>44 Magnum Carbine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1187Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Hi All,
    I just picked up a Ruger Deerfield carbine on a trade the other day, I've been wanting one for quite some time.
    It's a great little carbine, quick handling, light weight, points good. I wish it had better sights- the Ruger Ranch style Mini-14 flip up peep sight just seems flimsy and gets knocked down easily. I think it will take certain other Mini -14 aftermarket sights, which I'll try in the future (I just put a little 1-4x scope on it for now, though.)
    Anybody have experience with these guns? I have yet to have or shoot a Ruger long gun that let me down, so I have high hopes for this one.
    I've only had the pleasure of hunting with a .44 rifle once, and one shot was not enough to get a feel for it, other than to confirm that I really wanted one. That was a 77/44 bolt action, and the .44 handload dropped the deer in it's tracks at 120 yards. I was very impressed.
    I'd like to hear what others have experienced with these, or with the older Ruger model 44, or with .44 magnum carbines in general.
    I'd also like to know what people favor for deer and hog loads are for an 18" barrel... I have had .44 handguns in the past, but never a barrel longer than 6.5" so it's new territory. I believe the barrel on this one is 1:20"
    I have never been a fan of long range hunting, so this is the perfect addition to my meager little arsenal, I think.

Cheers
    Dan

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Have one that I haven't shot in over 15 yrs. More sentimental than anything, a family rifle that was purchased in 1976, states it's made on "the year of our 200th anniversary".
    Trigger is poor, which certainly doesn't help with its accuracy. Def easy to handle, but it's not easy to shoot accurately.
    The deer that have been harvested, used 240 JHPs, all under 100yds.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Neat gun, I was always turned off by the mini 14 accuracy, I think I tried like 8 or more eventually finding one that did sub moa, barely.. ended up selling it when things got hard money wise.

1187Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for the input...
    As long as I get 'minute of deer' accuracy out of it I'll be happy. I don't expect it to shoot as good as that 77/44 but I think it fit the bill nicely.
    I just need to get it to the range with some different loads and see what works best, and decide on sights/optics for it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've always wanted one... and it would be a perfect brush gun.

I'd probably just put a red dot on it or improve the irons. A rear peep sight maybe?

with a 10 round mag you'd have a great truck gun.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    From what I've heard they are allot like the Marlin 1894 in that they don't shoot a heavy (normal for 44mag) bullet very accurately. So it may be worth trying something 170 grains are lighter once you get going with it if it doesn't shoot normal 240's or similar very well.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a Marlin that's in low double digits of hogs shot with Hornady Leverevolution (sp?). I really like them. I know others who should them through single shots and they get good results too. Can't offer any advice on the Ruger portion.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

1187Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Going to give the Hornadys a try, I think. They still pack enough weight to be effective at a little more range.
    The factory sight is a little flimsy peep, I may see if there is an aftermarket sight available with a little more substance to it.
    Maybe look into optic mounting options for a red dot or something.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I had an older one for a little while. loaded like a shotgun. Took some real coaxing to get it going. I shot 240's on top of H110 through it. Now I have a Rossi 92 .44mag w/20" barrel. Think I'll keep it a little while longer.

1187Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Do you happen to know the twist of the Rossi barrel? I have confirmed that the Deerfield is 1:20" like the 77/44.
    It's a bit faster twist than the Marlin rifles, so should handle a heavier bullet pretty good. I think the older Ruger 44 carbines had slower twist rates, but I'm not sure.
    Still, going to try 240s first and work my way up or down from there.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a late 60's model that I've always found accurate. It likes the 180 grain soft tips made by Rem UMC. Trigger is about the same as the old 10/22's. Wish they made a mag that held more than 4 rounds!

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    I had the pleasure of shooting one of these before and loved it. I wish that Ruger would re-introduce theses rifles. Maybe in different calibers too! 9mm .40 .45 etc.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The newer Deerfield 44 has a 1:20 twist and will shoot heavier bullets fine. The limiting factory is the length of the cartridge that will first in the magazine. The old model Ruger 44 carbines had a tubular magazine and the limiting factor is what would cycle through the action and the 1:38 twist which was good up to 240gr bullets.
    There is a scope rail made that will fit on the Deerfield that locks into the factory scope bases on the rifle and then you can put whatever optic you want on it--scope or red dot. It also provides for more adjustment of the scope for eye relief or length of scope between the rings. The Deerfield I had was capable of 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with select 240gr handloads.

1187Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Thought I'd throw in a couple bad pics...
    Cheap 1-4x AR scope on it now.

20160209_094612.jpg20160209_094627.jpg

Top Bottom