RANGE BAGS! - What do you use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Let's see..... A milsurp patrol pack that has the bare essentials (mags, muffs, a box or two of ammo, earplugs, scorebook, mini binos, shooting glasses, pens/pencils, sight covers, oil, minimal cleaning equipment, small tools for sights, a spare sling, scoring gauges, neckerchief, stopwatch, firmgrip, sight black, empty-chamber device, a few targets, a Boonie Hat, and a rainsuit in an external pouch), then a camelbak to wear, then there's the Range Supplies Bag which is an old Salesmans-Catalog type briefcase, kind of like what pilots use to keep charts in, except this is where I store a staple gun, staples, clothspins, spring clips, black and white pasters, spindles, shot-size and score-size marker disks, brass pick-up bags, duct tape, a few more targets, magic markers, extra muffs and plugs for guests), then there's the rolled shooting mat, then the target bag which is a 24" x 36" canvas bag with an assortment of (lots more) targets.

There's also the tackle box with cleaning equipment, various oils and greases, and associated tools for the rifles. Must not forget the ammo cans, I generally have one labeled "Rifle" one labeled "Pistol". Also have a Pelican case with a spotting scope, stands, extension rods, a weight for the bottom, and also the larger binoculars. Can't forget the proper magazines, nor the weapons in cases. Also some E-silhouettes and a base to hold them up.

Sounds like a lot, and it could quickly fill up a pickup (and sometimes does for full-on shooting days), but generally it's just the backpack, weapon in it's case w/mags & ammo, and the range-supplies briefcase. I build from there with additional stuff depending on how much time available or where I'm going or how many weapons I'm planning on shooting. Never purposely went out and bought a special purpose bag, just used what was on hand.

For minimal pistol shooting, just a padded softcase with the pistol inside, and an external pocket with magazines, ammo, oil, and earplugs. This I HAVE recently bought, and I've found that the Bulldog Cases seem to work well for me. http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-vaults/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=396

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I use a 5.11 bag they call a "bugout" bag. Obviously this would be way to small for most of yall.
    It has 3 mag pockets on the front that can hold 3 30rd Pmags each, 2 of the bulkiest 30rd ak mags, or a Gatorade/water bottle, it has a zippered pocket on each side that are deceivingly roomy and have molle webbing on the outside, molle webbing on the inside of the main compartment and has a nice padded shoulder strap and a Velcro strap on the back to hook to your belt. My only complaint is the lack of some sort of carry handles.

I put a 3 ar mag holder on the molle inside that I use for pistol mags, tools, parts, ect. In one side pocket I have my oil and a large selection of tools and cleaning equipment. In the other side pocket is my ear and eye pro., binoculars, pen, pencil, sharpie, and note pad.
    I have easily put over 60lbs of pistols, ammo, mags, and whatnot in this bag and have been using it for about 5 years now.
    Might not be what your looking for, but don't let the smaller size fool ya, this bag can handle a lot.

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Have to say this about a new range bag I bought. It is a G.P.S. Range bag. and I have not seen one any better. It has wheels so one can just roll it around. There are more compartments than one will ever need. I have 27 magazines for a 1911 in the holders provided. With compartments for six handguns and a lot more. The zipper locks. Very well build and I have 400 rounds of ammo in plastic cases on the bottom with room for 10 times that amount. There are some compartments I have yet to figure what they are for and two plastic boxes I have no idea what they would be used for.

While not cheap, it is a one time buy because it would never wear out.

I have used bags by other makers as well as tool bags. Nothing comes close to measuring up to this bag.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    G.P.S. Medium Range Bag has been my go to bag for a couple years now.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Grizzly Industrial Inc. (grizzly.com) has a sale going on Precision Products Bald Eagle range bags. These are nice bags. I paid $53 for a 20" (24 1/2" overall length) a couple years ago. They are currently on sale $29.95 for a 20" and $24.95 for a 15".

I also bought a $24.99 Plano large field box from Academy. The hard box can also serve as a drink table during lunch at an Appleseed or similar event.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom