Squirrel Hunting BR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Moved out to Denham Springs a while ago and have not had the opportunity to hunt since moving. I am ready now and looking to start of with some good ol squirrel hunting. I have always hunted the back side of honey island when I lived in Slidell and didn't do bad. Looking for a place around the area here to slay some squirrels and was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions. im in Denham and don't mind driving a bit for a decent place. Any help would be appreciated. If some one has some land with squirrels and or pigs I'd be interested in that's as well. Just looking to get re-established.

I have been to sherburne to shoot but not hunting and info for there would be helpful.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since the closest WMA from where you are is Maurepas, you can either road trip it, or (what I would do), cruise around my own neighborhood/town/parish, and look for some large tracts of forest land that looks squirrely! I would then look for houses adjacent to that tract and go see if they own the tract, and if they do ask if I could hunt it. You need "expressed" written permission in Louisiana on private land. Can't find any houses? Look up the tax roles for the person that pays the taxes.

Now, since a total stranger on someone's property is a huge liability for the property owner (and you could be a dick (I don't know :dunno:)), you will probably hear more "no" then "yes", but take this Emperor original motivational quote to heart:

"A coin can land heads or tails, but only if tossed!"

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I was able to get permission from the landowner in St. Francisville for squirrel hunting. So that's awesome.

My next question how is the squirrel hunting at Sherburne WMA? Does anyone have any advice or locations that I should try without giving up your personal spot

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I was able to get permission from the landowner in St. Francisville for squirrel hunting. So that's awesome.

My next question how is the squirrel hunting at Sherburne WMA? Does anyone have any advice or locations that I should try without giving up your personal spot

Why would you want to contend with others on a public WMA when you hit the jackpot in SF?

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Mainly because I can't hunt it during the first 2-3 weeks of bow season there. Also if I wanted to hunt with some friends the landowner was not ok with more than 2 people. Gotta respect their wishes.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For squirrels, do what my crazy brother used to do some years ago when he lived in BR. Seems that preacher on Blue Bonnet owns or owned undeveloped land in that area. Brother said there was more squirrels there than any place he knew. Claimed he would go in with a .22 shooting shorts, when he got a mess or saw security start cruising around he'd just slide on back to the house which wasn't far away. That was his story and he stuck to it. GW

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Ive only hunted Sherburne a handful of times but it sucked everytime.

Ive been trying to find a decent place to squirrel hunt since I lived here (8yrs) and it's nearly impossible to find private land to hunt on.

I had a buddy who had some family land in gonzales but he moved away after college and I cant hunt there anymore.

Id be interested to see what you come up with.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I took up hog hunting 2 years ago and am hooked. Passed up many squirrels last season in Peal River WMA because I didn't want to scare the hogs away by shooting at squirrels. My small caliber suppressor came in recently so I'm ready to hog and squirrel hunt with suppressed .22lr subsonic HP rounds when adult season opens this coming weekend. Can't wait to try this weapon in the field!

My question to you guys regards when to harvest squirrels. I've heard you don't want to harvest quirrels before the first frost due to mites, worms and the meat just tastes bad. Supposedly the first frost negates these. Is this true?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Most of the time when you hear that about squirrel it's because of what the old folks call "wolves" which are really bot flies. I usually wait until colder weather when their fur comes in a little because they just look gross. Supposedly doesn't hurt you, but there is something just not right to me cleaning bumpy squirrels. See this link http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2012/10/30/squirrel-bot-flies-fact-versus-fiction/

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You don't have to clean bumpy squirrels. When the squirrel dies about and hour later when the wolves realize the host has died they crawl out all over the bed of your truck.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Most of the time when you hear that about squirrel it's because of what the old folks call "wolves" which are really bot flies. I usually wait until colder weather when their fur comes in a little because they just look gross. Supposedly doesn't hurt you, but there is something just not right to me cleaning bumpy squirrels. See this link http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2012/10/30/squirrel-bot-flies-fact-versus-fiction/

The term is "wooves" not "wolves".

I suppose it really doesn't matter since technically that term is erroneous for the condition anyway. It is in fact bot fly larvae, and it is disgusting. And whether it's clinically harmful or not, any animal that has visible scaring, sores, or holes in their flesh is not going in my mouth. Parasites are parasites! I don't knowingly eat ANY parasites!

The squirrels in the Pearl River were (it was decades ago), notorious for the condition. And yes, it is usually cleared up by November and cooler weather.

Top Bottom