Sales Tax Holiday For Storm Prep Supplies - LA only

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    The annual state sales tax holiday for Louisiana purchases of Hurricane Preps is this weekend.

It is a great time to buy (if you need them obviously)the following items in Louisiana:

portable self-powered light source;

portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;

tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;

any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;

any gas or diesel fuel tank;

any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;

any cellular phone battery and any cellular phone charger;

any non-electric food storage cooler;

any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;

any "storm shutter device", as defined in the Act;

any carbon monoxide detector; and

any blue ice product.

http://revenue.louisiana.gov/NewsAndPublications/hurricanepreparednesssalestaxholiday

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Guns and ammo should count as storm prep. Never know when we'll get another flood of refugees that need your stuff.

Obviously you are not aware that the LA Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday occurs each year during the first weekend in September and has since 2009.

2015 Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Sales Tax Holiday: September 4-6

http://www.revenue.louisiana.gov/NewsAndPublications/secondamendmentsalestaxholiday

Animal feed that is manufactured and marketed as being for consumption primarily by game, which can be legally hunted; this does not include food for animals kept as pets;

Apparel such as safety gear, camouflage clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, mittens, face masks and thermal underwear manufactured and marketed as being primarily for wear or use while hunting;

Archery items used for hunting such as bows, crossbows, arrows, quivers and shafts;

Bags to carry game or hunting gear;

Belts that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting;

Binoculars only if purchased to be used for hunting;

Blinds;

Chairs to be used for hunting; this excludes purchases by an individual of chairs or other furniture for household, business or other recreational use;

Decoys;

Firearm, archery, and other accessories designed for hunting;

Float tubes only if purchased to be used for hunting;

Hearing protection gear and enhancements;

Holsters;

Hunting shoes or boots designed and used for hunting;

Knives that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting; this excludes the purchase of knives by an individual to be used for household, business or other recreational use;

Miscellaneous gear that is manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting; this includes other hunting-related gear or supplies not previously listed. This excludes the purchase of toy guns and vessels or off road vehicles utilized as children's toys;

Off-road vehicles such as all-terrain vehicles designed and intended primarily for hunting; the exemption does not apply to golf carts, go-carts, dirt bikes, mini-bikes, motorcycles, tractors, motor vehicles which may be legally driven on the streets and highways of Louisiana, or heavy equipment such as cranes, forklifts, backhoes and bulldozers;

Optical equipment such as rifle scopes and impact resistant glasses for shooting;

Range finders;

Slings;

Tools that are manufactured and marketed as being primarily for use in hunting;

Tree stands;

Decoys; and

Vessels such as airboats and pirogues designed and intended for hunting.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You are absolutely correct, and should it pass, Hurricane Preparedness Holiday would not be affected.

Unfortunately, I fear that the 2nd Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will not be happening this year. My opinion is based on the fact that HRC 15 sailed through the House (83 to 7) and that this session has been complete bloodbath. Theoretically, killing the tax holiday will create revenue without a "tax increase" which under the current climate makes it a win/win for the legislators and Jindal.

Of course, I hope that I am wrong. That weekend is a boon for local 2A businesses, much like Christmas time for other retailers. If it is suspended, I suspect some will either eat the tax or compensate their customers in some other way, since people have come to expect the holiday. 9% may not seem like much, but for smaller gun stores and FFLs, it's a lot. Firearm margins are slim. Further, they will also now have to advertise whatever benefits they will be offering, which isn't free.

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    You are absolutely correct, and should it pass, Hurricane Preparedness Holiday would not be affected.

Unfortunately, I fear that the 2nd Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will not be happening this year. My opinion is based on the fact that HRC 15 sailed through the House (83 to 7) and that this session has been complete bloodbath. Theoretically, killing the tax holiday will create revenue without a "tax increase" which under the current climate makes it a win/win for the legislators and Jindal.

Of course, I hope that I am wrong. That weekend is a boon for local 2A businesses, much like Christmas time for other retailers. If it is suspended, I suspect some will either eat the tax or compensate their customers in some other way, since people have come to expect the holiday. 9% may not seem like much, but for smaller gun stores and FFLs, it's a lot. Firearm margins are slim. Further, they will also now have to advertise whatever benefits they will be offering, which isn't free.

I agree that this bad news for gun store owners and I do understand that a 9% erosion of margin even when there is a 20% to 30% margin is the difference between covering overhead and not covering overhead on a sale.

My point being the way to address this lies in contacting state senators and explain to them what it means...that and get gun owners to the do the same. The way the bill is written it obscures the fact that the 2A and the Back To school tax break will be eliminated. The key to getting attention is getting moms up in arms over the back to school and gun owners about the 2A tax break.

The sad part is that many people do not know these exist and that they will lose them.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Would contacting the NRA be of any use?

For what? No rights have been violated. Nothing states that there has to be a tax free weekend very year. Dear lord. This is starting to sound like the welfare recipients complaining about the it benefits. The NRA has much bigger issues to deal with these days. If they keep the tax free weekend, awesome. If they decide to do away with it.... Not that big of a deal.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For what? No rights have been violated. Nothing states that there has to be a tax free weekend very year. Dear lord. This is starting to sound like the welfare recipients complaining about the it benefits. The NRA has much bigger issues to deal with these days. If they keep the tax free weekend, awesome. If they decide to do away with it.... Not that big of a deal.

The irony of conservatives complaining about losing a tax benefit is not lost on me, I assure you. My saving a few bucks is not as much of a concern as the unforeseen difficulties that the small businesses are likely about to have on their hands. It's not the end of the world, but it still sucks.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The irony of conservatives complaining about losing a tax benefit is not lost on me, I assure you. My saving a few bucks is not as much of a concern as the unforeseen difficulties that the small businesses are likely about to have on their hands. It's not the end of the world, but it still sucks.

I fully agree. It sucks to lose, but not a big deal to the extent that some people on here are making it out to be

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I fully agree. It sucks to lose, but not a big deal to the extent that some people on here are making it out to be

The 2nd Amendment weekend can actually make up a pretty significant chunk of the year's sales for gun shops. It is definitely a big deal. I do agree it's not by any means a "right" or a valid complaint, but it sure did help stimulate the economy and isn't a trivial matter to the small businesses in the industry. And it does sorta twist the blade that they worry so much about tax income when the spending and waste is so ridiculous.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The 2nd Amendment weekend can actually make up a pretty significant chunk of the year's sales for gun shops. It is definitely a big deal. I do agree it's not by any means a "right" or a valid complaint, but it sure did help stimulate the economy and isn't a trivial matter to the small businesses in the industry. And it does sorta twist the blade that they worry so much about tax income when the spending and waste is so ridiculous.

Again. I agree that it sucks. But as stated people are acting lie this is a right. If it were a right, how about gov established tax free car sale weekends, or tax free home purchasing? Tax free gasoline weekend? Hell I could use a new iPad. Tax free apple products weekend. You can use that argument for any business out there.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    If you are that cheap and want to save the money, order it from Buds and send em a check for the cash discount. How many of the concerned local gun shop supporters have bought a gun at Accademy or walmart to save a few bucks? The state is half a billion dollars in the red even after straightening the budget out, something's gotta give. 2nd amendment holiday is something. What yall gonna do? Riot like the welfare recipients if they had to get drug tested and start cutting SNAP? Of course not. Law abiders have too much to loose to actually do anything effective about it. Again a WIN for the dregs of society. Welcome to the new America.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Again. I agree that it sucks. But as stated people are acting lie this is a right. If it were a right, how about gov established tax free car sale weekends, or tax free home purchasing? Tax free gasoline weekend? Hell I could use a new iPad. Tax free apple products weekend. You can use that argument for any business out there.

Well actually not paying taxes is a right. The .gov is not entitled to my (or your) money. They are NOT entitled to taxes or "revenue" as the .gov likes to say to obscure its funding source.

We allow the .gov to collect the taxes for specific purposes that we the people deem necessary through elected representatives. If we the people tell those elected officials that we do not want pay taxes for period or specific items it is our right to do so. That is not entitlement, if anything it is the .gov and the .gov employees who have an entitlement mentality towards taxes.

BTW house sales are not subject to sales tax. Gasoline is likewise exempt from sales tax; the tax collected on gasoline is excise tax and computed quite differently. Car sales for vehicles registered in LA are never exempted for sales/use tax. As for tax free Ipad buy one off of Ebay or Amazon where they do not collect sales tax .

You still owe use tax though if you do that.

Based upon your reply I must assume you do file and pay for all of you consumer use tax for your online purchases on lines 17 & 18 of your LA state income tax form?You know the use tax @ 4% for all of the on line ammo, reloading supplies, clothing and of the other things you buy on line where they do not collect sales tax but you still owe the use tax. Right? Yes of course you do.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I don't shop online.

A right to not pay taxes...... Sure. Go ahead and not pay taxes and see just how well that works out for you.

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I don't shop online.

A right to not pay taxes...... Sure. Go ahead and not pay taxes and see just how well that works out for you.

So you do not buy goods on line at all. What is wrong? No credit card?...surely you leave the state and when you travel out of town surely you buy things, food, sundries clothing, how about software and apps that you download on your phones when you bring them back they are subject to LA use tax. I am sure you pay that tax. How about fill up your gas tank in another state and bring the gas back home when you return? The first would subject you to use tax since you failed to pay LA sales tax on it. The second would subject you to LA excise tax since you did not pay state of LA excise tax. I am sure you add those to your line 17 and 18 state tax for 540 (the state tax form). Right? Most likely not.

As for your statement about the "right not to pay taxes" you obviously think the right to impose taxes comes from the government and not from the people. That is clearly not the case. The priviledge to collect taxes is given to the .gov by the people.

There is a right to lawfully avoid or minimize your tax bill. That is called tax planning and it quite legal.

BTW if you are willing to pay more "revenue"/taxes feel free to send your check any state agency you care to send it...I assume you have a checking account? You can pay sales tax on your house purchase and gasoline to those agencies ...because after all it is your obligation not mine or anyone else to overpay taxes.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The way I've always seen it is that I get taxed every two weeks and a good chunk of my check goes poof before I even see it. Everything else is mine to spend as I see FIT and the more I can buy without paying one red cent of tax the happier I am. Granted I still have to buy somethings and get taxed yet again but, I do my best to avoid it.

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK