Reputable Dog Breeders in southeast LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I got a house with a nice fenced yard and feel like I need a dog in my life. Anyone have a suggestion for a good loyal breed and a good breeder in the NOLA area?

Looking for a dog that isn't high maintenance/high energy that I can train that will listen. I work 8 hours a day so he'll be alone in the house in a crate or in the bathroom to minimize damage. A dog that will alert me if someone's on my property that don't belong there especially when I'm asleep. And of course a dog that will be my best friend as any good dog should :D

Don't want a small dog. Prefer something 50-75 pounds. Not so sure about a mutt either they are too unpredictable.

Right now I'm thinking a female German Shepherd but those do get a bit bigger than I'd like. Someone recommended a border collie / german shepherd mix but no breeders for that kind of dog around here.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    http://www.mmqualityshepherds.com/

I have a female from them who is 6 years old. Great dog, she weighs around 85 lbs. I think a female shepherd will meet all your requirements. Honestly, there are German shepherds, then there are all other dogs.

Once a German shepherd is no longer a puppy, there is no need for a crate or locking it in the bathroom. I just walk out the door and say watch the house, and she lays down and naps till I get back.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    German shepherds are great dogs, female or male that is neutered would suffice. Keep in mind two things when dealing with GSD (german shepherd dogs) 1) some home insurance companies consider them high risk dogs 2) they do have specific health problems that mutts do not have. (This is true for about all pure bred dogs, so each breed has disposition which have certain variable risks). Feel free to PM me with any questions about german shepherds, I do not know specific breeders but I can provide you with information on health and breed dispositions of many specific breeds.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    German shepherds are great dogs, female or male that is neutered would suffice. Keep in mind two things when dealing with GSD (german shepherd dogs) 1) some home insurance companies consider them high risk dogs 2) they do have specific health problems that mutts do not have. (This is true for about all pure bred dogs, so each breed has disposition which have certain variable risks). Feel free to PM me with any questions about german shepherds, I do not know specific breeders but I can provide you with information on health and breed dispositions of many specific breeds.

Don't forget about the shedding!

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Easy to train, smart, low maintenance and low energy are somewhat mutually exclusive. Bear in mind that I am speaking in generalities here. Smart dogs (those that are easy to train) often have high energy and need a steady outlet for their intellect. Smart dogs that don't get quality interaction will often develop bad habits. A dog is a family member and in some ways needs more attention than a child. You must let them burn their energy. Spend some time reading as much as you can about which breed is for you. Tons of info via Google. German Shepherds are insanely smart. They are a working breed and simply MUST have a job. Perhaps more so than any other breed. When they don't get the attention they need, they develop bad or nervous habits (as do many smart breeds.)

I have a year and a half old black lab that is all the things you are looking for. I am sitting outside as I type this, because she needs to be outside at times. She gets antsy if she spends too much time inside. She alerts us to strangers, as did my last one, but she wouldn't bite or attack anyone. Labs are some of the easiest dogs in the world to train. I have run out of things to teach my dog. She understands so much of the human language that it's baffling. I can say Shadow, go check the mail and she'll run out to the edge of the road and put her paws on the mailbox. I can tell her to go get her duck or football and she knows the difference. I can say "wanna play Pit Bull" and she goes ballistic. As I sit here on my front porch she is out in the front yard. She knows the boundaries of our lot and will not stray. She sits, lays down, shows me her belly, rolls over, heels, speaks, puts her paws on my chest, on verbal command or on hand command. I can be at the dog park and tell her to go get in the water and she'll go get in. She fetches too. She'll dive underwater to retrieve. She's my best little bud.

Your life WILL forever change when you get a dog. It's a serious long term commitment and it is expensive. Want to go on vacation? It's not so easy anymore. Owning a dog is a huge responsibility and a lot of work and it is worth it. Enough of that lecture. Go to a dog park and visit with the dogs there. If you are in the Metairie area I'll be happy to introduce you to Shadow. You'll be amazed. If you decide on a lab, I'd advise against one form serious hunting lineage. They are much more likely to be seriously high energy. Zero in on a few breeds then start looking for breeders.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have always owned a dog and I would never own one that had to be kept in a crate 10 hours a day. My first two dogs as an adult were German Shepards, third was an Akita and the last two have been Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I will never have another long haired dog in the house after owning two short haired dogs. Do your homework before getting a dog.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Why don't you look at a rescue or adopting?
    +1
    Unless you absolutely have to have a specific pedigree, take a long look at the shelters. I've known several people to come home with dogs different from what they intended and had great dogs.
    Case in point, I know someone who wanted a Aussie Shepard, went to the pound and brought home a Catahoula (had never heard of the breed), liked him so much he went and got his brother and sister.

tirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    baton rouge
    a belgian malinois is a smaller, short haired version of a gs. But either require a lot of exercise and mental activity or they get bored and their exceptional talents and intelligence are wasted.

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    I just went to the grand opening this past weekend for the LSPCA shelter/clinic in Algiers. It was tempting to bring home another dog. There were several that really caught my attention. One was a 4 year old yellow lab at 85 lbs. She was beautiful and probably is already trained.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    I just went to the grand opening this past weekend for the LSPCA shelter/clinic in Algiers. It was tempting to bring home another dog. There were several that really caught my attention. One was a 4 year old yellow lab at 85 lbs. She was beautiful and probably is already trained.

Hey trout, I didn't know you ever strayed from THT.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Easy to train, smart, low maintenance and low energy are somewhat mutually exclusive. Bear in mind that I am speaking in generalities here. Smart dogs (those that are easy to train) often have high energy and need a steady outlet for their intellect. Smart dogs that don't get quality interaction will often develop bad habits. A dog is a family member and in some ways needs more attention than a child. You must let them burn their energy. Spend some time reading as much as you can about which breed is for you. Tons of info via Google. German Shepherds are insanely smart. They are a working breed and simply MUST have a job. Perhaps more so than any other breed. When they don't get the attention they need, they develop bad or nervous habits (as do many smart breeds.)

I have a year and a half old black lab that is all the things you are looking for. I am sitting outside as I type this, because she needs to be outside at times. She gets antsy if she spends too much time inside. She alerts us to strangers, as did my last one, but she wouldn't bite or attack anyone. Labs are some of the easiest dogs in the world to train. I have run out of things to teach my dog. She understands so much of the human language that it's baffling. I can say Shadow, go check the mail and she'll run out to the edge of the road and put her paws on the mailbox. I can tell her to go get her duck or football and she knows the difference. I can say "wanna play Pit Bull" and she goes ballistic. As I sit here on my front porch she is out in the front yard. She knows the boundaries of our lot and will not stray. She sits, lays down, shows me her belly, rolls over, heels, speaks, puts her paws on my chest, on verbal command or on hand command. I can be at the dog park and tell her to go get in the water and she'll go get in. She fetches too. She'll dive underwater to retrieve. She's my best little bud.

Your life WILL forever change when you get a dog. It's a serious long term commitment and it is expensive. Want to go on vacation? It's not so easy anymore. Owning a dog is a huge responsibility and a lot of work and it is worth it. Enough of that lecture. Go to a dog park and visit with the dogs there. If you are in the Metairie area I'll be happy to introduce you to Shadow. You'll be amazed. If you decide on a lab, I'd advise against one form serious hunting lineage. They are much more likely to be seriously high energy. Zero in on a few breeds then start looking for breeders.

+1 on the labs. We have a small black lab and a pup yellow lab. We have owned many labs over the years. Some labs we have had have been stupid and terrible, but the black lab we have now is amazing, never chewed up anything, only peed inside once or twice as a pup and has the drive to fetch like no other dog I've seen. I would say if you can spend some time with the breeders dogs or have good word on how they act that would be best. Also if you can get one as a pup spend as much time with them as possible, even letting them sleep with you so they adopt you as there parent. I'm no expert just my experience.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks guys for the replies. I don't want a mutt. Been there done that. Sure it feels good rescuing a dog from certain death but the two mutts I had in my late teens were both unpredictable and unstable. I want a purebred puppy that will bond with me and be mostly predictable on behavior based on its breed.

I was looking through German Shepherd breeders in the area and unfortunately there aren't many in the area with puppies available. I checked that link for mmqualityshepherds and they only have two puppies that are already reserved. I guess I'll keep googling and searching.

I did run into this gem of a human being though :rofl:

V3zi4Xk.jpg

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Dog breeders can be some of the most stuck up POS you will ever have to deal with. Some are genuinely good, caring people, but lots are know-it-all douche bags.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    M&M quality shepherds, if I recall, don't usually have litters in the summer, as it is to hot for the female to be pregnant and comfortable. I had to wait 8 months for mine, as the first try did not take. My dogs litter was born in February when the saints won the superbowl, so the litter was called the who dat babies. They also don't like to have a female that is continuously pregnant, as that is also not good for the dog. I would not say these guys are stuck up, but they do genuinely care for their dogs, as breeders should.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Dog breeders can be some of the most stuck up POS you will ever have to deal with. Some are genuinely good, caring people, but lots are know-it-all douche bags.

Dude is now saying he's a Baton Rouge Police Officer and pulled all my information up on his police computer and is going to come harass me :rofl: Isn't that kind of illegal? To fake being a police officer? Or is it more illegal to be a police officer and using your power to threaten others?

xpOUVLo.jpg

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Check out the impressive website of this Belgian Malinois Breeder in Walker.

Top Gun K9.

Phone:

(225) 791-0563 home

(225) 413-5461 Laurie's cell

(225) 413-5463 Tim's cell

Email: Topgunk9@cox.net

DynoLa

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Shreveport
    When looking into a breeder to purchase from, check to see if you can come see where the animals are kept. Can you see the parents of the pups. Most disreputable breeders want to meet you somewhere away from their place so you can't see the poor conditions. You can also ask them for their vet references. They should have an ongoing relationship with a local vet.

Their are rescues which are breed specific. They pull from shelters around the country. The local shelters have pure breed dogs in them too. You'd be surprised what people will dump at the shelter when a dog becomes inconvenient. Shelters don't just have mutts. (which can sometimes be the best dogs you will ever own).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom