QD Mount?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I recently purchased a Bushnell Elite ET1624F
    http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-24mm-illuminated-btr-1
    and I'm thinking about getting a high quality QD mount so I can move it between two AR uppers. Now this goes against everything I've been taught growing up with scoped rifles, get it dialed in and DONT TOUCH IT!
    Is this the intended purpose of these mounts to be removed and replaced at will while still maintaining a zero? Or does it simply make it easier to rip off your optic if the necessity presents itself.
    Any experiences? The good the bad the ugly?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    As far as a complete return to zero I don't trust any of them.

For high quality mounts ADM, Bobro, or Larue are always solid.

I picked up one of the second focal plane versions of that scope. I think I'm going to try one of the Warne mounts because I don't need to take it off and I'm cheap.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Another wrench in that plan would be sighting in for the second upper would be different than the first so I guess it's a no go.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I recently purchased a Bushnell Elite ET1624F
    http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-24mm-illuminated-btr-1
    and I'm thinking about getting a high quality QD mount so I can move it between two AR uppers. Now this goes against everything I've been taught growing up with scoped rifles, get it dialed in and DONT TOUCH IT!
    Is this the intended purpose of these mounts to be removed and replaced at will while still maintaining a zero? Or does it simply make it easier to rip off your optic if the necessity presents itself.
    Any experiences? The good the bad the ugly?

I have had good luck with a variety of picatinny rails and mounts as well as .22LR standard 3/8 rails. That is scope on and off of the same rifle. I don't use vertically split rings if that makes a difference. I also like rings that are solid on one side and clamp on the other.

2 AR's should be very close.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    In my experience "very close" is the best you should expect, even with quality QD. I figure it is just a time saver to not have to start from scratch on another rifle. Gotta tweak a couple test shots anyway. None of my AR's are completely identical so small differences in trigger, stock, etc. I am sure that leads to positional changes that affect my shooting in general way more than what the mount can do.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Like you mentioned the real purpose of QD on a scope is to remove it hastily if necessary. As far as moving it between rifles, you'll have to rezero each time so you really don't accomplish anything other than saving the 30 seconds it takes to tighten a few screws. The best mounts will be pretty damn good for returning to zero on the same rifle. Always mount in the same slots and always push the optic forward when tightening (there's a tiny bit of play in the slots) and chances are you'll be back on target. But again, I can't think of any time that functionality is really necessary, although I guess it's nice to have. Personally I like the Aero Precision lightweight non-QD mounts for a scoped AR.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I wish you were closer to Hammond, we've got just about every mount imagineable on hand to play with at Interstate Guns/Sport Optics. And I mean I wouldn't have complained if you brought some freshly farmed goodies either. ;)

If you need any more advice or help deciding, give us a call tomorrow and we can answer any questions you may have.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Finding two different rifles that have the exact same sight setting with the same scope is going to be the fly in this ointment.

A whole lot easier to get two scopes, each with QD mounts. They usually go back on the same rifle very close to zero if you handle them carefully after removing and remounting.

QD mounts are not new Weaver started making them in 1950 with their split ring, tip-off mounts, made so they could be removed, for using iron sights and if the need arose the scope could be easily remounted without having to sight it in all over again. Weaver's scope base rail.....looks a whole lot like the Picatinny rail seen on most black rifles....did they get the idea from Weaver ? Could be.
    Gary

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Finding two different rifles that have the exact same sight setting with the same scope is going to be the fly in this ointment.

A whole lot easier to get two scopes, each with QD mounts. They usually go back on the same rifle very close to zero if you handle them carefully after removing and remounting.

QD mounts are not new Weaver started making them in 1950 with their split ring, tip-off mounts, made so they could be removed, for using iron sights and if the need arose the scope could be easily remounted without having to sight it in all over again. Weaver's scope base rail.....looks a whole lot like the Picatinny rail seen on most black rifles....did they get the idea from Weaver ? Could be.
    Gary

IIRC Picatinny has a spec on slot spacing and Weaver does not. Of course everything on the Pic rail has a dimensional spec maybe including hole spacing. Again going by memory. ETA: looked it up and slot width is .206 on a Pic rail vs .180 on the Weaver.

Windage usually holds pretty well but elevation and height over bore does not when I have attempted changing to a different rifle. Most of the time ring height killed it.

I would bet 2 AR's or any 2 identical rifles would be 'right there'.

Last edited:

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    I like American defense qd mounts . got one with acog and another with leupold mod 1 ar 1 x4 scope . take them on and off for cleaning . put em back on and good to go . they look good and price is good . you can get them in one or two throw levers . I some times swap them on my ars . not precision but good enough for minute of man .

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Well, an update for me anyway. I picked up a Badger Unimount of the prize table of a match. I didnt need quick detach, Ill let you know how it holds up.

Crews

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Youngsville
    I have found that LaRue and Bobro mounts have repeatable return to zero. Moving them to a different rifle is a different story, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom