FYI Bass Pro in Denham is keeping serial numbers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    I was a Bass Pro shooting ranger member.
    I went to the range inside of Bass Pro today, I have not gone in a while. Today, I presented my gun to the greeter and he went through the normal trigger lock and recording the serial number, name etc. When I left, the greeter removed the lock and instructed me to hand the slip of paper with the name, number etc. to the customer service desk. I used to keep it. I gave it to the CS desk and she scribbled something on it and that was it. I was like :confused:. So I walked out to my car chewing on what happened, wondering how big of a deal it was. I couldn't take it and went back in. The CS person said yup we (bass pro) keep them and file them away. I asked to talk to the manager, and the gun and range dept manager, Paul H. (I can't remember how to spell his last name) came down to talk to me. At first, he sounded as if he wasn't aware that it was happening. He explained that he was in charge of the range and not the greeter people. Then he went on to explain on why they file the serial number and names away. He explained that if something went wrong they would have my serial number to track me down...his words, not mine.
    I was polite but I raised a mild stink and got my slip back. I live nearby and have spent a butt ton of money there. I'm going to send an email to them and if you don't like this I suggest you do too. I'm going to refer them to this thread if it's okay.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Do they just ask your name?

If so tell them it's John Wilkes Booth next time. I used to go to shoot there all the time too I stopped going because they would give up most of the lanes to conceal carry classes the waiting is what done it for me...if I'm paying for a yearly membership I should never be asked to leave for a class to come in and shoot for a hour or more.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you have your CCP you don't have to stop and have your guns lock and recorded. Just tell them your conceal carry and keep on going.

You still fill out a form with your personal information before shooting every time you go to the range.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I just carry mine concealed and let them know at the entrance. Then proceed to upstairs to range. Fill out form to shoot...and you do not fill out any serial numbers on the form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    If you have a ccp you don't think you have to stop. IIRC, if you are open carrying you don't have to stop either, at least that what a greeter told me once. My beef is them keeping my firearms and their serial numbers on file. I have to wonder what reason they would have for doing that? They used to make it a point to give it back to you.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have been there a number of times but not a member. I flash my ccp at the greeter and keep going like I own the place. Never had a problem even with gun bags and ammo. Same drill when I get upstairs. Counter guy asks to see it and I flash it and put it back in my wallet. I fill out the range form myself. Don't remember if it wanted any numbers, but if it did I would have left leave blank anyway. They just don't need that info as far as I am concerned. Never had a problem. Admittedly, if I am there it is because I need to kill some time between meetings or something so it could be that I look like I don't want to be messed with too.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a CCP. I've never stopped to talk to the greeter with the purpose of showing them my concealed handgun or my permit. Concealed means concealed.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The only reason I tell them is because I have a bag with extra bullets and such. I don't look like the type to just have a purse. Upstairs they used to let you shoot just showing your range card. Filling that stuff out every time after you are a member is ridiculous.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    I understand that if I cc i don't have to go through all that. The point is that Bass Pro is maintaining a file with people's names and serial numbers in the first place. For what? Especially after they used to make a point of NOT doing it. I know how to avoid it. I'm just not going back, my membership expires next month anyway.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Okay. Thanks for the heads up. I also never renewed the membership to shoot there several years ago.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    FWIW, I never renewed my membership after I had to start filling out a form every time I went to shoot, that became the proverbial straw. The idea of the place was great, around the corner, pop in on the way to the grocery store and shoot 50 bullets to stay in practice. The reality was pop in on the way to the grocery store and wait an hour for the guys who brought 5 guns to shoot up his 500 rounds for an hour in the 4 lane shooting place so I can spend 5 minutes shooting my 50 bullets. And now fill out the stupid form I fill out every time I come here, the same information that is in their membership book.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    And now fill out the stupid form I fill out every time I come here, the same information that is in their membership book.

I asked them to give me a blank form. Filled it out minus the date and signature and made a bunch of copies. Now I just pull out a copy, date and sign, and go shooting. Not that it's a big deal either way, just more convenient.

I have a ccw permit and just tell them that at the door. They never ask to see it, just "have a nice day". Of course, no serial numbers are recorded, either.

I must say, the guys at the Bass Pro range have always treated me right. One of the employees there is a revolver nut like me, and we talk guns every time I go. I learned a lot from him, especially about reloading. Very nice guy.

Mrron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Addis, LA
    Ya I never have been questioned or given anything other than the caliber I am shooting and my DL. Les at the range counter is great, ex mil and ex cop.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Wife and I headed to BP for this afternoon to shoot. Walked in and was told by the greeter to have a good time. He didn't even ask to see my CCP. Headed upstairs filled out the paper work and headed into the range. Les was working as usual and he didn't ask for serial numbers, just the calibers we were going to shoot.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I understand that if I cc i don't have to go through all that. The point is that Bass Pro is maintaining a file with people's names and serial numbers in the first place. For what? Especially after they used to make a point of NOT doing it. I know how to avoid it. I'm just not going back, my membership expires next month anyway.

I would call the Corp Hq and ask them about it before I renewed

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I never knew Bass Pro had a range. Been to the one in Bossier City many times and never knew it and still not sure that location does but it is a large store.

Top Bottom