jpg
      bottle.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 237

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Cool to see a fellow pcp'er. I have a Hatsan BT65 which is a 3000 psi fill so even a regular dive tank wouldn't have given me many full fills. I bought a 106 cubic foot 4500 psi composite tank and couldn't be happier. Looked at the carbon fiber tanks but man are they expensive. I don't think moisture is usually an issue, the tank air is dry and even if you use a hand pump most of them have driers on them. I have had my air tube open a few times and it was clean and dry. I think you can get a 6000 psi nitrogen tank, man would that be a lot of fills!

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Great to have that information. I think the Hatsan's are great rifles. I settled on the Discovery because of the lower pressure (2000). Knew I could rig up some nitrogen to work. (cheaper than the hand pump)

I'm gonna do some research into the 6000 psi nitrogen, the welding company that fills my bottles does not have anything that high.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    My tank was around $450 I believe and I bought the hatsan fill adapter which was another $80 or so (good deal on amazon). Filling my 230cc reservoir from 2000-3000 I believe I get around 60 fills and then its off to the dive shop for a topping off at a whopping $9. Do some research about the corrosion in the guns from tank filling, it's not as much of a problem as you may expect. 80cf 3000 psi dive tanks can be had pretty cheap and are very cheap to refill.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have a Benjamin Discovery .22 coming in this weekend. I'll be using the hand pump with it. It seems to be consistently accurate from the reviews I've seen and I like the fact that regular scopes will work. I have a moderator ordered for it also. I may have to test it on the tree rats coming up this weekend.
    Do you have to have any special license to get and fill a nitrogen tank ? I paid $360 shipped for the rifle and pump combo.

Last edited:

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Hunter,

Nah..........just rent one from any welding supply. About $10 initial fill, then they charge you a monthly fee (about $6) to keep the bottle if you don't use it all. You can return it anytime.

I have an aluminum bottle that I can have them fill and don't have to pay to rent the bottle. You can get a aluminum 2200psi bottle for about $130, then about $70-80 to makeup your fill adaptor. No moisture with nitrogen whatsoever, even though HPA at scuba shops is pretty dry.

Dont know about the hand pumps, some say they have a desiccant in them.......can't be much. With the humidity down here, can't see it lasting very long (the desiccant).

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Hunter,

Sounds great............if you are happy with the pump that's what you ought to use. I just sought for a different route..........seeing I already had a nitrogen bottle. Got away a little cheaper at the start, but maybe not in the long run. Again I am not a high volume pcp shooter.........still like the smell of gunpowder!

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    My Crosman Challenger is an air fed PCP.

Fills come from scuba tanks. Got a couple steel 72cf tanks. One was given to me and the other was $5 at a pawn shop. The more commonly used 80cf aluminium tanks can also be found at reasonable prices. Underwater Adventures in BR is selling off some of their rental tanks for $125 including fresh inspection and fill.

I'm not a high volume air gunner so even a steel 72 will last me over a year.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    I don't do a lot of pellet gun shooting either so the pump that came with the rifle will be adequate for my needs. I bought it to do some target shooting in the backyard and for small game hunting. If I can find a cheap scuba tank, I may go that route but I'm not going to roll another $200 into a pellet gun. I do have a moderator coming to suppress the noise but that was only another $49. I have a few areas I can hunt with an air rifle where a regular firearm can't be used.
    I have a Ruger Impact .22 spring piston that is quiet also but the Benjamin is far more consistent in grouping pellets.
    I use the Crossman Premier 14.3gr hollowpoint pellets and so far they shoot the best after trying 4 different pellets.
    I am going to test the Benjamin Discovery Ultimate Hunting Pellet Assortment that has 400ct of 4 different types of pellets. I ordered it from Walmart for 8.77 shipped. They will cost double that if bought from Basspro.

Last edited:

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Sounds like you and me are on the same track. Trying to do the pcp on the cheap. Man! some of the rifles like the FX and others are super expensive.

Saw some 500 count 14.3 hp crossmans at some walmarts for $6.49 I think, went to one tonight and the same pellets were over $9. Going to try to find the $6 one's and buy a few.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Ellis,

May look into the $125 tanks............thank you. Going to also look into the 6000 psi nitrogen tanks, capitol welding supply doesn't deal with that high of pressure nitrogen. One of those would last a long................time.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    I tried the 4 pack and the Domed pellets shot the best followed by the hollowpoints and the flat tipped with a point. They all weighed in the 14.2-14.3 range. If you can find the Benjamin domed or hollowpoints which are the same as the Crossman 14.3.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    All the Wally world has around here are the Crosman HP in 22 cal. Found them in Zachary for $6.49, they were over $9 in central.

marada321

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    nicholasville,ky
    nitrogen bottle

Just got through filling and shooting my disco for the first time. First fill is nitrogen and I hope to keep it that way. Sure will prevent moisture from getting in there.

Was working on a 20 ton hvac unit yesterday (and this is a hobby:rolleyes::rolleyes:) so I picked up a 2200 psi bottle of nitrogen to check for leaks. Used it all, so I got a fresh one to try on the disco. USPS had my purge valve lost/hung up somewhere, but finally arrived.

Hooked her up.......slowly opened the bottle valve very little at a time, while watching the gauge on the disco. Filled a little and waited, did this a few times as it does heat the tube a little. THIS IS A DIRECT FILL........SO YOU MUST BE PRECISE AND SLOW MANIPULATING THE BOTTLE VALVE.

Worked better than I even expected, stopped at 2000 psi.

Here's some pics of my setup and bottle. I do own a 1800 psi aluminum bottle, but they only fill once during the week. So it wasn't ready. I will try it later.

Got about $72 bucks in the rig. Nitrogen bottle was $10.05

Gonna get me a longer hose so I can tether the disco at the bench with my 1800 psi bottle.

Hello, i'm new to the pcp world , i have a benjamin discovery and i'm very interested in your nitrogen setup. Did you purchase the nitrogen bottle or rent it? what does it cost to fill it? and do you have a gauge on your tank or just on your gun? does your tank hookup come as a unit or do you have to buy pcs and make it? sorry for so many questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom