Show & Tell - My overnight/3 day pack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'd already had this typed up on a few other forums, so I figured I'd post it here too.

DAVE_M said:
    So for the past 6 months or so, I've been accumulating gear to start overnight/3 day hiking. I've mostly only traveled on day hikes, because I disliked the idea of staying alone overnight. Well, some good friends of mine invited me on a few overnight hikes and we've planned our next adventure the first weekend of October. I've been getting my gear ready, figuring out what I need and don't need. Since I had everything lying out and organized, I figured I would take some photos and give a description of what I use and why. I'll start from largest to smallest and try to keep everything grouped by task.

My Pack
    When I was deciding on my first overnight/3 day bag, I didn't want to break the bank, since I was already planning on spending a great deal in other areas and didn't fully understand how much room I would actually need. So, I went with the Kelty Redwing 50. The pack itself comes in slightly over 50 L ( I believe around 52-53 L). My major concern, at the time, was trying on the pack in person. Luckily, most outdoor retailers sell this pack and I was able to try it on at a local sporting goods store. I have two herniated discs in my back, so fitting a pack for comfort and support, was a major part of my purchase. IIRC, I paid a hair over $100 for the pack. Ever since I bought my first Mystery Ranch pack, I've been eyeing another to replace my Kelty already. While the Redwing is perfectly fine, I really like the shoulder padding of the Mystery Ranch line.

Contents (top to bottom)

Tent - North Face Stormbreak 2 (2 person / 3 season)
    Including the footprint, it comes in at roughly 6lbs including the footprint. I would have sprung for a lighter weight, more costly tent, but I had picked up this tent for nearly 50% off the original price and felt that I couldn't pass it up.

Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Scout (Self Inflating)
    I had originally dismissed the thought of a self inflating sleep pad, but revisited the idea when I found this pad for $25 online. I figured for the price, it was worth a shot. I went with the regular length, partly because of the weight savings (versus the Long/Large). The pad and the stuff sack weigh in at 1lb-6oz. Not super light, but not heavy by any means.

BushcraftUSA MEST SAR Variant Tarp
    I absolutely love this tarp! It's a great backup in case of emergencies and makes for a good makeshift rain cover. The entire package weighs just 6.4oz and hardly takes up any room in my pack.

Jetboil Zip/GSI Cup
    In the yellow Sil-Nylon Sea-To-Summit stuff sack, I keep my Jetboil Zip and a cheap GSI stainless mug. I really like the Zip over the Jetboil Flash/SUMO. The zip, in comparison with the flash, is lighter and more compact, due to not having an igniter on the burner. I also have the Jetboil pot holder nested inside the Zip, for use with my GSI mug. The entire package weighs in at 1lb 10oz. When I have more spending money, I'm going to replace the GSI mug with a Titanium mug. Although it's not necessary, I love me some titanium!

Small Contents
    Mechanixwear Original Gloves
    GITD Nalgene Bottle
    (12) DAC Tent Stakes w/ tracer cord, in a nylon sleeve
    Chemlight
    Vargo Titanium Spork
    Petzl Tikka 2 (40 Lumen)
    TAD Battery Case (holds extra AAA batteries)
    ESEE Izula
    Selby Knives Little Folsom w/ LMF Mini Firesteel
    Sawyer Mini Filter in a Crystal Light Tea packet container (I trimmed the straw slightly to fit)
    Sawyer Mini Hydration Bladder/Bag for capturing stream water
    Condor i-Pouch

i-Pouch Contents
    ​Altoids Tin Fire Kit w/ Coghlan's Fire Sticks, Dryer Lint, & Tinder-Quik
    LMF Scout Firesteel & Striker
    Travel Size Bug Spray (DEET)
    Brunton 7DNL Map Compass with paracord lanyard

Not Shown
    IFAK & TP (for when nature calls)
    Camelbak 70oz (2L) Hydration Bladder
    Columbia Rain Jacket

My entire pack, including what is not shown, weighs right at 17lbs. That's slightly heavier than I would like, but it's a decent base weight, considering my tent and pack are nearly all of the weight (9lbs together). I hope this is somewhat helpful for some folks, as I was completely lost when it came to starting my overnight/3 day kit.

21216067876_ddb0118669_c.jpg

20619551964_7357cd504b_c.jpg

As you can see, I'm not exactly an ultralight hippie, but I also try to stay away from the Tactical/Bug Out Bag guys. Most of them haven't been beyond their backyard with all that crap they carry.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As you can see, I'm not exactly an ultralight hippie, but I also try to stay away from the Tactical/Bug Out Bag guys. Most of them haven't been beyond their backyard with all that crap they carry.

The quickest way to learn what you need in your pack is to hike a few miles and stay a night with it. Any suggestions for areas around louisiana to hike/camp without getting shot by something stupid or eaten by something smart?

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    With fall coming up I'm looking to get into the woods myself.

Thanks for the write up Dave.

Did I see you do a similar write up about a mystery ranch bag or am I dreaming? I've got an ASAP I'm dying to rig out and try in the woods.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Stay with what you have! If you have a larger pack you'll just carry more stuff!

What's your total pack weight now?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    With fall coming up I'm looking to get into the woods myself.

Thanks for the write up Dave.

Did I see you do a similar write up about a mystery ranch bag or am I dreaming? I've got an ASAP I'm dying to rig out and try in the woods.

Yep, that was me! My old flickr account got messed up and I had to close it, so I lost a ton of photos, but I'll PM you some mods for your ASAP. All the mods must be removable, so you don't void the lifetime warranty.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Stay with what you have! If you have a larger pack you'll just carry more stuff!

What's your total pack weight now?

The new packs I was looking at were actually 8-10L smaller than what I have now.

Total packed weight is 17lbs 1.3oz without water/food. I can cut the weight down to 14lbs if I get a lighter tent.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The quickest way to learn what you need in your pack is to hike a few miles and stay a night with it. Any suggestions for areas around louisiana to hike/camp without getting shot by something stupid or eaten by something smart?

I completely forgot to answer you on this one! :(
    That's what I get for using my phone!

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/homo.htm
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/kisatchie

I wouldn't be worried about crazy people in Nation Forests, and there aren't as many bear sightings as up North. It's the state parks that attract the bad folks, sadly. I can't tell you how many times I've found evidence of kids sneaking away to go drink/do drugs in the woods.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville

I live in CENLA now and there's good hiking areas through Kisatchie National Forest, also around Lake Kincaid which is also KNF we regularly camp/hunt. Let me know if you're ever in the area.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    21206134498_c3fe593a57_c.jpg

My blanket is 100% polyester fleece and weighs a whopping 11 oz.
    My Thermarest pillow comes in at 8 oz.
    The only weight not accounted for, is the weight of the stuff sack that holds my pillow and blanket, and extra clothes (if I bring them).

I'm going to swap tents and change packs next year and drop another 3 lbs.
    My tarp, cord, GSI Cup, and Jetboil Potholder is optional, so removing that drops another 1lb 4oz.

20771468794_9f547be139_o.jpg

21393979415_a12959203f_z.jpg

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    With how you are packed what do you think the low end of temp you can withstand at night ? Just curious, what else would you pack to be semi comfortable at lower temps?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    With how you are packed what do you think the low end of temp you can withstand at night ? Just curious, what else would you pack to be semi comfortable at lower temps?

Even in 55-60* temps outside, I get pretty hot while hiking. With the rain fly on the tent, you don't get any wind and it gets somewhat humid. If the temps drop below 50*, I'll bring my thermal pants, shirt, and an extra pair of dry socks, just to sleep in. Altogether, those weigh less than a pound. People react differently to weather; two buddies of mine went on a trip in the low 60's, one slept in his thermals, the other slept in just his boxers.

IMO, a sleeping bag (in Louisiana) is more for comfort, unless you are out in 20-30* temps.

Edit -

If I'm staying longer than one night, I'm bringing spare clothes (which will include clothes to sleep in), so I never saw a reason to bring warm clothing AND have a heavy sleeping bag that I will just kick off in my sleep.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not a bad setup! I'd add a full sized carabiner (they're good for so many things...) and a 2nd nalgene.
    I also have a black diamond orbit lantern that doesn't weigh much... its a luxury but worth it. And its great for setting up camp at night...

I really need to find a lighter pack. I bet my pack weighs 5 pounds empty!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not a bad setup! I'd add a full sized carabiner (they're good for so many things...) and a 2nd nalgene.
    I also have a black diamond orbit lantern that doesn't weigh much... its a luxury but worth it. And its great for setting up camp at night...

I really need to find a lighter pack. I bet my pack weighs 5 pounds empty!

I was actually really surprised at the weight of this pack, considering they sell them at just about every sporting goods store and aren't a super ultra hyper lightweight pack company. I'm already looking at retiring this pack and getting a Mystery Ranch Legend. Although it's slightly heavier, Mystery Ranch packs are insanely comfortable.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I'll play.
    12017527_10101607755996370_3013015373690802762_o.jpg

The North Face Terra 65 pack- 3lb 8oz
    Kelty Cosmic Dry Down sleeping bag- 1lb 12oz
    Thermarest Self Inflating Bedroll- 1lb 5oz
    Yukon Outfitter Rain Fly- 1lb
    Yukon Outfitter Hammock with bug net- 1lb 10oz
    Magellan Rain Jacket- 12oz
    Silk Sleeping bag Liner- 4oz
    Gold Bond Powder- 5oz
    Sawyer Water Filter- 4oz
    Black Diamond Head Lamp- 2oz
    Mini Mag Flashlight- 5oz
    Bug Spray- 6oz
    Eastwing Hatchet- 1lb 14oz
    Backpack Rain Cover- 3oz
    Straps for Hanging Hammock- 2lb 3oz
    Climbing Carabiners- 4oz
    Nylon Rope- 8oz
    Plastic Mess Kit- 4oz
    Extra Stakes- 1oz
    Metal Cup- 4oz
    Metal Cooking Pan- 3oz

Not Pictured:
    Black Diamond Trekking Poles
    Camelback 3L Bladder- 6oz
    Nylon Mechanic Gloves- 4oz
    Bic Lighter- 1oz
    Solid Fuel Fire Starter- 1oz

Last trip up to hike the Kincaid loop I was just under 30lbs with 4L water and 2.5 days of food.
    Since then I upgraded on my sleeping bag (Kelty is lighter) and realized I don't need to carry that much water since we have an abundance down here.
    I also removed an extra tarp that was at least 2lbs.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm curious how much all of the weighs. The hatchet alone is a few pounds. :eek3:

I picked up a small kitchen scale from Walmart for $15. It measures pounds/ounces, ounces, or grams. It holds up to 11lbs, but I measured everything separately to get more accurate readings.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I usually go in a group and that is the piece of group gear that I carry hence the reason there is no TP and toothpaste. I will try to get weights of everything tonight.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    So I am carrying 18lb 4oz total before water and food. That is not as bad as I thought. With the new sleeping bag and dropping some items I think the next trip will be a little easier.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom