New Seller Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tankolds70

Oct 10, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Greetings All,

I am looking to sell my first gun on the site and want to make sure I do it right. Can someone please give me the rundown on the proper selling procedures, including the actual meeting with the buyer, or point me to an existing post that covers this information? Thanks in advance.

Mxav

Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    What makes a good "FOR SALE" post is a post that includes the following:

- Condition of item
    - Whats all included in sale
    - Price
    - Additional or history information about item
    - Your location
    - Picture of item

Now, once you have a buyer, discuss a meeting location. Somewhere safe, open to the public, bring a friend if you want?
    Dont forget the bill of sale.
    Thats usually the basics of it, have fun!

:)

tankolds70

Oct 10, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for the info. How about driver's license? Do I need to get a copy of the buyer's and should I provide a copy of mine?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Thanks for the info. How about driver's license? Do I need to get a copy of the buyer's and should I provide a copy of mine?

That is a little over the top, visual verification should work just fine.

PECEMKR

Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    1. If buyer seems to anxious or you feel funny walk away
    2. If you ask to high a price and some one is jumping on it or offering more for any reason walk away.
    3. cash or if you wish a alternative cash
    4. Ftf especially since you are new to this , shipping some thing are ok but certainly add logistics
    5. Protect yourself , meet safe place , possibly with a friend
    6. Do your home work if doing a trade, Alot of friction concerning trades is because lack of information by one of the parties, Ohh I thought this gun was such , or I thought i was getting such , And be honest about what you are listing
    7. If it seems to good to be true ...... walk away
    8. Make sure all items are exchanged in one transaction , ie I know i listed 10 mags but I could one find three this am ,, ill get the rest to you next week .. ( has happend alot)

NOLASHOOTER

Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I second some of the things said already but I will say what I feel. Let me just start by saying I have not actually had a bad experience with a sale or trade on here and I hope anybody who has traded, sold or bought something from me feels the same. I actually have met some good people through it and have had several transactions with the same people because I like them. Let me first say that honesty is what makes it work on this site. Don't mislead anybody and don't be afraid to walk away if you every feel wrong about anything. And, if you say you are going to meet then you better show up. I will immediately look over a person's profile on here if I don't know them just to see if others may have said anything bad in the feedback area or just generally what the person writes about. Like I said I have met some good people and had some great conversations during meeting and have even met people at their house. Let me say that you don't have to take an offer if you don't want to. I have had people send me lowball offers and all I say is thanks but no thanks. The opposite side of that is make sure you are asking a fair price. If you are trying to get some crazy amount for something you will not probably not sell it. People here know their stuff and what prices should be. You don't want to be "that" guy. I will say don't take a loss just because somebody offers a low offer. Most of the time an agreement can be made. Make sure you tell people where you want to meet as far as what city. It is a waste of time to get offers from somebody on the other side of the state. Meet in a place you are comfortable with. Parking lots of malls and stores are always good. I don't like to meet at night but that is just me.
    ABOVE ALL FOLLOW THE LAWS CONCERNING FIREARMS. It is always a good thing to ask or put in your post that they must legally be able to own a firearm. Couldn't hurt.

Persecutor

Aug 20, 2015
    Denham Springs, La
    I too was somewhat unsure about selling a firearm on this forum a few weeks ago. But it was easy. Posted all relevant info with honesty/full disclosure. Met with buyer in public place to deliver, and true to what I saw from participating on the forum the buyer was a straight up nice guy that was a lot like me. No problems or issues, we signed a bill of sale and had a nice visit. Made me appreciate the kind of folks that participate here.

pulpsmack

Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick

Utterly unnecessary.

There are two requirements:

1. Don't sell to a known felon or ineligible buyer;

2. Don't sell a handgun out of state/to an out-of-state resident.

If a pistol, you may wish to ask to see a LA ID to ensure you are selling to a LA resident. You may ask if the person has committed a felony. If that sort of thing unnerves you a bit, then you can restrict your sale to CCW permitees only (which generally ensures the person has full rights to own a firearm).

Bill of sale sellers annoy me and I do not give the my business. I do not want to deal with the nonsense and you can BET that if I find it necessary to deal with one, I would REQUIRE the same copies of their full info, which would be passed to the next buyer so as to ensure the world knows who sold the gun (lest there be an issue of it being reported stolen, etc).

tankolds70

Oct 10, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    The bill of sale I printed off the Internet just has their address, my address, and the make, model and serial number of the gun. Is this too much in your opinion? Is trading no paperwork at all acceptable?

If the gun is registered to you, and after selling it something bad happens, don't you need to have some record that you sold it?

Thanks

Last edited:

general mills

May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The bill of sale I printed off the Internet just has their address, my address, and the make, model and serial number of the gun. Is this too much in your opinion? Is trading no paperwork at all acceptable?

If the gun is registered to you, and after selling it something bad happens, don't you need to have some record that you sold it?

Thanks

The gun is not registered to you. If bought at a store the seller has a record that he sold the gun to you. You do not need to have a record of sale if someone else does something illegal with the gun, but it may help quickly prove your non-involvement to the police. I personally don't worry about that to much, but that is my choice. I feel trading no paperwork is perfectly acceptable, but be sure that you are comfortable that you are not selling to a felon, or buying a stolen gun.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    A lot of good info and some not so. I sell a lot of firearms and as per the ATF website an individual not licensed must still adhere to some guidelines. You can sell a long gun to anyone over 18 and a residence of the state. Handguns require a 21 year old to purchase. You DO NOT need to keep records but I do to protect myself and the buyer in case the firearm gets lost or stolen the buyer would have a copy of receipt with the serial number. And I would have a paper trail as to where it has gone. I have never had a buyer refuse and if I did I would stop the sale because he is probable hiding something or just a paranoid nut. As pcmaker quoted if something does not seem right and your buyer seems not right stop everything immediately and walk away. Tell them your sorry but u cannot complete the sale with them. There is nothing worse than turning around to find you are looking down the barrel of a 45 and the buyer takes off with your firearm. ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE WATCHING YOUR BACK especially if dealing with someone you are not comfortable with.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Be prepared , some people will not do a bill of sale under any circumstances . Ask before you meet up and possibly save some heartache .

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom