Olympic plate - what to look for? Where to buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have some plates with 1" holes but no olympic plates with 2" holes.

Essentially I have no experience with olympic plates.

What are some features to consider when buying these? I may want to use them as just a plate to do a plate work out or just for grip work and of course on a barbell itself. Some have 3 or 4 handle cutouts, which seem like a nice feature but not a big deal. I am not sure I but don't foresee dropping the bar and needing bumper plates.

Also where to buy if not locally such as Academy, Sears or Walmart? Craig's list may be and option if the price is right. I have some used stuff already that were gotten on the cheap! Going rate on new seems to be right at $1 a pound for steel and bumper plate are in the $2 a pound zone.

Also any suggestions on keepers or collars?

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I used the academy 300 lb setup for years. Only complaint was the edges where a little hard to grab. The ones with holes are easier.

Not much to say. It's freaking plates of steel. Not much to critique lol

I prefer the spring clamps. Less tedious than messing with the collars with locks.

Make sure the bar has good knurling. That probably the biggest thing. Even same bars from same company can be better or worse. Like the tool wears over time.

Def go 2" if you are doing anything even remotely heavy.

The rubber is for show. Drop that on your toe and it'll still break it. May not make as much noise if dropped or may hurt a floor material less but really it doesn't do much.

I will say that octagon plates (Dumbbells too) roll off less. If that will irritate you or your floor is uneven, something to consider maybe? If it's worth the price to you. Doesn't bother me really

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I used the academy 300 lb setup for years. Only complaint was the edges where a little hard to grab. The ones with holes are easier.

Not much to say. It's freaking plates of steel. Not much to critique lol

I prefer the spring clamps. Less tedious than messing with the collars with locks.

Make sure the bar has good knurling. That probably the biggest thing. Even same bars from same company can be better or worse. Like the tool wears over time.

Def go 2" if you are doing anything even remotely heavy.

The rubber is for show. Drop that on your toe and it'll still break it. May not make as much noise if dropped or may hurt a floor material less but really it doesn't do much.

I will say that octagon plates (Dumbbells too) roll off less. If that will irritate you or your floor is uneven, something to consider maybe? If it's worth the price to you. Doesn't bother me really

Thanks SVT,

Yes it is just a plate with a hole in it! Spring clamps it is.

I already have the bar. I got it here in a trade. I keep forgetting the brand, but it seems decent. Knurling is good with no rust. I will probably never go too heavy.

What I have for dumbells is the hex on the light fixed ones. They don't roll & stack well enough. The ones with removable weight I got used for $15 bucks for 5 sets are round. They go up to 70 lbs which is not something I currently need for arm work. I can overhead press the 50's but that's more of a max and not a work out, Maybe I could do 3x3 but am more in the mode of not overdoing it and injuring anything. Anyway that set is 5 & 10 lb plates with 1" holes. As far as rolling off it is not a major issue. I am going to make a rack for them any way. Dumbells are something to trip over if left on the floor.

I have two older Weider 25 lb plates that have a nice round edge about like the contour of a steering wheel. I use those in a farmers carry mode when walking in between sets. I definitely don't have a very rigid program at the moment.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Thanks SVT,

Yes it is just a plate with a hole in it! Spring clamps it is.

I already have the bar. I got it here in a trade. I keep forgetting the brand, but it seems decent. Knurling is good with no rust. I will probably never go too heavy.

What I have for dumbells is the hex on the light fixed ones. They don't roll & stack well enough. The ones with removable weight I got used for $15 bucks for 5 sets are round. They go up to 70 lbs which is not something I currently need for arm work. I can overhead press the 50's but that's more of a max and not a work out, Maybe I could do 3x3 but am more in the mode of not overdoing it and injuring anything. Anyway that set is 5 & 10 lb plates with 1" holes. As far as rolling off it is not a major issue. I am going to make a rack for them any way. Dumbells are something to trip over if left on the floor.

I have two older Weider 25 lb plates that have a nice round edge about like the contour of a steering wheel. I use those in a farmers carry mode when walking in between sets. I definitely don't have a very rigid program at the moment.

Sounds like a great base for a home gym. The 1" stuff works great for small things. I had those also and dumbbell handles. Instead of a whole set. Takes up less space.

Get a program. It's important to have a plan and stick to it. The Internet is great way to find plans that are proven. You just need to set your goal and find a plan to meet it

And don't forget the other two facets. Lifting is only 33% of it. The other 66% is resting and eating. Get good nights sleep and eat right.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Sounds like a great base for a home gym. The 1" stuff works great for small things. I had those also and dumbbell handles. Instead of a whole set. Takes up less space.

Get a program. It's important to have a plan and stick to it. The Internet is great way to find plans that are proven. You just need to set your goal and find a plan to meet it

And don't forget the other two facets. Lifting is only 33% of it. The other 66% is resting and eating. Get good nights sleep and eat right.

I am kind of in the development stage of my program. Grip and neck are two major goals. Then everything else in general. I do some body weight only as that is easy to do as is where is. I have been trying different things. Trying a lot of stuff is fun but it is hard to track any progress and see improvements.

The other 66% is really equally as hard.

I have some you tube guys that I follow. A big thing for me is getting form and range of motion correct at this time. I would rather go light or no weight at first and not cheat to put higher weight in motion.

I have a chance to try some kettle bells but those always seemed scary as that is a lot of weight moving in what seems a dangerous manner. After doing some research it does make more sense to me now. However I still have to wonder how many people get hurt with them.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I am kind of in the development stage of my program. Grip and neck are two major goals. Then everything else in general. I do some body weight only as that is easy to do as is where is. I have been trying different things. Trying a lot of stuff is fun but it is hard to track any progress and see improvements.

The other 66% is really equally as hard.

I have some you tube guys that I follow. A big thing for me is getting form and range of motion correct at this time. I would rather go light or no weight at first and not cheat to put higher weight in motion.

I have a chance to try some kettle bells but those always seemed scary as that is a lot of weight moving in what seems a dangerous manner. After doing some research it does make more sense to me now. However I still have to wonder how many people get hurt with them.

If you're working on grip, don't get plates with handle holes in them. Gripping the plates without them will give you a little extra grip work. I buy all my plates from craigslist. I've got some extra 35's and 25's that I'd sell you for 50 cents a pound.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If you're working on grip, don't get plates with handle holes in them. Gripping the plates without them will give you a little extra grip work. I buy all my plates from craigslist. I've got some extra 35's and 25's that I'd sell you for 50 cents a pound.

I'll get with you on the plates you have. In theory I have some potential use for handle holes but it is not a big deal.

For grip I hold the rim on my 25 lb. Another way is to do 5# or 10# plates and hold 2 or more. This way I find I can vary my grip more.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Craigslist was the best resource I found when putting together a home gym. If you can find a gym that is upgrading or going out of business you can usually get better quality stuff for fair prices. For used Olympic sized plates, I'd pay no more than $.50lb for the cheap standard plates you see at Academy and expect to pay $.80-$1.00 lb for used Ivanko plates, rubber coated, or bumpers. I sold all of my standard plates and prefer to use Body Solid rubber coated plates for 2.5-25lbs and Ivanko machined plates from 35-45lbs (less wobble on the bar and more accurate weight tolerances with better quality plates). The Body Solid rubber coated plates have slots to hold and come in handy when warming up. If you will be doing deadlifts you will want round plates and not the hex shaped ones. I like using powerblocks for dumbbells. They take a little while to get used to, but the space savings and ease of changing weights is worth it. If you will be working out alone, definitely look into getting a power cage or at least a half rack with some chains or strap to catch the bar if you fail a set.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    mike84z28,
    Thanks, there is always an abundance of gym equipment not being used. That is one reason I have been slow to by things. No sense going all in if I am not sticking with it.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Craigslist was the best resource I found when putting together a home gym. If you can find a gym that is upgrading or going out of business you can usually get better quality stuff for fair prices. For used Olympic sized plates, I'd pay no more than $.50lb for the cheap standard plates you see at Academy and expect to pay $.80-$1.00 lb for used Ivanko plates, rubber coated, or bumpers. I sold all of my standard plates and prefer to use Body Solid rubber coated plates for 2.5-25lbs and Ivanko machined plates from 35-45lbs (less wobble on the bar and more accurate weight tolerances with better quality plates). The Body Solid rubber coated plates have slots to hold and come in handy when warming up. If you will be doing deadlifts you will want round plates and not the hex shaped ones. I like using powerblocks for dumbbells. They take a little while to get used to, but the space savings and ease of changing weights is worth it. If you will be working out alone, definitely look into getting a power cage or at least a half rack with some chains or strap to catch the bar if you fail a set.
    YoungMarine
    So they are more that just "freaking plates of steel" with a hole in them. I was wondering how much tolerance and fitment mattered. I remember the sets we used and teenager that were not all that great. The power blocks do look cumbersome.

Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom