LSU's steps to being safer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Detatnola2012

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    With the recent and horrific shooting in Oregon, many questions about what to do to stop these horrific events from happening. From the "rumors" swirling around LSU, confirmed by The Advocate, LSUPD found a person passed out in his car from drugs with a rifle in the car as well. Now, whether his attention is to harm students or just has a rifle is a whole other story. But what is actually being down to keep crazy people from shooting up a classroom at LSU. Sure there is LSUPD but how long and how many would be killed before they could respond? Should LSU still be considered a gun-free zone or should you allow CCW holders to carry at least in their backpacks? Who knows but to think it can't happen to us is nonsense so lets at least see something happening to protect the students. I don't agree with gun free zones especially at college schools, I understand why people support them but it just takes away any possibility of someone to defend themselves. You are now basically fish in a barrel. I'm not saying LSUPD does a terrible job in defending the students, but I know that I am a lot fast of a responder if I am in the room with a gun than an officer rolling around campus. So should LSU still remain gun free and for people carry even through its a gun free zone? Or should we implement strategies to allow citizens to carry concealed (since they are law binding)? Thoughts, comments, concerns I might not be seeing?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    With the recent and horrific shooting in Oregon, many questions about what to do to stop these horrific events from happening. From the "rumors" swirling around LSU, confirmed by The Advocate, LSUPD found a person passed out in his car from drugs with a rifle in the car as well. Now, whether his attention is to harm students or just has a rifle is a whole other story. But what is actually being down to keep crazy people from shooting up a classroom at LSU. Sure there is LSUPD but how long and how many would be killed before they could respond? Should LSU still be considered a gun-free zone or should you allow CCW holders to carry at least in their backpacks? Who knows but to think it can't happen to us is nonsense so lets at least see something happening to protect the students. I don't agree with gun free zones especially at college schools, I understand why people support them but it just takes away any possibility of someone to defend themselves. You are now basically fish in a barrel. I'm not saying LSUPD does a terrible job in defending the students, but I know that I am a lot fast of a responder if I am in the room with a gun than an officer rolling around campus. So should LSU still remain gun free and for people carry even through its a gun free zone? Or should we implement strategies to allow citizens to carry concealed (since they are law binding)? Thoughts, comments, concerns I might not be seeing?

It wasn't a rumor. Some drug-dealer idiot was passed out in his truck on campus with an AK in his lap. The term "idiot" probably doesn't even do him justice.

I just actually got home from LSU about 20 minutes ago. I had a meeting until around 9:30 and at the end I hung around and was talking with the guys about what happened in Oregon today and stuff like that. We eventually got on the subject of gun rules regarding colleges. I can say I would definitely want to be able to have my CCW on me at campus, but I can honestly say that I really wouldn't want most college students to have that easy of access to having a gun on campus. Let's be honest - getting a CHL in Louisiana is not that difficult. I know I am a million times more responsible that most of my fellow peers at school. I wouldn't want most of them to even OWN a gun because many of them are the typical idiotic, drunk, irresponsible college students that everyone knows of. Even with the extra "training" to get a CHL, I wouldn't want most people to have a gun on campus. It's just opening a can of worms.

I would definitely be all for allowing college students to go through additional training that would allow them to carry on campus though. Maybe a little more of a vetting process that could sort out the idiots. I know a few guys who are my age and are cops and they carry to school (either concealed in student clothes or open in a uniform). Would this help prevent school shootings? I have no idea. Most of those guys have a death wish anyway, but I feel like it /might/ make them want to choose another school where they wouldn't have the potential to be shot back at very quickly.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this though as well. I graduate very soon, so I don't really care as much as I would have two years ago, but I still think it's an interesting discussion to be had.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Should you allow CCW holders to carry at least in their backpacks?
    Even if CC was permitted on campus, the amount of time wasted on unzipped a bookbag, rifling through it and finding your firearm could be a matter of life and death.

I don't agree with gun free zones especially at college schools, I understand why people support them but it just takes away any possibility of someone to defend themselves
    There are pros and cons to this argument, as are any argument.

I think you should change your argument to being all colleges instead of honing in on LSU. LSU is one of many. There has actually been talk of CC being permitted at LSU but in the long run, the administration didn't like the idea.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    It's a bit of a double-edged sword but I personally would have to come down on the side of individual liberties. I realize that people of the typical university level age aren't fully in control of impulsiveness (so says recent science), but that's hardly a reason to paint a broad stroke over all only to inhibit the few that are, and may need to be able to defend themselves.

Detatnola2012

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    @RedStickChick: I was trying to bring it to a local level. Not just hone in on. I know people who conceal as well and it's strapped to them. My point is that I don't like the idea that we are just defenseless and at the mercy of response time. If I'm going to be killed I want a fighting chance.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    Some say that they wouldn’t trust a college student with a weapon but we put them in the hands of our college age military personal though. I know carrying a weapon also carries a lot of responsibility.

Wolf

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've went through a class and received my "license" a long time ago. I have also seen several class where there were young and old that really need way more instruction time then they will receive in a one day class. Where do we draw the line. Some folks are really scary and are also really scared. They need and want protection, so how do we teach them in a 8 hour class what they need to know? Shouldn't they have chance at freedom from being to scared to leave their home.

Bryan

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Since you need to be 21 years old to get a CC permit, most college students can't carry anyway.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I'm over 21 and attend a state college part time. It aggravates me that every time I go to campus I've got to remove my firearm from my person and secure it in my vehicle. After the Mississippi thing a couple weeks ago I started thinking about getting with the state reps and trying to convince them to push something legislation wise. I'll be writing my state reps today. It may not apply to you all directly but you've got kids and grandkids it might. Think about doing the same. Anyone interested in me posting the correspondence?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I think that there is a way to allow CC on college campuses.

a general concealed carry class is one thing, however would anyone be opposed to an endorsement structure for carry in places like college campuses?

Perhaps that endorsement comes with the requirement for additional coursework?

as a society, we require endorsements for things like operating a motorcycle or a tractor trailer. I would think that a similar endorsement structure might make sense.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There's also a difference in situational awareness. Your typical CC holder won't need to fire his or her weapon in a crowded room, filled with bystanders running around, fleeing, reacting.

The additional endorsement would be nice, and I'd be all for it, but there needs to be a lot of extra training for that to happen IMO.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I would definitely be all for allowing college students to go through additional training that would allow them to carry on campus though. Maybe a little more of a vetting process that could sort out the idiots.

I think that is the ticket. Perhaps a quarter or semester class that can be given by a qualified instructor who takes into account not only how they act and perform in class but also the student's true character outside of class. Maybe only select applicants can enroll? Class can be taken before 21 but no more than one year before they receive conceal carry permit? CCW should only be allowed on the individual, my thinking is a backpack is too easy for the wrong person to get their hands on. Number of students who pass and are allowed to carry should be made known to everyone on campus but the names of students maybe shouldn't be broadcast?
    My suggestions for campus carry only, not everywhere.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's a bit of a double-edged sword but I personally would have to come down on the side of individual liberties. I realize that people of the typical university level age aren't fully in control of impulsiveness (so says recent science), but that's hardly a reason to paint a broad stroke over all only to inhibit the few that are, and may need to be able to defend themselves.

You (we), should always come down on the side of personal liberties! There were morons with guns in the 1700's too! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

@RedStickChick: I was trying to bring it to a local level. Not just hone in on. I know people who conceal as well and it's strapped to them. My point is that I don't like the idea that we are just defenseless and at the mercy of response time. If I'm going to be killed I want a fighting chance.

Absolutely!

- - - Updated - - -

Some say that they wouldn’t trust a college student with a weapon but we put them in the hands of our college age military personal though. I know carrying a weapon also carries a lot of responsibility.

Wolf

They get ALOT of training though!

- - - Updated - - -

I've went through a class and received my "license" a long time ago. I have also seen several class where there were young and old that really need way more instruction time then they will receive in a one day class. Where do we draw the line. Some folks are really scary and are also really scared. They need and want protection, so how do we teach them in a 8 hour class what they need to know? Shouldn't they have chance at freedom from being to scared to leave their home.
    Bryan

Absolutely!

- - - Updated - - -

Since you need to be 21 years old to get a CC permit, most college students can't carry anyway.

Good Point!

shnev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Just another NPE. If it were allowed, and a lot of students who were armed and untrained, engaging an active shooter may put the defender in harms way. There is so much information that a second, third, fourth, and so on, defender has before committing to a hostile engagement. There is a lot of potential for the secondary defenders to mis-identify who the active shooter really is and engage other "good guys".

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

a general concealed carry class is one thing, however would anyone be opposed to an endorsement structure for carry in places like college campuses?

as a society, we require endorsements for things like operating a motorcycle or a tractor trailer. I would think that a similar endorsement structure might make sense.

I would feel completely comfortable with my 17 year old son carrying now! The difference is exposure and familiarity at an early age by a good father/teacher!!

Last edited:

shnev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carencro, Louisiana

I like your thinking!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It wasn't a rumor. Some drug-dealer idiot was passed out in his truck on campus with an AK in his lap. The term "idiot" probably doesn't even do him justice.

I just actually got home from LSU about 20 minutes ago. I had a meeting until around 9:30 and at the end I hung around and was talking with the guys about what happened in Oregon today and stuff like that. We eventually got on the subject of gun rules regarding colleges. I can say I would definitely want to be able to have my CCW on me at campus, but I can honestly say that I really wouldn't want most college students to have that easy of access to having a gun on campus. Let's be honest - getting a CHL in Louisiana is not that difficult. I know I am a million times more responsible that most of my fellow peers at school. I wouldn't want most of them to even OWN a gun because many of them are the typical idiotic, drunk, irresponsible college students that everyone knows of. Even with the extra "training" to get a CHL, I wouldn't want most people to have a gun on campus. It's just opening a can of worms.

I would definitely be all for allowing college students to go through additional training that would allow them to carry on campus though. Maybe a little more of a vetting process that could sort out the idiots. I know a few guys who are my age and are cops and they carry to school (either concealed in student clothes or open in a uniform). Would this help prevent school shootings? I have no idea. Most of those guys have a death wish anyway, but I feel like it /might/ make them want to choose another school where they wouldn't have the potential to be shot back at very quickly.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this though as well. I graduate very soon, so I don't really care as much as I would have two years ago, but I still think it's an interesting discussion to be had.

Most college age kids are morons. But they drive cars too! Look at the statistics on death rates there. Why do we view guns any differently? Compared to college age driving deaths, college age gun deaths don't even measure on the spectrum.

This debate is only a debate because of politics. I don't want the personal protection of my college student kid in the hands of idiots like the Dumbass! Want to talk about a moron? Did anyone actually listen to that drivel that idiot was spouting? Here is a guy that comes from a town that has THE strictest gun laws on the books, it is the black murder capital of the U.S., the mayor is his personal blow-buddy; and they are both half black! How can this clown sit there and pontificate to the rest of us about guns?

I would rather my kid get kicked out of school for being "outed" for having a gun on him, than be picking him up at the morgue because he wasn't. But, that said; my kid would not cower in the corner waiting for the cops to show up either. He's gonna GTF out of there (or at least he's going to try like hell), because he's been exposed to reality of the world's horrors and morons in our midst already!!

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I never had issues on campus at LSU.

Unfortunately there is very little chance of changing the law anytime soon because there are so many people, including supposedly 2nd amendment supporters, who don't trust college students, professors, staff, etc.

And then some people would have you think it takes a masters degree in order to be able to carry, load, point, shoot a gun. :rolleyes:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Most college age kids are morons. But they drive cars too! Look at the statistics on death rates there. Why do we view guns any differently? Compared to college age driving deaths, college age gun deaths don't even measure on the spectrum.

Good point. Good kids die on a daily basis in car crashes.

And no doubt some ******* behind the wheel of a bro truck could kill more people than some ******* with a gun.

By some people's logic, driving age should be raised to age 25, and you should only get your driver's license after completing a year's-long course of study in mechanics, defensive driving, aerodynamic engineering, and auto maintenance.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Besides, packing in college might have helped me pass calculus!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom