What's the consequence of carrying in a private business' with a gun free zone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    What is the consequence of getting caught carrying in a private business that's posted "gun free zone" signs? My understanding is that , in Louisiana, you could only be charged with trespassing and only if you are asked to leave and don't comply. Has the law been changed?

PS I KNOW that concealed means concealed.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    misdemeanor trespassing otherwise known as remaining after forbidden.

when they say leave - you go. gun irrelevant from entire situation.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The "no guns sign" = "no shirt, no shoes, no service."

In and of itself, "violating the sign" is not an offense. The argument could be made that it is trespassing, but rarely is it ever enforced that way. However, if asked to leave ad you do not, THEN you are definitely trespassing by Remaining after Being forbidden.

https://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=78590

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    So in the case of the movie theater gun free zone, does this apply as well? I for the life of me can not believe there was not 1 person in Lafayette not carrying.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So in the case of the movie theater gun free zone, does this apply as well? I for the life of me can not believe there was not 1 person in Lafayette not carrying.

The theater is not a "gun free zone" legally speaking. Not like a federal building or school. Same rules apply as above, just corporate policy.

And it's not hard to believe. Figure 100 people in the theater, only a small percentage would have a license. A smaller percentage would be willing to sidestep theater policy and carry a gun there. And if after all that someone did still have a gun, an even smaller percentage would have the mentality and capability to use it effectively in a situation like that. I imagine it was over by the time most people realized what was happening, and unless you were sitting in the immediate area of the shooter, not sure how you would successfully identify him and make that shot in the dark with gunsmoke in the air and people screaming and running every direction.

Some things just can't be stopped.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    The theater is not a "gun free zone" legally speaking. Not like a federal building or school. Same rules apply as above, just corporate policy.

And it's not hard to believe. Figure 100 people in the theater, only a small percentage would have a license. A smaller percentage would be willing to sidestep theater policy and carry a gun there. And if after all that someone did still have a gun, an even smaller percentage would have the mentality and capability to use it effectively in a situation like that. I imagine it was over by the time most people realized what was happening, and unless you were sitting in the immediate area of the shooter, not sure how you would successfully identify him and make that shot in the dark with gunsmoke in the air and people screaming and running every direction.

Some things just can't be stopped.

Exactamondo.. I thought about how I would or could help if I was in the theater at that time.With people running and jumping up,how would you get
    a clear shot and not have to worry about hitting anyone else.At this point they need to have metal detectors in front ,same as detroit,,dallas,etc
    has done.Same as everyone has said,not much you can do once the shooter is inside.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Also, toss in willingness. How many of that very small percentage would be willing to defend other people? Some carry only to defend themselves, damn the masses and others would try to defend others.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    LE was there in less than a minute. When they come in to stop an active shooter you will probably not want to be standing there holding a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    They see you with a firearm and you are asked to leave. Off duty leo or not. I have not gone to this theater in a long time because of this issue first hand. I ended up going that night with the family and it just so happens this issue presented itself. When they first decided to post the sign they have lpso and lpd doing security there. Don't know when that changed as they had certainly not been present that night.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They see you with a firearm and you are asked to leave. Off duty leo or not. I have not gone to this theater in a long time because of this issue first hand. I ended up going that night with the family and it just so happens this issue presented itself. When they first decided to post the sign they have lpso and lpd doing security there. Don't know when that changed as they had certainly not been present that night.

According to the chief of police they were there that night. Hence the 1 minute response time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well according to me..who was there that night they were not.

Well that speaks volumes to there response then. A one minute response time is about as good as you will find. Are you sure you just didn't see them? Not saying you're wrong but I'm sure the PD knows if one is assigned there or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I thought the chief of police stated on the news that the shooter had scoped out several theaters and chose this one because of the fact it did not have security on Thursday nights. :dunno:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I read a new article that said 2 officers where in the parking lot doing paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That explains the lightning fast response time then. Those officers probably saved a score of lives being on the scene so quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom