Glock 43 or shield 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I thought about giving my wife the Shield and getting myself an XDS a while back, but I didn't see any reason to when I knew the Shield was perfectly reliable and accurate. Spend more for what, more aggressive styling? Also, I wasn't a fan of the grip. The 2.0 grips did grab my attention, though.

Northshoreboar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Madisonville
    I noticed Hickok45 commented a few times about the 43 being snappy and seemed to favor the shield a bit. I liked my shield before but I like the idea of lighter. Does the Shield's trigger get better as you shot it? It seemed a bit gritty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I noticed Hickok45 commented a few times about the 43 being snappy and seemed to favor the shield a bit. I liked my shield before but I like the idea of lighter. Does the Shield's trigger get better as you shot it? It seemed a bit gritty.

There is always the Apex Tactical trigger kit for it. I may get one for mine if I don't sell or trade it.

Northshoreboar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Madisonville
    Found a range with both guns today. I can say that shot noticeably better with the shield 9mm. The recoil seemed less as well. The groupings weren't terrible with the 43 (I used the mag with pinky extender) and the accuracy issues might be due to being better with 3 dots sights vs trying to line up the field goal sights on the Glock. Even though the Glock feels noticeably lighter I am planning on buying the Shield. $100 cheaper, more accurate (for me), and feels better in my hand. Thanks all for helping out

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I've never shot a shield. I do have a G43. Like any other Glock, it is reliable. After hundreds of rounds, I've yet to have one malfunction. It carries comfortable and with a +2 you get 9 rounds total in the gun. Great gun for when you need a smaller gun for whatever reason.

I never understood why have a +2 when you buy a gun for deep concealment then end up making it just as long in the handle as a 19. Which can hold a total of 16 rounds.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I never understood why have a +2 when you buy a gun for deep concealment then end up making it just as long in the handle as a 19. Which can hold a total of 16 rounds.

The gun itself is smaller and lighter and more easily concealed. If you need to keep the grip length down, a +2 may work for a second mag. Just like carrying a G19 or G26 with its original smaller mag with a G17 mag as a second mag. Sure, if you can carry a bigger gun then you should; but if not, this may be an option for some.
    As for the OP, good you got to shoot them both and pick what works for you.

Last edited:

Klein

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    New Orleans Louisiana
    One deciding factor for me that no one brings up is that the glock finish will resist rust much better than any other. If your in the heat all day and sweating, it's a pretty major issue with any standard blued finish. That helped me justify the additional $$.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    One deciding factor for me that no one brings up is that the glock finish will resist rust much better than any other. If your in the heat all day and sweating, it's a pretty major issue with any standard blued finish. That helped me justify the additional $$.

That is totally true for the older Glocks, but I have not put it to the test with the new ones that are allegedly the equivalent of Melonite. IIRC, Glock can not do the Tenifer process in the USA due to some BS EPA and OSHA regulations. I already had a S&W Melonite slide rust and pit on me.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Bought a Shield this weekend from you guys. Thanks for the heads up - wouldn't have known about this deal had you not sent this. Best deal around by far.

It's the girth, not the length that matters.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Anyone carry their G43 with the Tarran Tactical +2 baseplate? I am concerned about the reliability to feed with the stock spring and the extended baseplate.

I bought a 43 today and bought the Tarran Tactical baseplates as well. Hopefully I can go to the range tomorrow and put about some rounds through it. If I do, I will post my results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom