PC Matic or AVG Discussion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So, though I would rarely take advice from anyone here about certain firearms related concepts much less everyday life choices; I do realize the some of you may actually have some technical prowess, particularly with computers, and more specifically networking.

Now let's get on with it.

I am using the premium version (I actually pay for it; not the free ****), of AVG. I use it in concert with premium Malware-bytes. For the past few years these two have been solid in stopping threats entering my network. Of course nothing is going to stop a dummy from opening an email saying he/she won money and introducing a catastrophe on the network.

This year of Premium AVG is almost expired and I need to re-up. But as you all know I am an American kind of guy. I see the PC Matic guy pushing the made in America mantra and I want to embrace it. But I am not forgiving them for lying to people saying their old software speeds up old computers when all those things ever did was defragment files and fix registry errors. All things people can do themselves, but lazy people or dummies don't.

But I am not interested in that, they are now pushing Anti-virus protection. And pushing it hard. Not even mentioning the other crap any more. Anti-virus is more important now than ever since the internet is slowly turning into a giant criminal playground.

Anybody using this on a network and have real world experience?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I researched it a little and PC Matic gets bad reviews.
    I was also turned off by his style of selling. Seems a little "used car salesman"ish to me.

I like ESET's network AV but got contracted out to another company and we now use Symantec.
    I had an IT auditor in my office today and he said he uses AVG products at all his clients.

What I really hate is changing AV products. If AVG is working for you, renew and get on with other business. Swapping is going to tie someone up for while.

EDIT:
    A quick google search reminded me of some of the thing I found about PC Matic. Many people have reported lots of false positives by using whitelist instead of blacklist. This would be a no go for me as an IT professional. We use lots of applications that are specific to healthcare and not "usual". This could cause way to many issue with a whitelist approach.

Last edited:

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    one thing to also do is not to set your user account as an admin account. you should run your as a limited user because most the virus need admin rights to install.

norton does a good job but does cost $

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I work with a lot of enterprise level computer systems and most run with Symantec or McAfee although some make due with the Microsoft AV but that is usually on the smaller sites with less IT staff.

I personally run Microsoft and SpyBot S&D and that handles all the systems on my home network but I work for a software company and know better than most users. I also give my kids restrictive logins so they can't mess things up too bad. When they do manage to FUBAR their PC it is a simple wipe and redo.

Top Bottom