pistol powder still hard to find?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    haven't reloaded in a long time. midway does not have any. is it like .22lr, never gonna see it anytime i want some?

also, i have this old winchester 38-40 rifle. does that use pistol powder? what size primers?

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I wasn't able to locate Accurate 7 and 9 powder for almost 2 years; Pittsburgh, Houston, Pensacola, Memphis, Virginia. Finally found some this past June at a Houston gun show. A sign that things are possibly improving.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The 38-40 uses .40cal bullets and probably lead in an old Winchester rifle. It uses large pistol primers and lower pressure pistol powder. Depends on if it's a '73 or '92 Winchester as to the power levels you can load to and what kind of shape it is in. the '73 is the weaker action.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Check with (Site Sponsors) Advanced Weapon Systems & Security Concepts on Airline in Baton Rouge. I have been getting my power from them lately. Usually have a good selection and reasonable prices.

Advanced Weapon Systems
    13769 Airline Hwy
    Baton Rouge, LA 70706

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Three months ago, Cabela's only handgun powder was 700X. Lots of rifle powder, but just 700X was available. I bought one, Thinking now maybe I should have bought more. But I didn't want to be a hoader.
    Still have a gift card if/when they get more . Did they have anything besides 700X ????

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    The 38-40 uses .40cal bullets and probably lead in an old Winchester rifle. It uses large pistol primers and lower pressure pistol powder. Depends on if it's a '73 or '92 Winchester as to the power levels you can load to and what kind of shape it is in. the '73 is the weaker action.

i have some hercules bullseye powder from the 90s. is it the same as the alliant bullseye powder of today? i found this at their site but it only shows max load. i have the weaker 1873 model. link to load:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...=180&shellid=10&bulletid=13&bdid=32&oal=1.575

and i should use hard cast 180 gr. bullets like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/20...180-grain-lead-flat-nose?cm_vc=ProductFinding

any suggestions on a reloading guide? there are a bunch of them. i would like to go lowest powder load from a guide reloaders trust.

large pistol primers right?

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That Bullseye powder should be good to use as long as it's not clumpy or have a racid odor. Be careful using it for a very light loading in a large case. It's not easy to explain on here but you could run into a detanation problem with a very light charge in a large case. You would be better off finding a powder that takes up more room than Bullseye.

Beauxdog

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    Jim's had HS-6 and H110 today along with a lot of rifle powders.

I've still yet to see Varget anywhere save Thompson Creek a few months ago.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Louisiana Gun has HS-6 in 1# bottles and H-110 but only 8# containers. We've had Varget for the last month. You looking in the wrong place. We also have several Ramshot, Winchester & Accurate pistol powders.

Bryan

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    Louisiana Gun has HS-6 in 1# bottles and H-110 but only 8# containers. We've had Varget for the last month. You looking in the wrong place. We also have several Ramshot, Winchester & Accurate pistol powders.

Bryan

Can you PM me a price on the Varget please.

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    I've only been able to find 700-X this past year. So, I picked up 20 pounds while it was available. That was several months ago.......haven't seen it since.....

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Cabelas has been much better with the powder availability, but it still goes fast. They had HP38, H110, 4227 and other popular powders when I was there at different times but it's not always predictable what will be on the shelf.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    is louisiana gun at the gun show? how much is pistol powder going for? i just read about haz mat charges at online stores.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    SJ,

We don't go to the shows. Big waste of time for both of us. We have plenty of powder, primers and bullets at the store. You check our listing in the site sponsor section to see what we have.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun

Top Bottom