"Assault Rifle" shooting in NOLA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Now you see why this stuff matters? http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?144989-Did-The-Colonel-Really-Just-Say-That

Here is a FOIA response from the Army on the definition of "Assault Rifle".

In response to a FOIA request, U.S. Army experts at Picatinny Arsenal were kind enough to categorically state that semi-automatic rifles are not *assault rifles*. A copy of the response follows.

*It is hoped that Mr. Diggs appreciates the superior expertise of the Army in the field of firearms and will, accordingly, defer hereto and avoid misleading terminology in the future.*

Part of the memorandum received from the Army’s Trifiletti stated:SUBJECT: Freedom of Information Jay H. Greenblatt & Associates *Assault Rifle*.

1. This office researched the definition of the term *assault rifle* by identifying and locating official Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of Army (DA) publications on ordinance technical terminology, DOD/DA technical small arms publications or definitions of military terms.

2. The definition of an *assault rifle* is *Assault rifles* are short, compact, select-fire (i.e. both semi-automatic and full-automatic) weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between sub-machinegun and rifle cartridges. Selective fire is defined as a weapon, which at the user’s selection, can fire semi-automatic or full-automatic fire. Semi-automatic is defined as a weapon designed to fire each time the trigger is pulled. Full automatic is defined as a weapon which will fire continuously as long as the trigger is pulled.

3. The origin of the term *assault rifle* comes from the German word *sturmgewehr* after the Sturmgewehr 44 German Army rifle from the Second World War. The rifle was a compact, selective fire weapon in an intermediate caliber cartridge. Since 1944, military firearms that fit this general description and general design have sometimes been labeled as an *assault rifle. Some civilian versions of military look-alike rifle have been erroneously labeled as *assault rifles* because they generally fit the description, however, since the civilian rifles have been modified internally to eliminate the selective fire capability, they are not *assault rifles*.

The United States Army does not designate any of its infantry small arms with the term *assault rifle*.

That NOLA.Com headline is just another example of lazy misleading phony journalism! :puke:

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Well judging from the article we know the shooter wasn't white...

If I was a betting man, it was an illegal firearm, and was either over drugs or gangs.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

If I was a betting man, it was an illegal firearm, and was either over drugs or gangs.

You can't play the race card, given the article... and you should never play the race card. There are only facts.

The suspect was described as having long dreadlocks and was last seen wearing a white tank top and khaki-colored shorts or pants.

The suspect has dreadlocks and wore a wife beater and khaki material that covered his legs (apparently no witness knows the difference between shorts and pants).

More than likely it was gang related, especially considering no one is giving any names out.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

How do you know that? Other than knowing the area in N.O., there is nothing to suggest any race of anyone. Which in itself is self serving and reckless. And don't say the "dreadlocks" statement! That is not specific only to blacks!
    iu

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    BTW: This was allegedly reported by the NOPD this way:

New Orleans police said a man with an assault rifle opened fire on a group of people at Samson Park at the corner of Piety and Treasure streets around 6:20 p.m. Sunday (July 26, 2015), leaving at least one man critically wounded.

If they (NOPD), actually took the time to know the differences between rifles and assault rifles, one could assume that this particular gun was on "Full Auto". Because you damn sure can't get that info from the lazy reporting. But sadly, I don't have a lot of faith in that either.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    BTW: This was allegedly reported by the NOPD this way:

If they (NOPD), actually took the time to know the differences between rifles and assault rifles, one could assume that this particular gun was on "Full Auto". Because you damn sure can't get that info from the lazy reporting. But sadly, I don't have a lot of faith in that either.

NOLA.com is notorious for Clickbaiting, as well as most media outlets. The problem with NOLA.com is they are strictly an online media outlet. Given the article's lackluster evidence on anything other than a shooting at a park, once could assume the "assault rifle" was any type of firearm. It very well could have been a pistol, but assault rifle works great for Clickbaiting.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    NOLA.com is notorious for Clickbaiting, as well as most media outlets. The problem with NOLA.com is they are strictly an online media outlet. Given the article's lackluster evidence on anything other than a shooting at a park, once could assume the "assault rifle" was any type of firearm. It very well could have been a pistol, but assault rifle works great for Clickbaiting.

Then they should stop advertising themselves as a source for credible hard news. This is tabloid ******** journalism.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just to play devil's advocate, you can make a (likely bad) guess on the fact that the article omitted race.

This is actually a good point! Which makes it even more disturbing! Now we have to read and decipher the news as told in politically correct code! God, I despise these phonies!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Then they should stop advertising themselves as a source for credible hard news. This is tabloid ******** journalism.

Good luck telling them that. They are as bad as the goofball(s) running the WWLTV Facebook page. The response I received was: "We just relay what we've heard."

Yea... right... :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Good luck telling them that. They are as bad as the goofball(s) running the WWLTV Facebook page. The response I received was: "We just relay what we've heard."

Yea... right... :rolleyes:

You know why "true-at-heart" education advocates keep telling everyone how important educating our children is? Because of the thousands that only have just enough intelligence to click on that link, or the article, and read that and say; "Yep! Assault Rifles should be banned!" or "This is terrible, now children are being shot at playgrounds with machine guns!" or "Man, I gots to get me one a does AR's!"

A truly educated populace would spurn these ideologically biased propaganda dens. As long as we crank out dummies, this crap will continue. :(

And of course because we are dumbing down to the lowest common denominator with Pavlovian expertise, don't forget to vote democrat; DUMMY!

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    They had an "assault rifle" shooting in BR last weekend. 2 DOA 2 hospitalized. 7.62x39mm casings recovered at the scene.

What else is new.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You know why "true-at-heart" education advocates keep telling everyone how important educating our children is? Because of the thousands that only have just enough intelligence to click on that link, or the article, and read that and say; "Yep! Assault Rifles should be banned!" or "This is terrible, now children are being shot at playgrounds with machine guns!" or "Man, I gots to get me one a does AR's!"

A truly educated populace would spurn these ideologically biased propaganda dens. As long as we crank out dummies, this crap will continue. :(

And of course because we are dumbing down to the lowest common denominator with Pavlovian expertise, don't forget to vote democrat; DUMMY!

I agree.

It's one of the main reasons I stay on Facebook. Even some of the most upscale regions of Louisiana are full of morons.

Off-Topic, but:

I sent two ladies a private message, about internet security, when they decided to publicly trade information on a "buy/sell/trade furniture" page. They did a very good job at letting everyone know what vehicle they drive, where they are meeting, when they are meeting, that they have to drop off their kids at ____ before hand, and that they have to run to the ATM on the way. It was fantastic to witness such stupidity.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree.

It's one of the main reasons I stay on Facebook. Even some of the most upscale regions of Louisiana are full of morons.

Off-Topic, but:

I sent two ladies a private message, about internet security, when they decided to publicly trade information on a "buy/sell/trade furniture" page. They did a very good job at letting everyone know what vehicle they drive, where they are meeting, when they are meeting, that they have to drop off their kids at ____ before hand, and that they have to run to the ATM on the way. It was fantastic to witness such stupidity.

Being technologically naïve and being mentally stupid are on very opposite sides of the spectrum. Try to imagine how it would be just to be illiterate alone. Then add to that, influences from other illiterates, and morons about living day to day in the world. That is some scary s**t there!

Look what it has wrought on the rest of us! An illiterate person, that is also stupid, who is easily led by any one that holds up a shiny object or talks a good game, and then is told to go along with them for their own betterment. Hence, democrats promising free ****; and dummies lining up to take it via the voting process.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Being technologically naïve and being mentally stupid are on very opposite sides of the spectrum. Try to imagine how it would be just to be illiterate alone. Then add to that, influences from other illiterates, and morons about living day to day in the world. That is some scary s**t there!

tumblr_m78nk3UbaX1qmmdsqo1_500.jpg

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    You can't play the race card, given the article... and you should never play the race card. There are only facts.

The suspect has dreadlocks and wore a wife beater and khaki material that covered his legs (apparently no witness knows the difference between shorts and pants).

More than likely it was gang related, especially considering no one is giving any names out.

How do you know that? Other than knowing the area in N.O., there is nothing to suggest any race of anyone. Which in itself is self serving and reckless. And don't say the "dreadlocks" statement! That is not specific only to blacks!
    iu

Just to play devil's advocate, you can make a (likely bad) guess on the fact that the article omitted race.

^ This.

I'm not playing the race card. Just playing the media game.

If the shooter was white (especially white male), that would've been one of the first things reported.

Take a look at this article;

http://www.wbrz.com/news/three-shot-outside-baton-rouge-club

Not one mention of race. If you are in any way familiar with this area, they didn't have to.

This is 10 minutes down the street from my house

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ^ This.

I'm not playing the race card. Just playing the media game.

If the shooter was white (especially white male), that would've been one of the first things reported.

Take a look at this article;

http://www.wbrz.com/news/three-shot-outside-baton-rouge-club

Not one mention of race. If you are in any way familiar with this area, they didn't have to.

This is 10 minutes down the street from my house

This^ example is null and void if you were watching the 2une In this morning. They provided more than enough evidence to suggest the race in this video: http://www.wbrz.com/videos/three-shot-outside-baton-rouge-club

I watched this and shook my head! Not at the crime of assault with a deadly weapon, but the crime that these two witnesses were raised in the US and taught that it is acceptable to speak alien dialect. :eek3:

I ask; what chance do these two have of getting a high paying job at say IBM or Shaw Group or a job at either that would involve anything but cleaning or answering a phone? You want to know what "True" honest liberalism is? Yearning for a day that people like these two didn't speak or act like these two do. :(

Top Bottom