CHP question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    CHP question. A buddy called me today with a question about his CHP. He shot a revolver during his class and his friend told him that in his class his instructor told him he could only carry the gun he qualified with.

I couldn't give him a 100% answer but said I'll ask.

The good ole days they didn't ask on the application.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Unless something has changed in the last 9 months, you can qualify with any legal handgun then carry any legal handgun...the qualification gun and carry gun don't have to be the same

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think this might be what he was talking about.

. Have you completed training as prescribed in LRS 40:1379.3(D)(1) and LAC 55:I.1311.A? (Attach Proof)
    You MUST indicate the type of Handgun you received training with: Pistol Revolver Both

He shot a revolver during the class and might want to get a Glock now. I think that's what he means with his question.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    On the paperwork that you fill out at the cc class there is a box to check off for completion of training or competence with a revolver and one for semi auto. Then one for both, you are supposed to mark both

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So why is this question on the app? Did they change something lately? It would make no sense to have it on the app if it didn't have any meaning. I shot both.

It's always been on the application and that's why the rumor has been spread.

It does not matter what you use during the course.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'm just going to assume your friend lives here in La. if so see post 2. I have friends out of state that tell me if they take the class with a revolver that is all they can carry, if they take the class with a semi-auto they can carry either. And still some can only carry with THE (serial number submitted with application) handgun they took the class with.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    He can carry any handgun he wishes.

- - - Updated - - -

So why is this question on the app? Did they change something lately? It would make no sense to have it on the app if it didn't have any meaning. I shot both.

Because the statute requires training in both and it is also a data metric that sthe state collects (for no apparent reason.)

Top Bottom