Making Drip Bags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    On WMA property, using urine scent is acceptable. So I started buying Code Blue scents but don't want to go broke doing so. No I'm taking the urine from hogs I clean and freezing it in zip lock bags. I've been trying to find the best way to use these scents and now I believe I've found a way... drip bags and leg traps. If I put a drip bag of hog urine high in a tree and let it drip near my leg trap, I'm creating constant scent overnight (overnight scent production is preferable to day time). As far as I can tell this does not break any WMA rules. Hog urine also has the desired effect of only attracting hogs, not deer.

So my question to you experts is this... how do I make cheap homemade drip bags? (Internet searches are not generating many ideas).

I'm thinking of a 2-liter bottle upside down with a small puncture in the cap, but it's got to be more difficult than that.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I think I've found a solution... hampster water bottles. 16 oz bottles available from Amazon Prime for $7. The package even states "expect a little leakage" from the stainless steel ball bearings at the end of the drinking tube.

Fill the bottle with urine as I'm cleaning a hog, put bottle (upright) in freezer, bring frozen bottle to trapping site (ensure no leakage during this stage), screw on the lid with the drinking tube, turn upside down, hoist above/near trap. Other than ensuring I don't get a backpack full of urine, this sounds pretty tight.

Whadya think?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    If u are removing urine from dead hogs and u get 1 iota of blood or other contaminant into the urine ,it will not work. The hogs are smarter than that. What's the purpose of freezing the potion? You would be doing more harm than good. Check on using leg traps on wma,s especially in bear country.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Or better yet... cut a very tiny hole in the bottom corner of the zip lock (which contains the frozen urine), then hang the zip lock so that cut corner is facing downward creating a constant slow drip.

Less bulky, cheaper, and more spill proof than hampster water bottles.

Yes or no ??

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Blue Diamond... thanks for contaminant advise.

I am not in bear country (already checked on that). I spoke with WMA New Orleans Enforcement yesterday (that's my area) and after a bit of a conversation and him doing research he gave me the go-ahead for leg traps. Just need to figure out legal scent lures and locating traps where dogs are not likely to be in Feb.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Right now the dog season for hog is ongoing through Feb. 28 on many WMA's. Pearl River may be shut down till further notice because of flooding and they usually have a ton of hog dog hunters. I used to be there until I passed 60. Can't hang anymore.

Top Bottom