Saiga 12 help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    A friend has a Saiga that is missing the takedown plunger on the recoil spring assembly. The button you have to push down before you can push the recoil spring assembly forward to remove the dust cover. He has been unable to find a replacement and has asked me to make one. Can someone measure how far the plunger sticks up proud of the recoil assembly? From that I can work out the length of the plunger. The small cross pin is still in place, so I don't know how the original plunger & spring disappeared.

Thanks!
    Doug

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    It's not needed. Look at an ak. As far as length, you could measure the length of it button spring compressed, and the depth of the hole. Subtract the the compressed spring length from the hole depth. The remainder is the length of the pin. As the pin needs to be press flushed, in order to remove the recoil spring assembly.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    It was 3 A.M. I couldn't sleep and in an insomniac stuper I decided to take mine apart, leaving it apart tonight let me know if you need another measurement, seriously doubt you will though I went overboard. I don't know how you plan on making but I would take either a drill bit or old punch the same diameter drill out the spring hole and grind the side down then cut to length.

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Crimson,

That is so much more than I needed. It takes all the fun out of the "flying by the seat of my pants" machine work that I usually have to do. Absolutely perfect! Many thanks!

Raindrops,

I am well versed in the AK-47/AKM/AK-74/RPK/SVD series firearms. None of these have the takedown plunger, however none of these are in 12 gauge either. Without the plunger the dust cover pops off every shot.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    It wasn't my intention to insult your knowledge of the the ak platform. Just stating the button isn't needed when the gun is running correctly. Typical the top "dust cover" forward edge sits in a radiused groove, int the rear of the gas tube. The dust cover's rear edge is wedged into a left to right groove, of the guns rear trunnion. This prevents the dust cover from moving back and forth. If excessive play is noticed in the forward / rear directions the rear edge of the dust cover should be slightly bent (rear) to remove all slack. The recoil spring assembly rear edge rest, inside of forward, rear groove of the rear trunnion. When the recoil spring assembly, is in the rear trunnion and the rear hole in the dust cover there is no way for cover to pop off (lock or no lock) unless something isn't correct with the gun.. In order for the cover to pop up. The spring assembly rear end needs to move forward. And it has a constant force on it, from the spring. If it does pop up the receiver is flexing / twisting. This normally happens when the gas setting is in the wrong position, and higher powered shells are being used. Then the reciever is getting battered.
    No offense is intended. Just gun talk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom