im looking to put some buckshot on target at 50 yards. extra full choke?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Try different choke constrictions. Sometimes a more open choke will pattern better than a more restrictive choke in your particular gun. Most shotguns won't pattern buckshot all that great much past 40 yards or even at 40 yards.
    If you want some really good patterns at 50 yards and even beyond try the Triball loads made by Dixieslugs.com .
    They have 3 .60 caliber hardened round balls that weigh 315gr each and will pattern into 7-8" at 40 yards.

TDuhe87

PADUE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have a Remington 11-87 that I shoot buckshot with. It is good for at least 60 yards with just the factory full choke. I shoot the Remington super mags 3 1/2 inch 00 buck. Got some serious kick to it but will damn near put all of em in a pie plate at 60 yards. I'm very impressed with the way it patterns with the factory full choke. Now I have tried other brands of buckshot and different sizes with the different chokes, and the majority of them didn't pattern good at all. Have you tried using different combinations?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    My old Winchester 1200 with factory extra full choke with 3" 00 buck took my first buck at over 65 yards.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Last class we shot several buckshot loads to check patterns. Federal Flight Control was heads and shoulders above the rest.
    The Military Grade( don't remember the mfg) OD green shells that are in the cardboard box about 5 shells for $5 were surprisingly good.
    Winchester SuperX were decent.
    Cheap Fiocchi and Rio were pretty open and irregular.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I would pattern the gun in the stock setup first. Find the shell you want to shoot. Stay with those shells
    Hang paper or board target at 30 yards. Mark a point of aim on it. Hold at that spot and fire.
    Circle your hit spots. Repeat the test 3 times to check for consistency. If satisfied with number of pellets in the largest group move the test out to 40 yards and repeat.
    I only change chokes if my pellets aren't consistently grouping and I use poly chokes.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I have found that chokes work in reverse with buckshot. The tighter they are, the more they disburse the pellets. The best patterns I have fired have been from a 18" barrel with a cylinder bore.

lndsrvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2015
    Lafayette, LA
    I have an 870 18" barrel with cylinder bore too. Never knew that about the full choke. I'll have to pattern mine with buckshot and see how it does. Thanks for the info.

I have found that chokes work in reverse with buckshot. The tighter they are, the more they disburse the pellets. The best patterns I have fired have been from a 18" barrel with a cylinder bore.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Try different choke constrictions. Sometimes a more open choke will pattern better than a more restrictive choke in your particular gun. Most shotguns won't pattern buckshot all that great much past 40 yards or even at 40 yards.
    If you want some really good patterns at 50 yards and even beyond try the Triball loads made by Dixieslugs.com .
    They have 3 .60 caliber hardened round balls that weigh 315gr each and will pattern into 7-8" at 40 yards.

+1
    I used an extra full choke before and it put lead on target, just not my target. On a whim I tried the IC and I started having decent patterns.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    To answer your question it depends on what u are shooting. The xtra full chokes are good with any lead shot. NOT Steel. I shoot a Ultra-Mag 24"barrel x-tra full turkey choke with 3 1/2" #4buck custom loaded cartridges and it is devastating out past 80 yards on deer or coyotes.

Top Bottom