Banned Norinco 7.62x39 ammo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Im looking for info on some 7.62x39 ammo that I have. Its labeled Norinco Chima Sports. Head stamp 31 93. Apparently it has been banned for importation for a few years now. Is this stuff steel core or lead core? Collectible? What is the going price on this stuff?

See pics:
    cCei7ax.jpg

BSy0s4g.jpg

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Search for "7.62x39 31 93". I can tell you that it was made in factory 31 in 1992 or 93. Pretty sure it isn't steel core. Could be wrong though.

Price wise, it runs about the same as most surplus ammo $5-$10 per 20/rounds.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I guess Im just trying to figure out if I should sacrifice 1 of the 900 rounds that I have to see if its a steel core or not by cutting it open.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    You can thank Bill Clinton for banning the import of AKs and SKSs as well as the ammo you have.

Collectable? No.
    Steel core? Not that I remember. Easy to check with a magnet though.
    Value? Price what similar Tula ammo goes for.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    cant see bullet from pic, but if the pill is the exact same color as case.. Yes. Its mildly barrier defeating.. better than the new stuff.. not as good as the older stuff.. lol

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    RCM192,
    I have several cases of the exact ammo you have pictured ( Headstamp and packaging), purchased back when it was $1.99 a box, lol. It is NOT steel core, the steel core norinco was packed in yellow boxes with red lettering, the cases were lacquered instead of copper washed. I will provide pics of both the headstamp and the package for you.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Just stick a good magnet to it and u can tell if it is steel.

What if it's steel jacketed? I thought the only true way to tell was to pull a bullet. Am I wrong?
    I only have a few hundred steel core that came in unmarked brown paper with Chinese writing on them. I keep them in the "special" magazines.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I shot up 1000's of rds of Yellow Box "copper washed steel cased" that was steel core. I also shot up shitloads of lacquered steel cased, steel core.

I still have a few cases of Russian steel core, lacquered steel cases.

Bet you don't see alot of that

The only way to tell is cut one.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    If i am correct in my remembering, the ammo in this tin is steel core. It was purchased in the early 90's. Anyone have an idea what the unopened tin is worth?
    Also curious to know what a box of these norinco go for.

984a5de204e9fee229f0c473ea63b682.jpg
    a0f12123cf4c19fc369541be8551a081.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If i am correct in my remembering, the ammo in this tin is steel core. It was purchased in the early 90's. Anyone have an idea what the unopened tin is worth?
    Also curious to know what a box of these norinco go for.

Unopened, you would have to provide a lot of evidence unless the buyer already knows it is steel core. 2-3 years ago it was going for $1 - $2 per round.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Sorry for the necro bump, but I wanted to answer the OP's question. I had one case of the ammo in the original post, and it was copper washed steel over a lead core. I also found it was mildly corrosive despite being told that it was non-corrosive when I purchased it.

Now for a little tidbit of information. One day, I had fun experimenting with trees on my grandmother's property out in the country by shooting them. The steel jacket over a lead core ammo penetrated better than the steel cored China Jing ammo that I had on hand. Also, I found the Norinco ammo to be way more accurate than the comparable Wolf ammo in both my SKS and AK-style rifles.

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    RCM192,
    I have several cases of the exact ammo you have pictured ( Headstamp and packaging), purchased back when it was $1.99 a box, lol. It is NOT steel core, the steel core norinco was packed in yellow boxes with red lettering, the cases were lacquered instead of copper washed. I will provide pics of both the headstamp and the package for you.
    This

The Russian version is what I have in the tins from the late 80's gunshows. Back when a tin cost a little more than a $59 SKS...I only bought them because it was so cheap and I knew it would store well. Back then you actually got a free key with every tin you bought.
    Some brilliant liberals figured that this "armor piercing" ammo could be used in the AK pistols and decided that further import should be banned. Whatever damage they can do they will.

Top Bottom