Recipe inquiries: Deer, Pig, Sac-a-lait

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    What are some of your favorite recipes or dishes for any of these.
    I just made one post instead of 3 separate. I just got a good bit from a friend. All of this is going to a younger person cooking these for the first time. I will just be assisting and offer advice if needed.

I have backstrap from both deer & wild pig, but backstrap is great as long as you don't ruin it. I like deer cooked in Mexican seasonings & styles or just substitute for beef in a stew. I never cooked wild pig, but have done store bought enough to have some ideas.

One thing planned to be tried with some of the venison is juniper berries.

I am wondering what you guy's like to do.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Venison backstrap butterflied and marinated in Dales.
    8f1208ad070851c82026fd56b9ca15e1.jpg

Cream cheese and diced candied jalapeños.
    77d934968b39ea77e8b54527faffc0cb.jpg

Wrapped in bacon.
    e73d459675d528aa7e8b8fc9d3b421eb.jpg

After a trip to the smoker
    dbc0ca2b02dd0866c3dfacd123587621.jpg

0152c2fd697d3e96b2cf22422436aa29.jpg

Or slice 3/4" thick tenderize with meat hammer and skillet fry with Louisiana seasoned chicken fry and serve with McCormicks White gravy mix with sausage and black pepper.

Could do wild boar as well I assume. Whatever you do with the boar I'd marinate it in OJ and pineapple juice 12 hour minimum.

Sac-a-lait
    Scale and clean then fry crispy in peanut oil and Louisiana Seasoned fish fry(Blue Bag).
    For bonus points make hush puppies with 2 packages of Martha White hush puppy mix and one jar of diced candied jalapeños.
    One tablespoon per puppy makes about 36

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dang good thing I am about to eat, cause that just made me hoongry!

Deer and jalapeno is a combo that just works well in my book.

Thanks for going through the trouble to post the pics and advice. It definitely makes me think some should be smoked and some not.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I like venison backstrap lightly seasoned and cooked over a HOT grill just like a ribeye.

Now for a deer roast here is a completely different idea. Season the outside with some Tony's, garlic powder, onion powder, and Savoie's browning sauce. Cook it on a grill as hot as you can possibly get it for 10min. for a charred sear. Let cool on the counter then combine in a crock pot with one can of french onion soup, 3 tablespoons of Savoie's instant roux (powder), 1/4 cup olive oil, and chopped clove of garlic. Add enough water to cover 90% of the roast and put on low for 12 hours. It will mash with a spoon. Serve over good po-boy bread with fresh tomatoes and lettuce. Do that with an Elk roast and I guarantee that you'll slap your Grandma!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I usually do my backstrap like a steak. When i harvest it, i season it that night, vacuum seal it, then stick it in the freezer until ready to eat.

My favorite lately is deer spaghetti. Same process as normal, but instead of ground beef, i use ground deer meat.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I cooked venison pot roast today. Recipe: slow cook in crock pot 8-10 hr. , adding 2 beef bullion cubes, garlic, onion, and Dale's Steak sauce. Save the liquid to cook your potatoes/carrots. Serve w. lima beans, using plenty of butter and mushrooms.

Top Bottom