Public shooting land near Nola

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I grew up in the country in MS. I never even dreamed of the day when I would have to pay to shoot. Are there any places near New Orleans within a 30 mile radius that is open to public shooting?
    In before 7th Ward.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Honey Island?
    intredasting.jpg

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I do believe LACamper is referring to the Buffer Zone or the 'BZ' for short. It was fun while it lasted, but having things open to the public didn't work out. It was a borrow pit inside the Stennis Space Center buffer zone. A plinker's paradise to a large degree.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    It helps to let us know what you are looking for. It is beginning to sound like you are unfamiliar with the laws and surrounding areas.

I suppose i am talking about the BZ Request is talking about. And by the responses it sounds like shooting anywhere is illegal other than ranges. That is what sounds odd to me. It's been years since I've shot in MS but I don't ever recall it being a problem except one time a friend and I shot at a gravel pit at night. The neighbors complained about that.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I suppose i am talking about the BZ Request is talking about. And by the responses it sounds like shooting anywhere is illegal other than ranges. That is what sounds odd to me. It's been years since I've shot in MS but I don't ever recall it being a problem except one time a friend and I shot at a gravel pit at night. The neighbors complained about that.

1000 feet away from a residential property is a good rule of thumb. However, you should be checking with local noise ordinances. There is a ton of information out there, but there area specific laws. I can already tell you, that unless you own a forest somewhere in the city, that Metairie is a no go.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    And by the responses it sounds like shooting anywhere is illegal other than ranges.

In the context of "Public shooting land near Nola" pretty much so.
    In the context of "Private shooting land near Nola" you would have more options if you know the land owner. Depends how near.

Air rifle/pistol can be a nice alternative when you can't make the time, distance and cost commitments. But I am sure that can be a problem too if the neighbors complain.

In a lot of ways a range is just so convenient.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Cool y'all told me what I needed to know, thanks. I was kind of thinking that Old Gentilly might have an area to shoot. It's definitely far enough away from stuff.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Cool y'all told me what I needed to know, thanks. I was kind of thinking that Old Gentilly might have an area to shoot. It's definitely far enough away from stuff.

You may be on to something. I doubt random gunfire would draw much attention in Gentilly! ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom