Best hearing protection for kids?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Stumbled on a pack of hogs this weekend with one of my kids at 30 or so yards. I had an AR with me, managed to get one, but I prefer a shotgun with OO in the brush - the lack of a suppressor and not wanting to blow my kids ears out keeps me using an AR with a can.

My inclination is to get some of the Surefire Sonic Ears for them. We hunt/depopulate hogs in Texas so it is a bit warm in the summer for electronic ears.

Curious to know if anyone has a better solution. We're out in the fields for some extended stretches so something comfortable is key.

They boys are 8.5 but the size of your avg 12 year old for reference...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If they are the size of the average 12 year old, I'd be buying Howard Leight Impact Sports for the both of them. They are great for the money and can be had for $40ish on sale. When I really want to double up on protection, I put my Surefire Sonic Defenders on, then my HL Impact Sports.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Get a can for your shotgun too. Problem solved. :)

Seriously though. Kid's hearing is nothing to trifle with. I always suggest doubling up on hearing protection for kids, because they may not tell you if the protection they are using is ineffective. I'd suggest some good quality rubber ear plugs, with electronic muffs. If it's too hot for the muffs, don't shoot. A child's hearing is way more important than a couple minutes of fun.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I use the electronic devices like Pro Ears. PE is a little pricey. Sports stores usually carry the $100 variety. The beautiful thing about the electronic ear muffs is that the kids can hear me talk. The ambient sound volume, including speech, can be adjusted to any volume level that is comfortable. So the kids and I can talk or whisper and still hear each other. Then when the weapon is discharged the muffling comes into effect and no loud noise penetrates the muffs. These are worth their weight in gold at the range when I'm teaching the kids proper stance, grip, or see a safety procedure they may have missed. I don't have to yell and interfere with other shooters. Just whisper "safety on" or "thumbs forward" or whatever and the kids learn a lot faster and I don't have to yell.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a big fan of electronic hearing protection but out in the field when it's hot and just needing to cover up once in a while, plugs on a plastic band are my favorite. Just leave around your neck until you need them.

Top Bottom