Grand Theft Auto 5 AR Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    My 17yo son, Austin is into video games and guns. Last month he asked if I could make a gun like the one in GTA5 that is called the Rifle Carbine. Yes I know dumb name, kind of like jumbo Shrimp.

dm48xh.jpg

1z36otx.jpg

The rifle in the game is a SBR AR with a skeleton stock that looks close to the Ace stock. In the game a suppressor can be put on the gun. Here is what it looks like.
    263tw0z.jpg

2zjcaox.jpg

I told Austin that I could build one that would look almost like it and he said that would be cool.
    So my goal is to build the gun as close as I can to the one in the game, but keep the cost under $650. I don't plan to make it a SBR. Instead I will put a fake suppressor over the end of the barrel to give it the look of a SBR.
    Here are the parts I have in right now.
    Anderson lower with built in triggerguard $40
    3167wc7.jpg

Anderson upper $40 DPMS charging handel $15
    spbqpx.jpg

PSA Nickel Boron coated BCG $99
    11vl1yc.jpg

Carbon fiber Free Float Hand Guard 9" $80
    9uasur.jpg

16 inch carbin barrel 1/8 twist, with gas block, gas tube and barrel nut $130
    1622uck.jpg

These are the grips I had on hand with lower kits. I'm going to go with the Blackhawk grip on the right. LPK $50
    zmdws5.jpg

Today the Ace buttstock arrived $65
    3166dko.jpg

So far I'm at $519.

I'm still waiting on the A2 buffer tube assembly to come in.
    Oh! I forgot to order the forward assist and dust cover.
    Maybe my buddy has some extra parts at his shop. If the buffer tube arrives this week, I can finish the rifle this weekend.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    A Barrel Shroud (What you're looking for, not a fake suppressor) is not that expensive at all. However, it will replace your flash hider and make a nice fireball with every round you send downrange. Just don't put your hand too close to it. They do warm up as the barrel does.

Here's a site where you can "create your own" from various options... http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-your-own-barrel-shroud/ -- $60.00

Here's another on Amazon for $40 -- http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms...&qid=1431451561&sr=8-4&keywords=barrel+shroud

There's a bunch out there.

What I'd like to see is how much you get the ELCAN for.

Here's a "replica" from China on Amazon with an RMR. From what I've read, the construction is great and the durability is substantial with some positive reviews. Of course it will never replace the real thing... but it can replace the cost if all you're looking for is replicating the GTA weapon.

http://www.amazon.com/Airsoft-Magni...ie=UTF8&qid=1431451638&sr=1-17&keywords=Elcan

Personally, I would have went with the S&W M&P 15-22 and just made the modifications. The Hogue grip would fit, and with a barrel nut adapter, so would the hand-guard and the stock. It would also work well with the fake Elcan Optic (low recoil) and not run you anywhere near as much money. Your son would have the opportunity for more fun plinking with the 15-22 than the 5.56 as well because you could take it to handgun caliber ranges (not sure if you are around an outdoor rifle range). As for making the bolt silver and the buffer tube, the buffer tube on the 15-22 is empty and polymer... so you could paint it... the 15-22 "bolt" is already silver. The buffer tube is Mil-Spec by the way.

Here's mine... fully loaded. Was able to get almost every AR "bubba" add-on... Anti-Walk pins, 60 degree safety, even found a custom-made working dust cover!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428186349.898534.jpg

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Thinks for the links Kingfhb.
    I already have five ARs, not counting the HK 416D in 22lr
    This is just one of the five AR builds I am working on right now. When I started getting in the parts, my son said that he really didn't think I was going to build it. He is already calling it his rifle.

Here are the other four I have in the works.
    #1 The Gray Ghost
    I'm waiting on the Magpul gray furniture to show up to start the build.
    zuppa8.jpg

#2 The Purple People Eater
    My daughter wanted me to build her a pink AR and I said no.
    I have the upper, lower and quad rail at the shop to have them Cerakoted Purple.
    I started off with a PSA P-Tac rifle kit I got on sale for under $300.
    It will get a black Magpul MOE buttstock and grip.
    kdqucl.jpg

#3 The Spartan Billet Build.
    I have the barrel, Black Nitride AR carbine barrel in 223 Wylde 1/8 Waiting on the 15" quad rail and need to find a flash hider with a cool look.
    2z3vpm9.jpg

#4 Lone Survivor rifle build
    Here is the started rifle I built.
    2ypf139.jpg

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    When I got home from work the buffer tube assembly was in the mail box.
    I still need to get a dust cover and forward assist. I had a fake suppressor in my parts box, not the one I want, but put it on till I get one that looks closer to the one in the game.
    I have a Magpul angle grip around here and as soon as I find it I will mount it on the gun.
    fc6xk5.jpg

euohox.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Great thread Candyman, although it is odd seeing you messing around with the new plastic and aluminum junk. :D

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have a large collection that spans a wide slection of rifle and handguns, and there are a few shotguns too.
    ARs are fun to build and to shoot. Hell, their so easy to build, just about all you have to do is put the parts in a bag and shake them together.
    But I do like the older stuff the most, they have history.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom