finding an over under

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    the past year or so I've fell in love with sporting clays. I promised myself if I stuck with it and it wasn't just a phase i would buy myself a over under. so since its been more than a year and i'm still shooting every chance i get, i believe its time to honor my promise. After doing research the best advise i got was that if i wanted to spend under a grand, my best bet was to buy a used Browning or Beretta. the general consensus is that "budget/starter o/u guns" do not last and I would be better off buying and good used gun. here is the problem.... I've been looking for 2 months and i haven't found anything local (gun shop/range bulletin boards, bayou shooter classifieds, word of mouth, gun shows, etc).

Any advise where i can find a good well kept used overunder?
    will a new "sub 1k" gun serve me just as well as a used citori or something?
    or should i just bite the bullet and spend the cash and buy a new browning/beretta?
    -clem

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    I agree your best bet is a used Beretta or a Browning. But you might also want to look at the new Winchester O/U's they are made by FN in Belgium. Another used O/U to consider are Ruger Red Labels. Take a trip up to Gonzales and check out the Gun Library there, sometimes they have great deals. Especially with the season coming up, lots of people get rid of older guns to get new ones.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Cabela's gun library is indeed a good source for used O/U guns. For info on how to buy a used O/U, check the videos on YouTube and the Shotgun World forum. Their Classified section is also a good source for used O/Us.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Look at prices, Beretta ect. are nice guns, but the prices are (to me) too high most of the time for a used gun. I like the Stoeger line as a "no frills" decent shotgun; the condor series seems to have more bellls-n-whistles at a decent price also. The Turkish made shotguns and russian guns are decent quality at a affordable price also.
    Modern cnc machinery has led to some well made "cheap" guns.
    You could look at gunshows for a used Ithica or Ruger, older guns can and do show up at good prices. You would probably want screw in chokes, but, a decent gunsmith can install them on an older gun at a low cost.

dad-e-o

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ponchatoula
    So here you have found the problem! Looking for a good, used Beretta or Browning can be frustrating because people like these guns and hold onto them. There are plenty on the used market but I would suggest that BS is not going to be a good source. If you were looking for a Mossberg or Remington Express to protect you from the next Zombie invasion I would look here. Or if you wanted a CNC wonder whose safety does not quite work right all the time, this might be the place. LA Sportsman used to be the source for good guns but not so much anymore.

2 months is not a long time to search for a good gun. Go outside your local area gun stores and pawn shops. Drive up Airline Highway and stop at the gun shops along the way. Go to Baton Rouge.

Instead of looking at ads at the gun ranges why don't you post one. State what you are looking for but be ready for the squirrels cause they are always looking for nuts!

Buy an el Cheapo if you have to have a O/U and hold it till you get a good one, or better yet, trade it on a good one.

Whoever you talked to about the guns to shoot put you on the right track. The Berettas and Brownings will shoot thousands of rounds before they need maintenance. The cheap guns do not fall in this class. Good guns can be hard to find and good guns in good condition are even harder but they are out there to be had.

Good luck,
    dad

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I picked up one of those inexpensive Academy O/Us about a year ago. I've only got about twenty or so boxes of shells through it, but so far, so good. Nothing's broke, or shown wear. Cleans up nicely, and it's even got good looking wood.

Problem is it won't shoot straight. It keeps missing those skeets. It'll only hit a few more than half of them. Leaves a lot of them to escape and breed. Yea, . . . , It's the gun's fault. That's the ticket.

Point being, . . . You might consider a cheap Turkish shotgun until you find the $500 Silver Pigeon you're looking for.

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've also picked up one of those cheap academy Yildiz o/u guns for sporting clays and skeet. I have roughly 3000 rds down the barrel and not a single issue but man will it beat up your shoulder after 100rds

lajones

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Louisiana
    I liked the O/U idea too when I was trap shooting. Bought a stoeger because I didn't want to pay the price of a new beretta. Shooting instantly became unfun due to the kick I took with every shot. Bought a berreta al 390 new (it's been a while) and never looked back. 200 rounds, 300 rounds, no problem.

Last edited:

xmeister

xmeister
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    Clem
    I'm hooked on sporting clays too, and after spending a bunch more than I'd like to admit on sporting guns, here is my advice. Be realistic. Sub 1k quality over/unders are super rare. The Turkish guns are too light (hunting guns) or swing like a fence post (very poor balance). They are hunting guns not competition guns. If you are 'shooting every chance you get', you will break them in short order (if your shoulder lets you keep your interest that long). I don't know what you are shooting now, but I would suggest a semi-auto while you save your money for a Beretta SP-1 ($1900-ish). I would suggest the Beretta A-300 Outlander in the $600 range. It is a very capable do-everything gun including all the clays games and hunting. If not that, find a used Remington 1100 and save your money. There are no cheaper alternatives that will last.

clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    I've rented a few guns over the last few months at different shooting ranges, and you can feel the price difference. Don't get me wrong the cheaper guns broke clays ,but the quality and feel was no where near as good as Beretta/Browning. i also go to chance to shoot a Perazzi and my ability to shoot will never justify a purchase like that. all in all I've narrowed my search down quite considerably since starting this post. i appreciate all the help and advise I've gotten so far and i cannot thank you guys enough.

has anyone have any experience with the "new"er browning cynergys?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bought my field grade beretta used about 15 years ago and love it. After about 20 years of shooting birds with an old Franchi auto, the first time out I realized what I'd been missing. Nothing like shooting a double with that gun when hunting quail. It does ok on clays too I reckon. I've used a Ruger red label and found them to be sweet guns too, but a bit on the heavy side. I can see where one with changeable choke tubes would come in handy, but whatever you settle on, if you keep in mind that you may get to shoot birds with it one day, you may steer towards a winner. Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    In my experience, I've always found the best deals on used shotguns come from my fellow sporting clays shooters. Once you join a club and make friends w. other shooters, and let it be known you are in the market to make a buy, you will find many good quality guns at reasonable prices. Don't be afraid to horse-trade. I once traded an old golf cart for a nice O/U.

shotgunjim

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    Try checking with Jaquas.com as they have a good supply of shotguns, new and used. JoelEtchenGuns is a big Beretta shotgun dealer. I have bought from jaquas and joel etchen and they are good folks. jim

Hopalong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Shoot a Yildiz O/U 12 ga once a week (50 rounds) at Honey Island - Sporting Clays. The gun shoots better than I ever will. It does have a kick but I started loading my own shells and found my comfort powder formula. Fixed that problem. Still can't brag about shooting results but I do have my moments. The gun has never missed a beat and I have no compelling desire to upgrade. All for $430. Good looking gun too.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Shoot a Yildiz O/U 12 ga once a week (50 rounds) at Honey Island - Sporting Clays. The gun shoots better than I ever will. It does have a kick but I started loading my own shells and found my comfort powder formula. Fixed that problem. Still can't brag about shooting results but I do have my moments. The gun has never missed a beat and I have no compelling desire to upgrade. All for $430. Good looking gun too.

Did I just hear a duck call?

skipper1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I picked up a Franchi Diamond O/U I've been pleased with. They were a Dicks Sporting Goods exclusive. Italian made and use Benelli/Beretta choke tubes.
    6eaf0d8b5c7cf8823907759657760006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom