1954 Springfield M1 Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I got this from CMP and bought a new stock for it. I need to find someone that can slightly modify the stock so I can get the trigger guard closed. It's been this way for 3 or 4 years and I got frustrated and almost just threw it away. I have tried forcing the hell out of it. I do not want to do it myself because I know I will f*ck up the stock. I know a tight stock is a good stock. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I followed the advice in the first sticky thread in the "How To's" section on the CMP forum. The most important tip I found in fitting the stock was the first picture in the 4th post. Basically creating a clearance on the top edges of the receiver portion just where they tell you so the stock can flex in to the receiver. Sand or file little bits at a time and trial fit frequently.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I feel your pain I'd hate to remove wood and end up with a loose fit. I think I'd hate more not shooting my rifle. If you sure it's assembled and seated correctly I don't think you can hurt anything be a little extra force or the smack of a rubber hammer.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    Hello Flamatrix, try Mr John Thompson in Thibodaux La . military trained extremely very pleased with the work he has done on my M1 1-706-615-5303

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Do not go whittling away at that stock just yet, first, ensure that the barreled action is seating fully and not interfering with the rear hg and front of the stock, also make sure that the barrel and op rod are not touching the stock.
    When u get that far, try to install the tg. If it will go within 1/4 of closing, use your full body weight and snap it in. If not then you must scrape the pads, scrape not sand.

Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    I purchased A CMP "Special" and the trigger group was tight. Dead blow hammer took care of the problem. Light blow was all it took.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom