Pistol Ramblings: Your Most Accurate Pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Last weekend I was doing some practicing with some pistols. Unlike my usual routine of just shooting one and practicing with it alone, I just decided to shoot with an assortment and see which one I did best with. Seems like I hadn't done the comparison before, or not that I could remember in recent times. I was firing 5 round groups at 15 yards, just cause that would probably be an average engagement distance. The targets were 50 ft timed/rapid fire pistol targets with a 3" bull.

First I started with a Ruger MK III .22 with the 5" bull barrel. It was consistently stacking holes one on top of another, actually got to be boring after a while, but good to confirm it's capabilities. I think that the new Volquartsen trigger with overtravel and take-up adjustments helped considerably.

Then I played with a Beretta 92F 9mm, only got about 3 1/4" groups over several targets but a little low and right. Seems like I had done better in the past with this pistol, as I've had it for 20+ years and it's been my go-to large pistol.

View attachment 58813 DSC_0301.jpg

Then I tried my Metro Arms 1911 .45 and got similar results, still about the same size group and a little low and right. Didn't even take a photo because it was so close to the same as the Beretta.

Next I tried out a Sig p226 Navy in 9mm that I had gotten on a trade. Hadn't really been looking for a Sig but that's what was offered and I made the deal. This is where it got interesting - a 1 1/4 group with two in the X-ring, two in the 10-ring, and one touching the 10-ring line.

View attachment 58814 DSC_0285.jpg

Given a choice of the Beretta, 1911, and Sig, I think I've found my new favorite for a larger size carry pistol.

Has anyone else found an extremely accurate pistol that you'd like to comment on?

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Two most accurate I have owned.
    Beretta Neos .22lr
    Kimber in .45

Walther PPK/S was pretty accurate for what it was.

I don't think I have ever heard of a person not liking a SIG pistol.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Here are the guns that I've owned and shot and my ratings for accuracy:

1. Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm
    2. Sig Sauer P229 in 9mm
    3. H&K P2000sk in 9mm
    4. H&K P30 in 9mm
    5. Ruger SR9c
    6. Springfield XD, Springfield XDS, XDM, Glock 19, Glock 26

I have to say that I love the weight of the Sig P226 and P229, and I think that's what makes the Sigs so accurate. Because the Sig P226 and P229 are heavier than most comparable 9mm handguns, you literally have almost zero felt re-coil. They're the most accurate handguns I've ever owned.

The H&K P30 and P2000sk are polymer framed guns, but because of H&K's engineering, very little felt-recoil as well, and man are they accurate for polymer framed guns.

The Ruger SR9c is probably one of the best sub $400 9mm subcompacts. The trigger is super crisp which I think makes the gun so accurate. I think this is one of the most under-rated guns out there, best bang for the buck subcompact, in my opinion.

The Springfield XDs and Glocks are great guns, but to me they have a little bit more felt-recoil than the H&Ks, so my accuracy goes down on these guns.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    hkump,
    I know you like HK pistols and they are great guns but the P30 and VP9 pistols have more felt recoil "in my hands" than a Gen 4 G17 when using the same ammunition.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    For me its:

1 Ruger MK II Govt. Target model with bull barrel .22
    2 Ruger Security Six .357 (Revolver)
    3 CZ SP-01 Tactical in 9mm
    4 Armalite AR-24 in 9mm
    5 Springfield Armory 1911 GI .45

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm going to be that guy and say that nearly every handgun will be more accurate than me (with one exception). It's what you shoot best that counts. That being said, I'll play along and say that my most accurate pistol is a Glock. However, what I think the most accurate pistol that I have ever shot was a HK USP Tactical. I loved it, but my buddy wouldn't sell it at the time and he actually traded it off :hs:

For those interested about the one exception, it was a Rohm RG23 .22lr Revolver. I placed a B size target at 5' and it didn't hit paper :eek3:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Dave, I have one of those Rohm .22s also. My grandfather gave it to my Mom back in the late 50s for protection when she moved from Tucson to NOLA as a nurse. She never shot it and gave it to me about 6 years ago. What a POS it is....I'm not even considering shooting it its such a pile of wasted metal. The plastic grips have warped over the years--all while inside of a house. Junk. Not surprised about its shooting inability!!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave, I have one of those Rohm .22s also. My grandfather gave it to my Mom back in the late 50s for protection when she moved from Tucson to NOLA as a nurse. She never shot it and gave it to me about 6 years ago. What a POS it is....I'm not even considering shooting it its such a pile of wasted metal. The plastic grips have warped over the years--all while inside of a house. Junk. Not surprised about its shooting inability!!

I found an article about the Rohm revolvers, a while back. It was declared that the alloy was some sort of pot metal :rofl:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Im a .40 caliber guy. I find .40 calibers inherently accurate.
    My top in order

Kimber target II in 10mm
    EAA Limited in 10mm
    Para p16-40 10mm & .40 barrels
    S&W 610 10mm

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    In my hands? My usp tactical, but I can group decently if time isn't an issue with my glock, m&p and other hk's

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    WAY more accurate than me, but my Langdonized Beretta Brigadier and Elite II pair. If
    I was better with a pistol the Elite II hands down.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'm most accurate with my Blackhawk in .30 carbine, followed by my Blackhawk in .45 Colt, followed by , . . .

You see where this is going. I'm not carrying any of these on a daily basis.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    My most accurate is my CZ custom Shadow Target. I love that damn pistol. The single action trigger is amazing. If you dont believe me youre more than welcome to stop by Gretna Gun Works and finger bang her a few times!

in55Fu3.jpg

My 17L gen 1 may give the cz a run for the money, but i doubt it.

oChUzXm.jpg

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Here are the guns that I've owned and shot and my ratings for accuracy:

1. Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm
    2. Sig Sauer P229 in 9mm
    3. H&K P2000sk in 9mm
    4. H&K P30 in 9mm
    5. Ruger SR9c
    6. Springfield XD, Springfield XDS, XDM, Glock 19, Glock 26

I have to say that I love the weight of the Sig P226 and P229, and I think that's what makes the Sigs so accurate. Because the Sig P226 and P229 are heavier than most comparable 9mm handguns, you literally have almost zero felt re-coil. They're the most accurate handguns I've ever owned.

The H&K P30 and P2000sk are polymer framed guns, but because of H&K's engineering, very little felt-recoil as well, and man are they accurate for polymer framed guns.

The Ruger SR9c is probably one of the best sub $400 9mm subcompacts. The trigger is super crisp which I think makes the gun so accurate. I think this is one of the most under-rated guns out there, best bang for the buck subcompact, in my opinion.

The Springfield XDs and Glocks are great guns, but to me they have a little bit more felt-recoil than the H&Ks, so my accuracy goes down on these guns.

It's a complete tossup for me between the Sig P226 in 9mm (SRT) and the FN Five seveN. Both phenomenally accurate out of the box with almost any ammo.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I'm most accurate with my Beretta 92fs. But that's probably because it was my first pistol and I've had the most practice with it. I'd definitely like to get my hands on a P226 though.

Top Bottom