Need pack recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I'm headed to Colorado and Wyoming next week for a 10 day backpacking/fly fishing/prairie dog hunting trip. I have all my gear. Just need a PCI. The most we will be out at one time is 2-3 days. I used to use my old school backpack on overnight trips, but it's a little small for this application. So what should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Kifaru x-ray or xing, goruck gr1, depends on your packing list. Extra boots or other equipment make a big difference on the size you need.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I highly recommend Mystery Ranch!

My daypack is a Mystery Ranch ASAP (18 L) and my overnight/3day pack is a Kelty Redwing 50 (50 L):

18534670032_45bede0174_c.jpg

All of what is shown, plus more, goes into my Kelty Redwing (Either the tent+sleep pad or ENO hammock). I typically take just the hammock in my MR ASAP.

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Nice. We will be fly fishing so need room for waders/boots. Straps for tent and mat would be nice also.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    I would recommend Eberlestock for their ability to carry your rifle, or any of the other top notch Packs such as Mystery Ranch. The only down side is the price of those things. I know I have bought more than one and later wished I had bought a different one. if this is your first on not a regular trip or your just trying to save some cash I have an extra US Army pack. I started with this pack and leraned what I liked and didn't like then move on. this is an extra as I had bought 2, planned to use it for the wifes prepper /end of the world / zombie apocalypse etc, but its just been sitting in the box.

here is a link and i'm negotiable

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...U-S-Army-Ruck-w-frame-and-sustainment-pouches

if you have questions just give me a shout.

Last edited:

Pontchartrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    St Tammany Parish
    I like Osprey packs. I've used mine on two trips to Philmont with the Boy Scouts over the past eight years. Each Philmont trek was 60+ miles over 11 days/10 nights in the mountains of northeast New Mexico. Several members of our crew had Osprey packs in a variety of sizes and models with no problems. I've known of several failures of Alps Mountaineering packs including one in our group this year. I would avoid Alps packs. Don't forget to buy a rain cover for the pack. The best thing to do is go to an outfitter and try on several packs with weight in the packs. See which feels right on you. That is how I ended up buying an Osprey.

Other items to consider: a water bladder such as Camelback to slip into the pack; trekking poles for hiking in the mountains, compression sacks/ditty bags for packing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nice. We will be fly fishing so need room for waders/boots. Straps for tent and mat would be nice also.

If you're going to be carrying your fly rod, presumably in the case, I think you should look at the Kelty Redwing series. There is a slot for fishing rods/tent poles/trekking poles between the main compartment and the side pocket. The pack runs about $125 brand new, so it won't break the bank.

This is an overview, of my Kelty, that I wrote for another forum:

After plenty research and drooling on the keyboard. I finally picked up a new pack for overnight adventures. I decided on a Kelty Redwing 50L panel-loading pack. The Kelty 44L would have been perfect, but they are not available in a Large size. I'm 6'-4" tall and the Kelty M/L frame fits perfectly. I'm going to snap more pictures this week, but I took a comparison photo with my day packs for the time being. This pack will serve my overnight hiking needs and work well for those big hauls to the range. The last hike, to our private range, consisted of loading the ATV with gear, because of the mud and our packs were overfilled. I finally found the tent that I want and I'll be ordering it in a few weeks (The North Face - Storm Break 2). My buddy has the same tent and we gave it a test run the other day. At 5 lbs, it's hardly noticeable in this pack, which is a huge plus for me since I have two herniated discs :eek:

Size Comparison with my Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger and Camelbak Cloudwalker (Discontinued Model)

16561675499_7c980e0499_c.jpg

The Kelty Redwing 50 is technically considered an internal frame pack, because of the single aluminum "spine" located between the back padding, outside of the pack, but it is inserted by opening slots inside the pack. You can see a better view in the second picture. You can also see the back padding, which is quite comfortable, and the "Dynamic Airflow" to help cool you down.

16871312426_4ba376ea4b_z.jpg

16896213151_6392dd4b24_z.jpg

There is a bungee loop on both straps, to keep your hydration tube in place. There is also a loop on the chest strap for the same purpose. You can see how I mounted a small knife and firesteel on the load lifter strap. I can easily remove the knife sheath and put it on my belt, if I need it when I take my pack off.

16709772590_940ea5dec6_z.jpg

The hip belt is placed through a slot in the back padding with velcro and has webbing sewn in for attachments. I picked up a Condor i Pouch that is going to strap on here.

16689938507_26550fe842_z.jpg

The front compartment has two aluminum beads attached to the pulls, for easy recognition.
    I may end up removing these and adding them to a knife lanyard :D
    With the compartment open, you can see the numerous pockets for organization. I keep a Field Notes book, Mora, hydration pouch cleaning kit, and some other doodads in there for now. The two plastic tubes are actually Crystal Light tea pack containers repurposed to hold snacks or a fire kit.

16709599088_9c32f46203_z.jpg
    16274876984_c2fe562f7e_z.jpg

On each side of the pack, there are large vertical pockets that can hold more gear. I prefer to use them for food/water or something that is tall. They are large enough to fit a full size Nalgene or Camelbak 1L Chute.

16277308123_fee22d10a7_z.jpg
    16871513086_c452b44b91_z.jpg

Beneath each vertical compartment, behind the hip belt, is a bungee pouch that will also hold a Nalgene or Chute.

16690043267_51536081e5_z.jpg

16871495656_0b7193b6bb_z.jpg

One particular feature that I happen to love, is that the compression straps pass through the bungee pouch.

16277376793_f243705849_z.jpg

Back to the top of the pack, there is a small opening that leads to a fairly large compartment. I store headgear, gloves, and a headlamp here. You can see the hydration tube opening well, in the first and second pictures. The hydration pack hangs from the sewn in straps inside the pack. There are two clips to accommodate different bladders.

16711174759_a82d5c1ce4_z.jpg

16897353405_8b08e6346a_z.jpg

Another feature that I love about the pack, is that the main compartment doesn't open all the way when the upper compression straps are clipped on. This works well if you just want to stuff the pack or grab something quickly.

16709900950_5fef2279a4_z.jpg

With the pack fully open, you can see how spacious it is. It's very easy to load and get everything nice and tight.

16895950062_858cc5931f_z.jpg

Top Bottom