Salvo 12 questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    With bird season on top of us, I've been giving some serious thought to a Salvo 12. I don't care so much about having a SBS with 30 round drum magazine. But I do think having a 18" 870 or similar setup with the salvo 12 on the end would be a sweet, and more importantly, hearing safe hunter. Does anyone here own one or have much time behind one? How do they handle? Do you still feel the need for hearing protection?
    Thanks

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I don't have much time with one but I did shoot two at Jim's / Silerencerco shoot.
    If I duck hunted everyday of the season I'd get one but everyone in the blind with me would need one too.
    Walking and wing shooting doves for the afternoon would be a task. They do add weight and move the balance. They are made of blocks and you can stack as many or as few as you want depending on needs.
    It does really smooth out the action of a semi. IMO additional hearing protection would not be needed for an all day shoot.
    I imagine the Salvo would shine if I were to hog hunt with a 20" barreled semi auto slinging buckshot.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    They do make the gun more front heavy but after a few shots you don't really notice that any more. Adding weight to the front certainty changes the swing and really makes it smoother. Harder to get going but easier to keep going once started (rotational inertia). As with any suppressor it suppresses sound not silence it. I have never really bird hunted with hearing protection but you would be fine without it. It certainly makes it much more quiet. Barrel length is going to come into play. I have a 21" host and it's great, but on my duck gun, not sure if it's 26 or 28, it's stupid long. As stated it is a modular design and comes in a 12" configuration and can be reduced to either 10", 8" or 6" but each configuration requires a set of rods specific to the desired length and they are $50 per. Lafsnguy has the best prices on the Salvo and I wish I would have got mine from him.

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    If I buy it, it'll be to hunt with. When you have 3 other guys in the blind I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I duck hunt alone about 3/4 the time.

Is it too cumbersome on a duck gun to use regularly? Would I need to get a 20-21" host to use it comfortably in a blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim's Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Baton rouge, LA
    Everything 3fifty7 and Barney said was spot on. The shotgun definitely points differently with the Salvo but once you get used to it you forget it's there. The downside to shortening it is your going to be over the hearing-safe decibel level (and the cost of the rod kit).

If you have time to come to Baton Rouge tomorrow we will have two Silencerco Reps who have done extensive hunting/shooting with the Salvo. We can throw one on one of our shotguns so you can feel it out before you buy.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I wish I could. Unfortunately I can't get more than 30min from my place of business all weekend. One of the very few downsides to living and working in a small town, I pretty much have to buy the toys I want to play with. Which is why I rely heavily on you guys for pre-purchase opinions.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I buy it, it'll be to hunt with. When you have 3 other guys in the blind I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I duck hunt alone about 3/4 the time.

Is it too cumbersome on a duck gun to use regularly? Would I need to get a 20-21" host to use it comfortably in a blind?

I used one on my 28 inch Xtrema 2 last year to duck hunt and it wasn't bad. A shorter barrel is definitely better but just sitting in a duck blind it isn't a must. Just got back from a dove trip in Texas and used it exclusively on a beretta 1301 comp with the 21 inch barrel. Really hammered the doves and had no problems whatsoever. I'd recommend either the 8 or 10 inch rod kit. It's a good balance between sound reduction and weight/length.

Top Bottom