Tree Climber Recalls (Cable Failures Possible)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hunters, if you climb, check this out! This could cost you or someone you know their life.

[h=2]MANUFACTURERS PRODUCT RECALL[/h]
    We have received notice from the manufacturer that the following climbing treestands are under a product recall and should not be used under any circumstances.

If you purchased any of these treestands from May 2014 should contact the manufacturer directly.

[h=2]IMPORTANT PRODUCT RECALL[/h]
    Please discontinue the use of the following Climbing Treestands immediately:

Product Name: The Marksman Climbing Treestand
    Manufacturer: API Outdoors
    Part Number: GCL300-A
    Batch Number: 9G-0114 or 9G-0614

Product Name: Outlook Climber
    Manufacturer: Big Game Treestands
    Part Number: CL050
    Batch Number: 9B-0414

Product Name: Cobalt Climber
    Part Number: CL100-A
    Batch Number: 9B-0214 or 9B-0514

Product Name: Fusion Climber
    Part Number: CL500-AP
    Batch Number: 9B-0214 or 9B-0514

The manufacturer has recently discovered that some cable assemblies on certain 2014 climbing treestands may break during use, causing a fall hazard to users. :eek4:

Note: To determine if the stock you have is affected by this recall, identify the batch number on the side of the box. This batch number will be preceded with BN: and be directly above the weight and country of origin. The batch number is also identified on a small tag riveted to the stand.

Please call the manufacturer on 1-800-268-5077 from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. CST

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks for posting. Haven't seen anything on this.
    I don't have any of those particular models but I'll pass the word.

I suspect this is all the same manufacturer out of China. The fact that API is one of these, makes me think these are all coming out of the same place.

I would be dead as a doorknob if one of my cables failed on one of my climbs. What a crappy way to go, too!

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    I suspect this is all the same manufacturer out of China. The fact that API is one of these, makes me think these are all coming out of the same place.

I would be dead as a doorknob if one of my cables failed on one of my climbs. What a crappy way to go, too!

I believe the same. My favorite climber is an API. It's about 13-15 years old. Repainted a time or two and it's time to replace the chains soon (sure it would make another 2 or 3 seasons no problem though)

That said, I would not buy another API. Definitely not the same quality and this recall reaffirms my belief.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I believe the same. My favorite climber is an API. It's about 13-15 years old. Repainted a time or two and it's time to replace the chains soon (sure it would make another 2 or 3 seasons no problem though)

That said, I would not buy another API. Definitely not the same quality and this recall reaffirms my belief.

Production moved to China about 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

Do you not wear a safety harness ?

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Guys, if not yourself, do it for your family and wear your safety harness. I lost my best friend to a climber that failed. He was stationed at Ft. Leonardwood when he fell and broke his neck. The broken neck didn't kill him, it was hypothermia. Hell of a way to go. It only take a few minutes to strap in and be safe.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Do you not wear a safety harness ?

Like the vast majority of climbers, only after I get up the tree to where I am going to stop and sit. I personally don't know ANYONE who has their harness attached to the tree while they are actually climbing.

Should I? Sure!

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    80% of tree stand accidents occur climbing up or down.

A climber is the easiest stand to stay attached with. When you first stand up on it, choke your safety line to the tree high enough to be above you're first bite. Move the stand up, slide the rope up, move the stand up, slide the rope up. Continue all the way to the top. It's a very simple process.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Like the vast majority of climbers, only after I get up the tree to where I am going to stop and sit. I personally don't know ANYONE who has their harness attached to the tree while they are actually climbing.

Should I? Sure!

While we do not personally know each other, when I climb I use my harness all the way up and all the way down. On a ladder stand I do wait till I am on deck to strap in.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    80% of tree stand accidents occur climbing up or down.

A climber is the easiest stand to stay attached with. When you first stand up on it, choke your safety line to the tree high enough to be above you're first bite. Move the stand up, slide the rope up, move the stand up, slide the rope up. Continue all the way to the top. It's a very simple process.

Agreed it takes no more effort to complete this safety precaution. I personally know 3 hunters that fallen without a harness and all 3 suffered life changing injuries

Top Bottom