Need help on 1911 for lower level pistol competitions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Want to start shooting pistol comp with 1911. Looking to do lower catogories or single stack. Nothing majorly difficult. Looking into Sti Trojan for my 1911. Any help and suggestions please. Thanks.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Springfield Range Officer is another good candidate for your needs. Also consider caliber. If you reload and plan to shoot major loads, 40 brass is cheaper than 45. Minor lets you load 10 rounds instead of 8 if you went 9mm.

Dawson Precision sells what they call a "Competition Ready Pistol" which is just a Range Officer or Trojan with a fiber front sight, magwell, and mag release, but the combination is less than if bought separately.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I load 45 so want to stick with that load. Have plenty of brass so that's no prob. Was leaning toward Dawson Trojan crp 45. So I can get that pistol with all the extras and still do the lower classes. Have a range officer and don't really like the way it shoots so wouldn't want that gun.

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Rock island armory. Can't beat the value. Bought mine in 2008 and it's still going strong after years of competition.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    What type of competition exactly do you want to shoot?

What do you have now?

If you own anything with a 10+1 capacity I'd go shoot USPSA production if you haven't already shot in competition a good bit. It is an easy place to get your feet wet.

A single stack 45 can certainly be used to good effect in competition but I'd take a step back and ask what it is about the competition you want to achieve -

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    He said "single stack", so that, coupled with the request for a 1911, lead me to interpret that to mean USPSA Single Stack division, which requires a 1911 pattern gun.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I miss my RIA 1911's! I shot friendly competitions with it several times and always loved it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Want to start shooting pistol comp with 1911. Looking to do lower catogories or single stack. Nothing majorly difficult. Looking into Sti Trojan for my 1911. Any help and suggestions please. Thanks.

That's really an excellent choice. Springfield Range Officer is another..... if you want something with Combat Sights, Ruger SR-1911, Springfield Loaded would both work well. If you want to spend more money..... well the sky is the limit.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Cant go wrong with Dawson and STI!!
    you can look into production class also if you own a glock 9mm.

Top Bottom