Ever heard of dark lightning?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Very interesting. Thanks Tom. Revelations such as this always make me wonder how many other mysterious unseen and unkowns there are that we can't even imagine exist.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    The space Shuttle and Space Station had reported the lightning sprites as visibly observed above the clouds, it would seem that these are the results of the strongest of lightning strikes that produce the sprites. It would seem reasonable that the dark lightning may result from the sprites shooting out into the upper atmosphere.

As a firefighter for many years, I have seen many of the damaging results of lightning strikes where structures, power lines and equipment and trees were struck. The power of nature is truly amazing...

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    These are phenomena that have been there all the time and we are just becoming aware of them. Now that we are studying them, more is revealed and that makes it all the neater.

I think it was NOVA that had a show on them a year or two ago.

Here's an article from WaPo that complements the original post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/thunderstorms-contain-dark-lightning-invisible-pulses-of-powerful-radiation/2013/04/08/1c796ebc-8a76-11e2-a051-6810d606108d_story.html

The only difference between X-rays and gamma rays is their energies. When I was a pup, X-rays came from electron orbitals and gamma rays from atomic nuclei, but that has changed. Physics was simpler then. The Van Allen Belts hadn't been discovered. Same with lasers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom